Unique to Aikido?

Posted by: Ames

Unique to Aikido? - 01/05/09 05:46 PM

Going through some of the past threads, I've noticed that a lot of the discussions have dealt with Aikido in comparison to other arts, often MMA. Usually, this is done to express what Aikido doesn't have. For a change of pace, I'd like to know what everyone thinks Aikido has that other arts don't, or what they found in Aikido that they didn't find in other arts (or that wasn't as prevalent).

To start the ball rolling, I'll give my two cents. What I find unique in Aikido is that it's philosophy of non-violence (which should not be confused with being passive), is backed up by the actual techniques practiced. I honestly can't think of another martial art in which this quality is so pervasive, nor where the ethical/philosophical side is so intrinsic to an arts study.

--Chris
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Unique to Aikido? - 01/05/09 08:08 PM

I am not an Aikidoka, though I have trained with a few. But, the thing I have always admired about Aikido is, I think, one of the most basic: footwork. I spend months and years trying to teach proper footwork in HKD to teach that moving in, intercepting, blending, circling, and eventually running the opponent out of his/her own balance and space. I think it's usually called blending (could be wrong) in Aikido, but I'm constantly lookikng for ways to describe to my students to move in and steal that persons space, steal their balance, claim thier center of gravity as your own and watch how easy it becomes to throw them right out of it.

From what I've seen, Aikido is very good at instilling that concept. I've wanted for some time to take some Aikido specifically for that purpose. But, I'm finding that at the higher ranks of Hapkido, it starts to look more and more similar to Aikido. Just keeping control of the circles and making sure you're on the tighter one than the person you're trying to throw/avoid/escape from. Long story short, it's the balance and footwork.

Hope that makes sense; it is late in the day.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Unique to Aikido? - 01/06/09 02:09 PM

Breathing and Relaxation I would say. Aikido is the most relaxing martial art I have ever done. By relaxing I mean I was mentally and physically relaxed while moving dynamically. Once I had that sensation, a new world opened up for me.

I also found it to be a great art in demostrating techniques vs. principles. Prior to Aikido, I had done some TKD and Western Ju Jitsu (WJJF). These arts proudly boasted of thousands of techniques that their systems included. Aikido was great at showing how a few strong principles (e.g. balance, centering, relaxation, awareness, sensitivity) properly learned have infinite application. A technique is a technique. It does one or two things. Outside of its small box, it has no use. Techniques are limiting, principles are endless. I know some other arts favour principles over technique, but I haven't seen it stressed as much as in Aikido.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Unique to Aikido? - 01/06/09 04:57 PM

How about NOT using blocks?

A few classes ago we were practicing against strikes and were told to block. It might have been a teaching technique. Who would know? They never say. But a block, as opposed to a deflection, hurts. It raises welts and bruises that do not happen with normal deflections and misdirections.
Posted by: Ames

Re: Unique to Aikido? - 01/07/09 01:46 PM

Good call on the stress placed on principles, rather than just technique Prizewriter. I tend to agree that, although present in a lot of other arts, this aspect tends to be more prominent in Aikido. The only other arts I've studied which share a similar stress on principles over techique is (no suprise) Koryu arts.

I think this is one of the most underrated aspects of Aikido, actually. Just today, the Sensei at the dojo I've just started attending, was showing how the angled entry into a technique can actually be a set up for a strike. What I was a little shocked by was how much he looked like a boxer doing the atemi. Interesting, because I'm positive he never studied boxing.

What is interesting out of this is how, once taken in, the principles can be transferred to so many skill sets: from the muay thai clinch, judo, ground fighting, or striking. At least this has been my experience so far.

iaibear: yeah, I think that that is a definite positive for Aikido (the lack of hard blocks). But, as far as I'm concerned, the redirection's are really only the gravy. What is more important is the footwork that moves you to a safer position, to strike, clich, throw, or lock from there. Sorry to keep going back to it, but, again, I see this as being similar to boxing, where, rather than blocking, you move to a better angle to strike from immediately.

--Chris
Posted by: katana

Re: Unique to Aikido? - 01/16/10 06:08 PM

id say one of aikido's best features is because the technique comes on gently it is very hard to resist, because it is hard to know which way technique is going. and normally when you realise you are already locked up and in the bag. plus technique can be changed and direction changed very quickly.

train safe