Defensive techniques against kicks...

Posted by: MarkStokmans

Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/05/09 03:52 AM

Hello, I am new to this forum so perhaps I am bringing in a subject which already has been covered. I scanned all thread subjects however and could not find anyone dealing with the question I would like to pose to you:

For the past 4 years I have been working on integrating basic kicking forms (mae-geri and mawashi-geri) into Aikido and coming u with suitable defensive forms (keri-waza). This goals was brought on by my breif stints of jiu-jitsu and muay thai training. I found if very peculiar that kicking was not a part of aikido curriculum. It is such a basic form of attack that any art pretending to be a martial art IMHO should realise that legs are effective weapons. During the course of this "study" I talked and corresponded to many aikido to figure out why keri-waza was ignored.

The result of this study has been a book Aikido, Keri-waza which I wrote and which deals with not only a theoretical and technical background but with a number of techniques. Now most people think I had to invent new techniques but actually the basic aikido techniques (slightly adapted to a leg attack) were sifficient.

I would like to ask members of this forum what kind of experience they have with kick attacks in their aikido training: if they have experience, how that is for them, if they miss it, etcetera.

Mark
Posted by: Ames

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/05/09 05:07 PM

Before I reply to the topic (which I think is a good one) I'm going to have make you aware that there is a 'no advertising rule' in effect. However, as I say, I think your post is interesting, and isn't the type of spam this rule was meant to combat, and I don't personally see anything wrong with having a dialogue about an issue you feel passionate enough about to write a book on. So I'll leave it as is.

Quote:

This goals was brought on by my breif stints of jiu-jitsu and muay thai training. I found if very peculiar that kicking was not a part of aikido curriculum.

I haven't spent an enormous amount of time in each of the styles of Aikido, but I'd like to point out that there are techniques against kicks taught in many dojo's out there, I know for a fact Yoshinkan teaches them, as well as Yoseikan (which has the most techniques against kicks out of all the styles of Aikido). Also, many Aikikai dojo's train against kicks.

The reason we don't see a lot of techniques against kicks in Aikido is, for better or worse, because there aren't a lot of these techniques in the Koryu Jujutsu styles from which Aikido sprang. As one of my teachers put it "Samurai didn't like to take their feet off the ground for a very long time", and this is for a variety of reasons, but one of the main ones is the armour they would be wearing. Many forms of more modern Koryu, such as Daito Ryu, which were made more for the civilian, do have kicks in the waza.

Quote:

It is such a basic form of attack that any art pretending to be a martial art IMHO should realise that legs are effective weapons.

Like I say, I just want to point out that there are some techniques in Aikido which do make use of kicks--Yoshinkan for example. The very first waza of Daito Ryu (Ippon Dori) also has a kick.

Quote:

During the course of this "study" I talked and corresponded to many aikido to figure out why keri-waza was ignored.

I'd like to hear some of their perspectives on this (and your doing so will be a good way to prove that I am right in my belief that you aren't just advertising, but interested in having a disscussion of this topic).

Quote:

Now most people think I had to invent new techniques but actually the basic aikido techniques (slightly adapted to a leg attack) were sifficient.

Yep, this is what I have been taught as well, and, from my experiance is fairly common. Many of the basic movements of Aikido work well to either

a) avoid the kick
b) take the kick and dissipate some of it's power

Of course, you have to actually train against kicks to make use of this.

Quote:

I would like to ask members of this forum what kind of experience they have with kick attacks in their aikido training: if they have experience, how that is for them, if they miss it, etcetera.

Certainly, in my Aikido training, my experiance with kicks has been less than someone in Karate or Muay Thai. A few things I have learned through Aikido is

a) Watch the signals: often if someone is about to kick, something will alert you to that. From here you do what you do against a punch: go outside the range of the attack, or inside, either grabbing the leg, or applying some other technique which takes advantage of your temporaliy unbalanced opponent.

b) From an Aikido and Daito Ryu standpoint, I've rarely seen nage appply a kick until uke was already in a disadvantaged position. Often, a kick thrown by nage serves the secondary function of applying further tension into the controlled joint.

--Chris

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/08/09 02:31 PM

Anyone else care to weigh in on using Aikido against kicks?

--Chris
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/08/09 03:31 PM

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post16013285

There is a lot of stuff re kicking and Aikido in this thread, especially in the first few pages.

I once read Ueshiba Sensei didn't like taking his feet off the ground too much. It was some concept of seperating yourself from the earth, which would decrease your power/balance.

I have heard similar ideas in Chinese IMA. Force is grounded through strong, rooted posture, and generated the same way. As a Xing Yi Quan teacher once said to me, his Chinese teacher would tell him to "Strike with the earth!"

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/08/09 04:09 PM

Prize, yeah I realized that we had somewhat recently talked about kicking in Aikido, but to be honest, I kind of feel that thread degenerated and the topic hadn't been explored fully. Also, I'd like to explore this topic on more of 'how an Aikidoka might deal with kicks' level. If that makes sense.

Interesting, that tidbit about Ueshiba though. I have heard the same thing about Sogaku Takeda.

--Chris
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/09/09 02:42 AM

Mark,

I must say it's a little disingenious to introduce your book as a point of discussion after the fact. It might've been a different proposition had you asked for comments and discussion prior to writing the book.

Nevertheless, congratulations on your new book - perhaps any ensuing discussion here may help bloster sales.

I think it generally depends on the school and instructor - geri waza and defenses against kicks may be dealt with in some depth or not at all. My personal feeling is that it's not generally dealt with formally as part of a curriculum because all kicking techniques can generally be countered quite easily with taisabaki or by adjusting one's timing and ma-ai.

IOW, it's generally not necessary to "defend" against a kick, when quite often a well-timed irimi is all that's needed - and whatever happens next is usually dependent on uke's recovery response (if any) which most likely dictates any subsequent "technique".

But, I'm sure your book would be a good resource to give people ideas of what kind of techniques *could* work.

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/13/09 11:18 AM

Dear all. Thanks for the reactions. I do realize that my post is just on the edge of advertising a commercial product. However, it is not meant as such. If I ever wanted to make mondo bucks off of a book I wouldn't write one about Aikido and certainly not one about Aikido and kicks.

I did not find this forum during my first research but did visit some others. I guess my forum searching skills were not that good. So now, as for the subject.

The attention given to kicks as described by Ames is not one which I recognize. (I have limited my reserach to Aikikai Aikido by the way). I do know that many dojo teach techniques at times, but there is a difference between touching on the subject at times and making it a fixed part of curriculum and training.

There are many reasons given not to train in Keri-waza. What I mean by Keri-waza buy the way is techniques to defend against kicks. Uke is using kicks, not tori. (geri-waza by the way Eyrie has more to do with activities at the end of the digestive tract as I have been told). The most common are: too dagerous for uke (ukemi concerns), a kick is not really dangerous, uke's balance is compromised because he lifts a foot from the floor, training in regular aikido waza gives you enough tools to deal with a kick, the tradition argument I have encountered a lot (as Ames states as well) and one nice one: 'Kicks are not necessary in Aikido. Animals use their feet, not humans.' Since my first conclusions and counters to these arguments wich are included in the book, I have yet to encounter new reasons why there are no kicks. What I have seen however that the reasoning behind the arguments is not always reasonable.

What is interesting as well is to see why there should be kicks in aikido. A kick is a lickely attack nowadays, seeing as we don't wear armour anymore (;-). Besides that uke's get better at ukemi, their range of attacks is larger, tori is more aware to uke's offensive capablities; working with a weapon of a different length teaches tori to have more flexibel view on ma-ai. Liberness, flexibility, balance, martial sense, endurance, it all improves. An aikido that can kick well, and that can defend against kicks is a more complete aikidoka.

Mark

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/14/09 12:45 PM

Mr. Stokmans, thanks for the reply.

I don't understand this comment:

Quote:

the tradition argument I have encountered a lot (as Ames states as well) and one nice one: 'Kicks are not necessary in Aikido. Animals use their feet, not humans.'

Because, reading my post again, I don't think I said anything like that. Moving past that, you say

Quote:

What is interesting as well is to see why there should be kicks in aikido. A kick is a lickely attack nowadays, seeing as we don't wear armour anymore (;-). Besides that uke's get better at ukemi, their range of attacks is larger, tori is more aware to uke's offensive capablities; working with a weapon of a different length teaches tori to have more flexibel view on ma-ai. Liberness, flexibility, balance, martial sense, endurance, it all improves. An aikido that can kick well, and that can defend against kicks is a more complete aikidoka.

Which I (mostly) agree with. Stanley Prannin had a nice article a few years back on what he see's as the importance of better training in attacks for uke's, so that the attacks are more realistic.

--Chris
Posted by: MattyChi

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/14/09 04:30 PM

I would be interested to see the effects of using kotegaish on someone's ankle in the same way as a wrist haha.

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/15/09 03:19 AM

Chris: sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean you were saying that humans don't use their legs. I was actually stating two different arguments I have heard in too short a sentence I can now see.

Tha tradition argument, in other words, deffense against kick attacks are traditionaly not part of the technical background of aikido so we don't do it, is often encountered. That is what I meant. People who talk with disdain about kicks because they feel it is too base a form of attack,....well, let's say it is a different argument (a slightly ridiculous one in my honest opinion) all together.

Matty: a kote gaeshi is possible. But you won't see an exact replica of the kotegaeshi to a wrist (because the wrist joint is different than an ankle joint). However the basic body movements and movement principlise for kote gaeshi on a wrist can be used on a leg (if you manage to catch the leg) and so we call that technique kote gaeshi.

The effect by the way is bringing uke to the ground in quite a convincing manner.

Mark

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/15/09 08:07 PM

And it wouldn't be called "kote-gaeshi" anyway...
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/16/09 12:35 PM

I'll just add my two cents here for whatever it is worth. First, I agree with Eyrie, that defense against kicks relies first upon sound body movement and angling.

However, what's always taken out of conext, I think, is the level of ability of the kicker (or puncher) who exists in this arena more so than perhaps another stylist, especially if that person in vetted in harder use such as MT fights applying his kicks against a person fully aware that he is going to kick.

In that case, these individuals within their systems have actively built up awareness and detection of kicks, and deceptive methods to hide their intentions of kicking all the while appyling kicks.

This, I am unsure, can be overcome simply by adding defenses to a system that originally did not accomodate kicking and which would not have requisite 'time in' against competent kickers in active sparring/competition and use of kicks. The best wat to understand defenses against kicks is to first know how to kick and apply them well.

Also, just as an aside, even though I enjoy kicks and kicking, I have yet to personally see one used in a brawl or fight that has occurred in real life. Granted, haven't seen too many fights, but I have never seen kicking enter into these altercations.

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/19/09 07:34 AM

Eyrie: as far as kote gaeshi relates literally to the wrist being turned no, it couldn't be called that. And yet I have called the leg kote gaeshi by that name because for me the name also represents a principle of movement which finds its expression in the technique on one limb or nay other.

Butterfly: thanks for the two cents. The point you bring up is an important one which we have certainly brought up ourselves on not neglected. First of all let it be said I have trained in various kicking arts, though not to master level by far and have also fought competitions in jiu jitsu fighting system where kicks are allowed.

Having said that though: the work we have done has not stemmed from the idea that we need to make Aikido work against MA's which have kicks. It comes from the idea that a kick is a basic form of attack which in Aikikai Aikido curriculum (certainly official Hombu curriculum) is ignored. That means that we have also incorporated kicks in the same way we would incorporate strikes and punches in aikido: not little jabs and punches trying to score points but real "shinken" spiritted attacks. Not unlike Muay Thai where they aim to kick through their target.

As for adding defenses to a system that did not accomodate kicks: it would be difficult certainly: but aikido and the principle of movement it knows, is actually versatile enough to deal with kicks based on the same principle of movement but with different circumstances and different technical applications. To me the fact that the keri waza we have found fit seamlessly into the overal aikido body of techniques prooves two things:
- a kicks is basic attack that can and should be included;
- aikido is ready for keri waza.

As for practical applications in "real life", unfortunately I have ran into situations (first hand) where kicks were the first things dealt. Now in the Netherlands kick boxing and muay thai are very popular, as is soccer so aggresive people on the street tend to kick more here. And I can tell you, it hurts.

Mark

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/19/09 03:03 PM

This, I am unsure, can be overcome simply by adding defenses to a system that originally did not accomodate kicking and which would not have requisite 'time in' against competent kickers in active sparring/competition and use of kicks. The best wat to understand defenses against kicks is to first know how to kick and apply them well.

I also agree with this:

Quote:

Which is why I'd like to see more dojo's have specific 'uke development' classes, where basic kicking and punching skill is developed. I remember my first Sensei did something like this. He was less than thrilled with our striking, so he brought in a Goju teacher to show us basic kicks and punches, once a week for a couple of months (we mostly focused on punching though). Even though none of us became experts in striking from this, the caliber of our Aikido did improve, because we were able to work against more realistic attacks.

That all being said, there comes a point where you just can't train for every instance. And I think that eyrie is right when he says that other attributes built through regular Aikido practice may often help against deceptive kicking. This is a similar situation to the jab/cross combo. The beginner Aikidoka will often be tricked into going for the jab, meanwhile he gets flattened by the cross. However, more advanced practitioners, who have put the time in and worked against combination attacks, will do as well as anyone against these kinds of attacks by careful attention to maai, and timing.

The thing is, you have to start somewhere. And that place, as far as Aikido is concerned, is with simple attacks. I think most will echo my opinion here that it is difficult enough to get the hang of working against a simple attack initially, let alone throwing combinations at someone from day one. Most, however, don't go beyond this level, so they are unaware that Aikido does have responses to more advanced attacks (although I agree kicking is not often dealt with).

Which is why (talking to Mr. Stokmans now), part of my questions the need to really train against kicks to any large degree before one reaches a more advanced level. At that, point I see no problem with putting the principles learned against kicks, the clinch, groundfighting, whatever. That thing is, you have to learn those principles first.

(Just speaking in general now)
I guess what I'm saying (and I have been guilty of this too, very much so), is that to some degree we need to have some faith that the path we are being guided on is a good one; that the sites one will see on this path are of immense value. It isn't a matter of merely seeing, it is a matter of being open enough to see in a new way.

The answer to 'what would I do against technique X' is always the same: do the best thing in answer to it, at the right time. With an empty and open mind (the kind of mind Aikido seeks to cultivate) this answer should (ideally) always present itself instantaneously. And I think that the cultivation of this mind might be the heart of Aikido.

But what do I know? (not much)

--Chris

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/19/09 07:59 PM

Regarding the point about "uke development", I just wanted to say that IMO, the role of uke is the more important one - not just as a "training dummy" to assist with tori's development, but as an integral aspect of the art itself - and I don't mean just simply "taking ukemi".

Having come from a kicking art prior to doing aikido, I can definitively say this: Aikido is far more effective because of it's inherent simplicity (and complexity!). There are only so many ways to kick - and they all fall within 3 planes of movement - just like the "basic" strikes in Aikido.

Kicks below the waist are hard to defend - stepping in at the right time is tricky, but not impossible. Anything above the waist can be treated in a *similar way* to hand attacks, bearing in mind the joints of the leg work in the opposite way to the joints of the arm. By "similar", I mean, that a kick would fall in the same 3 planes of motion as a hand technique, and that the same principles of dealing with straight line or curvilinear motion in 3 planes would still apply.

Having said that, would I apply shihonage to a roundhouse kick, as I would a yokomen uchi? I doubt it... Could I? Maybe... if it was the "right" thing to do. Would it "look" like shihonage? I highly doubt it...
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/20/09 09:42 AM

<< The answer to 'what would I do against technique X' is always the same: do the best thing in answer to it, at the right time. With an empty and open mind (the kind of mind Aikido seeks to cultivate) this answer should (ideally) always present itself instantaneously. And I think that the cultivation of this mind might be the heart of Aikido. >>

"Instantaneously" implies motor memory, which implies drilling, which does not happen in my dojo. Not exactly an ideal world.

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/21/09 06:37 AM

@ Ames: I agree you cannot train for every eventuality. And I also agree with you that aikido can prepare you for kicks. But my opinion is that a kick is not just an eventuality, it is a basic attack and dealing with a basic attack should be part of basic practice, not just advanced practice. We have a lot of variations in grab attacks ad defenses against every possible combination of these grab attacks but not one against kicking attacks. This te me is not logical.

@ Eyrie: dealing with kicks is very similar, I agree completely, but it is not the same. So firstly we are already largely prpeared to practice with kicks so integrating it is no problem but secondly it is different enough to warrant practice. In principle you only get one chance at saving your live in a real altercation, no use to start practicing then.

And Shihonage, yes, it can be applied to a roundhouse, its in the book as well. Same principles, similar movements, different mai-ai speed and hara sabaki. You would recognize it when done. Check out:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=crOTNiXujIg for various techniques in training setting. There is a Shiho nage but it is not visible that well. There is Uchi kaiten sankyo which is comparable to the shiho nage solution. If you want I could send you a shiho nage example.

@ iaibear: drilling is nothing more than high intensity training with a lot of repitition. But it must start with training. and that is m point, if you do not train with kicks you will never learn how to deal with them well. You might get lucky and you might be able to use what other things you have learned, but I prefer to look at what can be considered as basic attacks and train against them.

Mark

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/21/09 01:52 PM

Quote:

Ames: I agree you cannot train for every eventuality. And I also agree with you that aikido can prepare you for kicks. But my opinion is that a kick is not just an eventuality, it is a basic attack and dealing with a basic attack should be part of basic practice, not just advanced practice. We have a lot of variations in grab attacks ad defenses against every possible combination of these grab attacks but not one against kicking attacks. This te me is not logical.

Well, I think everyone at some point needs to address areas of their training that they feel weak in for whatever reason.

That being said, I do see logic in not dealing with kicks from the get go, and instead focusing in on grabs, and the traditional hand strikes. In the end, those things are difficult enough to grasp on an Aiki level, and they do have enormous crossover (imo) to other areas of combat. By focusing on those aspects, the hope is that one internalizes the principles. Once that is accomplished (a major feat, and something I've yet to do to any great degree), then I think it is logical to apply those principles against different types of attacks and in different settings, be it against kicks or groundfighting etc.

That is not to say the principles couldn't be learned by the inclusion of kicking techniques, only that I don't see it being neccessary, as I am convinced that the first 5 -10 years of Aikido practice have little to do with learning anymore than the barest bones of self defence skills, and have more to do with grasping the principles of the art, and deeply expressing those principles in all your movements--both bodily and mentally. For that reason, I think the current method of relaying the information pretty much suffices.

Actually, I would like to see the focus on techniques decrease a little. I would like to see the internal elements brought out on a more of surface level of instruction, and directly be taught things like the standing posts we see Ueshiba doing in pictures.

--Chris

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 01/21/09 07:07 PM

Chris,

This post tells me that you are on the cusp of discovering what, IMO, is and has always been in Aikido - except for the fact that the trees have largely been missed for the forest. Congratulations!

The principle reasons for the focus on grabs and te-waza is for the initiate to discover the difference between using physical and muscular strength vs using the fundamental physical forces of nature (i.e. gravity and the equal and opposite GRF, vector forces, etc.) and the basic physical principles that allow work to be done with less effort (i.e. levers, pulleys, wedges and spirals).

IMO, Aikido is nothing more than Martial Arts 101 and 102 - at least in the first 5 years. Like any course of study, there is always further education involved, that takes the initiate to greater depths and breadth, in and further afield.

But what I really wanted to address is this:
Quote:

Actually, I would like to see the focus on techniques decrease a little. I would like to see the internal elements brought out on a more of surface level of instruction, and directly be taught things like the standing posts we see Ueshiba doing in pictures.

IMO, Aikido "techniques" aren't like jujitsu techniques - even though they *may* look like them. Although, there are good reasons for starting the initiate off with jujitsu techniques, because they teach the basic physical principles and laws of physics and basic anatomy.

So, rather than view Aiki "techniques" as a sort of related cousin to jujitsu in terms of doing something to someone, my suggestion would be to look upon them as a "way" to practice Aiki (aka Aiki-Do).

IOW, the question is not what other forms of practice (e.g. standing post etc.) that could be included, but WHAT is being practiced, and HOW to practice "it". It's kinda like saying the form of taiji is what develops the internal elements (which isn't true BTW), rather than developing the internal elements which are outwardly expressed in the form of one's taiji (or Aikido, or Karate, or insert other art).

I would suggest that the WHAT is already in Aikido, but the HOW is generally what's missing - and I appreciate the reasons WHY that may be.

Back on topic... I don't have a problem with the suggestion that kicking and defenses against kicks should be introduced as a formal part of a curriculum. That's something people need to decide for themselves. That said, I believe understanding how the human anatomy works and what its limitations are is fundamental. Understanding the ways in which the human anatomy can be used, and in what circumstances, as long range, mid-range and short range weapons is crucial. Understanding the strategic and tactical options for dealing with various scenarios is the basis of all martial arts.
Posted by: AliD

Re: Defensive techniques against kicks... - 12/07/09 07:58 PM

Hi if I may jump in with my opinion and the way I see it from a basic point of view.
For me Aikido makes use of the hyperextension of joints and ligaments more specifically designed around the arms as they were used in majority of samurai warfare.But a leg although alot stronger can also only be extended so far.
Simply put if they basics can be applied to the arm the same techniques can be applied to the legs.
Understandably there would have to be the awareness of the possibility of kicking and some training may be needed for this but the basics in place should adequately deal with a kick.

Thought: Irime into a round house kick and do a leg kote-gaeshi on the knee and I want to see the person who stands up from that!