Looking for a great Aikijujitsu school in Toronto

Posted by: kare

Looking for a great Aikijujitsu school in Toronto - 12/30/08 07:20 PM

I currently teach and have been progressing through MMA, grappling, judo for about 8 years now. I have always been interested in the old systems of fighting and now looking for a great school/teacher in Toronto.....know any?
Posted by: Ames

Re: Looking for a great Aikijujitsu school in Toronto - 12/31/08 01:28 PM

You came to the right place with this question.

For Daito Ryu, the only teacher of authentic DR in Ontario is Joseph Wilson. He trained in Japan with Okaboyashi Shogen Sensei, and he teaches Hakuho Ryu Aikibudo (which contains the full waza of Daito Ryu and Ono Ha Itto Ryu Kenjutsu). As far as I know, Joseph is not teaching publicly at the moment, and I'm not sure if he is accepting new students or not. He is a great teacher, and I have nothing but good things to say about him.

The other legitimate group in Toronto is Shindo Yoshin Ryu. While not related to Daito Ryu, at its higher levels, Shindo Yoshin does have Aikijujutsu Waza. Aside from the jujutsu waza, there are also alot of weapons taught in Shindo Yoshin Ryu. This dojo is currently looking for new students, and if you are sincere and go there with an open mind, I'm sure they would be happy to have you.

If you are interested in contact info for either of these options, p.m. me.

Though not technically 'Aikijujutsu', the other option is Yoshinkan Aikido, taught by Kimeda Sensei at Younge and Gerard. Kimeda is a really good teacher. The kind of Aikido he teaches is very similar to the jujutsu waza of Daito Ryu. Yoshinkan Aikido comes from the period when Ueshiba was still giving out Daito Ryu certificates, not Aikido, so that should tell you something there. That being said, there are some major differences, which I won't go into here because that's off topic. They also teach Iaido and Jodo there. The level of instruction is great, and Kimeda is very powerful. My only problem with his dojo is that sometimes it's just too packed. But if you go to the lunch classes, this isn't a problem.

With your background in Judo, the closest art would probably be the Shindo Yoshin Ryu, as some of the throws of Judo come from Yoshin Ryu and you'll find a lot of immediate cross over.

--Chris
Posted by: kare

Re: Looking for a great Aikijujitsu school in Toronto - 01/01/09 09:54 PM

Thanks Chris for advice!!

I'am very interested in taking a look at Shindo Yoshin Ryu, if you could give me the contact info that would be great! I just moved to mississauga and looking for somewhere close. I know of the other dojo at Younge and Gerard, I heard so much about it. Kimeda Sensei is well known, it's just the distence thing!

thanks Kare
Posted by: Ames

Re: Looking for a great Aikijujitsu school in Toronto - 01/02/09 05:35 PM

Oh, I didn't realize you were in the Saga. Well here's the website for the Shindo Yoshin group:

http://www.koryucanada.com/

Thing is, they are located at near University and Bloor, so I don't think it will be easy for you to get to.

I would check these guys out myself:

http://www.geocities.com/aikibudo_ontario/aikibudo_webpage.htm

Their webpage doesn't seem to have been updated for a bit, but I think they are still out there. They practice Yoseikan Aikibudo, and are quite good, I might add. Yoseikan is a blend of early Aikido, Koryu Jujutsu, Judo, Kenjutsu and Karate. It was developed by one of Ueshiba Sensei's earliest students. As you progress in training, you begin to learn some Daito Ryu waza, as far as I understand. I strongly recommend this group, and, based on the little I know of your past martial experiance, I would say that they might be just what you're looking for.

Make sure you let us know how it goes.

--Chris