Aikido in normal life...

Posted by: SBudda

Aikido in normal life... - 03/04/08 03:44 PM

As I approach my one year anniversary of practicing Aikido, I find myself reflecting on how far I've come. While I'm still nowhere near close to the ability of the senior students or my senseis; I'm starting to become comfortable enough with the basics that some techniques start to show up in normal life. Oftentimes without conscious thought.

For instance, I happen to be a smoker. I have no excuse except that I'm an idiot, and I will eventually quit. That having been said, as a smoker I have a very close physical relationship with my lighter. Not that way . Oftentimes, I will pull my lighter from my pocket upside down. I've noticed that when this happens, my body tends to do a neat little flip move that turns it the proper orientation - a flip move that I cannot replicate consciously. At least, that's what I used to do...

Now, when I don't think about it - and both of my hands are free - I find myself doing something different. One of the Aikido hand change positions often used for kote geishi. Again, if I think about it, I cannot do it - but if I let my body simply do what it thinks needs to be done it's magically right-side up again. Weird.

There are other little things of course.

I was raking my yard the other day and quickly my arms got tired. I have a big yard and I'm pretty poorly conditioned (I should work more on that). About the time that my arms started feeling noodly and I contemplated quitting for the day, my body remembered basic Aikido principles. I found myself doing the first part (up to the turn itself) of the ikkyo tenkan taiso. For the record, this is a great way to rake my yard.

A few months previous I was visiting my parents house, and was out back chasing some little cousins of mine. As I was just about to catch on of them, he dove to the ground in a huddle, trying to get me to overrun him. Unfortunately, he dove right in front of my path - luckily I unconsciously did a forward diving roll - saving him from being squished, and become extra cool to him in the process.

There are a hundred little stories about pushing my lawnmower with ki, or finding myself doing a little tenkan movement as I enter a room to turn on a light switch, or how I now catch objects with a more blending style, or find myself in seiza when playing with nieces - but these are pretty boring; so I'll refrain from going into them further.

My question to the rest of you is this - what ways have you found Aikido sneaking up on you in your normal life?

Peace out.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Aikido in normal life... - 03/04/08 05:43 PM

Quote:

My question to the rest of you is this - what ways have you found Aikido sneaking up on you in your normal life?

If I told you, I'd have to kill you...

It's not so much using Aikido in your day to day chores. It's about using your body in a different way to do your daily chores. Think of it as another avenue for training in the same things off the mat as you do on the mat.

For starters, when you push the lawn mower, relax but lock your arms straight out in front of you and push from your legs and middle. Let the arms simply convey the forces from the feet. When closing the fridge door, touch the door with your finger and use your legs and middle to convey the forces from the ground to your finger.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Aikido in normal life... - 03/04/08 08:01 PM

The fun thing about Aikido, is that you "do things differently" all the time. There isn't a concious redeployment of your force or energy, simply moving the way that you're training to move... so if Aikido is "working", you most probably don't even realize it.

Posted by: The_Master

Re: Aikido in normal life... - 04/22/08 02:53 AM

sometimes your best performance comes from your subconcious. thinking about doing it, can make a delay. but it's like this, your body and mind develop a rythm. have you noticed that waking up with an alarm clock at a set time can build up a natural alarm clock in your brain? your body begins to do things automatically
Posted by: BOYANA

Re: Aikido in normal life... - 04/25/08 09:25 AM

Thank you for sharing your story!