Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... XD)

Posted by: schnupfen

Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... XD) - 12/22/07 10:47 PM

Would anyone out there have any particular method or way of learning/perfecting the forward roll? I've been practicing a few weeks now (Out of a few months of Aikido (Falling! Almost conquered!) But heading back to the dojo after the holidays with the rolling down would be...Great. ^__^ Any methods that worked for you? How long it took? It feels like forever--And it's so fustrating to watch everyone else roll around like no tomorrow. -Grin- Any help would be appreciated!
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/23/07 11:57 AM

I nearly killed myself for eleven years trying to learn to do the forward roll without all the creative and painful landings.

Then someone on line wrote me his secret which I quote freely because I cannot find it.

For a right lead:

Kneel in a tripod with you right knee bent up near your right shoulder. Right foot is 10 or 12 inches to the right of and even with the fingers of your left hand. Your left knee is 10-12 inches behind your left hand.
Bend your right elbow so you are looking down at the back of your right hand. Your right hand, palm down, fingers pointing to the rear, is floating just off the floor. Let it float to the rear between your legs. Follow it through with your head and shoulders.

It was the "follow the floating hand" that did it for me. (When I planted my right hand on the floor like sensei said to, disaster happened between my lead knee and lead elbow. Damn, that hurt!)
Posted by: Cory_Covert

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/23/07 08:37 PM

I practised 50 rolls a day on my kids trampolin. At least it did not have as muc pain.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... XD) - 12/23/07 09:08 PM

When I was teaching rolls in AKK, I would have people start on the shoulder they were using for the roll. So for example, right shoulder roll:

Start with right side of head, right shoulder, right knee and ball of right foot touching the ground. Left leg is off the ground in a "chambered" position. Right arm is palm-up, pointing down the body towards your feet.

Slowly push off your right foot, lifting your left leg over and past your shoulders. Keeping your legs tucked in tight, let the left leg fall forward with the right leg following directly. Keep the left leg tucked in as it hits the ground, and try to land on the right foot.

Gradually increase your starting height, and voila.

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/23/07 09:31 PM

Thanks MattJ. I'll try it that way after Christmas.

Happy Holidays
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/24/07 04:52 AM

3 ways to do it.... practice, practice... and... practice.

It's quicker to show it than to describe it. This is something you could ask your instructor or sempai to help you with.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/24/07 06:43 AM

I teach people to lean over and act like they're trying to pick up a quarter on the floor that they stepped "just a bit too far past" while pushing off with their "trailing" leg.

Whatever method you use, the objective is to keep your body shaped "round". There was a famous film once of a judo master teaching using a child's ball in the class and showing how it's always on balance... no matter how it's pushed, pulled, or turned over. Rather than "tucking up", try to keep the round shape when you roll and you'll find all the force of falling dissipates itself.

I used to fall a couple of hundred times a day, and with no effect. Now, my hip doesn't "close", so I fall with a "bump" in the middle of my falls and they're like "falling in pieces"... which is what you "don't" want to do. Keep it round, and keep it smooth.

Arthritis sucks...

Merry Christmas...

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/24/07 09:01 AM

Quote:

3 ways to do it.... practice, practice... and... practice.

It's quicker to show it than to describe it. This is something you could ask your instructor or sempai to help you with.

Same old problem: "practice" what? If "they" don't say (or once said years ago something that did not work for me) what's to do but guess? Now here are several different things to try.

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/24/07 09:50 AM

Quote:

try to keep the round shape when you roll and you'll find all the force of falling dissipates itself.

Great point, Grady. That was the point of me telling people to tuck their legs in when rolling. That round shape keeps the momentum going. Going "flat" at any point in the roll (ie; extended arms or legs) will stop the momentum. Painfully.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/24/07 11:59 AM

Typed talk is cheap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZKg5kB9uhg

And not to let the back roll feel left out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GioofJfQggE&feature=related

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/25/07 10:21 AM

Great! Now watch that gentleman let his knee cross over the top of his lead elbow without demolishing it. How is that done? I spent eleven painful years and still did not manage that miracle.

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/25/07 10:52 AM

Here's some more "cheap talk"...
the guy in the video does the front roll two different ways.
From the kneeling position, he keeps his elbow inside his knee and rolls, which is correct. In the standing position, he places his elbow outside of his forward leg, which (as Iaibear says)is asking to crush your elbow unless you release your weight forward ahead of your arm. The guy's "round" shape is what makes it work for him, but I always teach students to try to keep their elbows inside their knees when doing a front roll. FWIW...

The trick is in knowing that it doesn't matter how low you bend forward before rolling, so you can always control whether or not your elbows are inside or outside your knees. As you gain experience, you can fall smoothly without having to make all the deep mechanical adjustments because you should "feel" the shape your body is in.

It's also okay to keep your elbows in line with your knees (if you can do that), but you have to adjust your fall angle.

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/25/07 09:04 PM

Y'all crack me up! Seriously, the standing front roll is no different than the kneeling front roll, other than the height at where it starts.

The first poster (schnupfen ) asked for some advice. A picture is worth a 1000 words. A moving one...well you get the point. Yep cheap talk alright.

Deep mechanical adjustments???? There is no trick in knowing anything other than the ground is coming up really fast....I better tuck my chin and roll (the cheap talk is now being replaced by that YouTube video)

Y'all can flame me till you're all tired of typing, but (schnupfen), seriously, watching how something is done, is more beneficial than trying to find the esoteric meaning in an explaination of body mechanics....

Merry Xmas

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/26/07 12:14 PM

Hey Slick,
YOU look at the video and see what you want to see. The guys in the videos did the front roll two different ways, and if you don't understand that, there's no use in discussing it. It's not rocket science, but you're showing someone who's confused enough TWO distinctly different positions.

I agree that the standing and kneeling technique should be the same... unfortunately, the video you posted isn't that way. No flame here, just the fact that you gave them two distinctly different methods to follow. Either one will work in some fashion, but the kneeling one is closer to correct.

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/26/07 12:16 PM

Quote:

Y'all can flame me till you're all tired of typing, but (schnupfen), seriously, watching how something is done, is more beneficial than trying to find the esoteric meaning in an explaination of body mechanics....

Merry Xmas

Who was flaming you? Weren't you the one that said "talk is cheap"?

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/26/07 12:37 PM

MattJ
touché

wristtwister
Fair enough

Now...who wants to comment on how to properly do a ratchet fall

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/27/07 10:30 AM

ratchet fall

I'll bite. What's a ratchet fall?

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/27/07 01:31 PM

Cool...

A ratchet fall is employed when your body just can't catch up to the throw, AND you don't have a limb to help facilitate the fall...

A good wrist technique like kote gaeshi (wrist reversal) is where the uke may have no choice but to execute a ratchet fall. That being said...

If you have time to fall...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Iw0rxWY8M&feature=related

If you don't have time to execute a side fall or back fall...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xnaaUAHJus&feature=related

...plus it just looks cool
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/27/07 02:41 PM

Not trying to be confrontational here... but those looked like well executed falls to me. We call them high falls but it's basically a roll w/ a side fall ending. Both those guys had time to turn and fall and had a hand for slapping the ground with.

So, I'm just confused. Maybe it's just your terminology being differnt from mine. Probably is.

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/27/07 04:33 PM

Hi JMWcorwin,
You're probably right re: terminology..I do seem to recall hearing about high falls from my friends practicing Iwama style Aikido.

I think you're always going to have a hand to slap the mat to dissipate the energy of the throw (and probably instinctively from the many years of taking falls). Plus, I think in these demos, the uke knew what was coming. Have you ever completely surprised an uke or caught them daydreaming? Sometimes, one can get caught up in watching the play develop and forget about principle #1 (self-preservation) and end up getting their wrist cranked pretty good.

Just trying to make light of my somewhat cavalier posts before.

At any rate, we call 'em ratchet falls in our system.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Forward Roll for Christmas? (Or New Years... X - 12/27/07 04:42 PM

Actually, I've done quite a few where you don't have a hand to slap with. You just use your feet, no big deal. But, it's a little unnerving the first few times. Just like falling with your arm on the outside instead of the inside. Sorry, don't know the Japanese name... or the Korean one for that matter, we just call it turn under twist to the outside.