kondo sensei

Posted by: daitoryustudent

kondo sensei - 04/08/07 02:32 AM

just asking a question here, has anyone ever gone on youtube and seen the videos of kondo sensei and master takeda's son? If you watch them one time it all looks impressive but if you watch them again can you tell that they are putting muscle into the techniques and not using their energy right like Takeda Senior intended? Look closely at Kondo you'll see what I mean by how rigid he is with his movements and how there is just no fluidity there. It just looks wrong.
Posted by: howard

Re: kondo sensei - 04/08/07 05:07 PM

Could you post links to the clips you're talking about?
Posted by: Ames

Re: kondo sensei - 04/08/07 05:07 PM

First, on what experiance are you basing this on?

Second, no one knows how Sogaku Takeda moved. He taught in diffirent ways, to diffirent people.
Posted by: Jose

Re: kondo sensei - 04/09/07 03:48 PM

I just find it interesting that you can critique the movements of Tokimune Takeda and Katsuyuki Kondo as looking wrong.

Jose Garrido
Posted by: cxt

Re: kondo sensei - 04/09/07 04:30 PM

daito

Fascinating, please tell us more of what "Takeda senior intended."

Since you seem to know what was on the guys mind and how he wanted things to be--no doubt you trained personally with Takeda senior for many decades to speak with such authority???

Love hearing how guys that trained for many years directly under the master in question are doing it "wrong" according to some dude that has looked at a youtube vid see's it.
Posted by: bamboosero

Re: kondo sensei - 10/07/07 04:50 PM

Your observation is very astute. Kondo AND Sokaku's son did not receive aiki-no-jutsu nor aikijujutsu as part of their upbringing in DR. They got only the straight Daito-ryu jujutsu.

There are few schools of Daito-ryu that retain aiki to any degree. AFAIK, those are Sagawa-ha Daito-ryu (highest level), Kodokai (damn good) and Roppokai (spinoff of Kodokai and somewhat narrowly focused curriculum but serviceable aiki).

There are a few "renegades" as well practicing DR aiki in the U.S. and elsewhere, without affiliation to the above schools, but their lineage can be traced to one of those sources.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/07/07 09:14 PM

And I guess you've studied with the Kodokai, the Sagawa dojo, and the Ropokai.

Also, if Sogaku Takeda Sensei didn't teach his son the Aiki-no-jutsu and the Aikijujutsu portions of the curriculum, why did he leave the art to him?

--Chris

Re: kondo sensei - 10/07/07 10:33 PM

Just Kodokai-educated (no longer affiliated), but have felt aiki from Roppokai and Sagawa dojo too. You can feel Roppokai aiki if you want -- Okomoto Sensei is doing a seminar in Long Island, NY this week. He travels to the U.S. fairly regularly, but is getting on in years so if you want to feel his aiki, now's the time. Contact Howard Popkin if you're interested. He is the contact person in Long Island.

There was a lot of political subterfuge and skullduggery involved in who "got to inherit" Daito-ryu. It was not a clean descent from then to today. My advice is that you get a copy of Stanley Pranin's excellent summary book of Daito-ryu history, "Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu (Interviews With Daito-ryu Masters").

And, just because a person is the son or grandson of a great master doesn't mean said master will pass his full art onto that offspring. There are many reasons why skills may be withheld, such as the innate lack of talent of a son or daughter, lack of character, or political influences. A lot of guys kept their arts to themselves and didn't give a hoot whether it was continued for posterity or not.

Takeda, as was noted earlier, typically custom-tailored what he gave to his students based on their body types and abilities. To big, strong fellas he gave jujutsu. The smaller, less robust guys got aiki because it provides an advantage that is not based on muscular strength or body size.

Anyhoo, I recommend trying to feel Roppokai aiki since Roppokai is the most open of the aiki schools. It's the one way to be able to discern what aiki is, at least on a basic level, and thus be able to tell who actually has it and who doesn't when you feel other people's waza.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/07/07 10:58 PM

bamboo

So if its all a question of body type/size maybe you could help me out with a few things?

-What counts as "big" with the japanese? Ueshiba was not very tall but he was a thickly muscled guy.
Takeda himself was a "little" guy but by all accounts extremly strong.

-So if the big guys got "jujutsu" and the little guys got "aiki" and there seems to be little effective difference in the 2 concepts--ie they both seem to work equally well--then why does it matter whom is using what??

Nothing like kick-starting a thread that has laid dorment for 6-7 months to express your personal POV is there.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/07/07 11:16 PM

Heh. My take on Ueshiba is that he hounded Takeda to get all of the goodies. Body size notwithstanding.

Dunno what the dealio was with big guys getting jujutsu, little guys getting aiki. From my training in jujutsu, I can see how small folk could be at a big disadvantage trying to apply joint locks, chokes etc. on larger opponents - they'd have to find a way to bring down the big guy to their height level to apply those techniques, which means having to add on stuff to their attack and thus reducing the efficiency. Not just that, but it's damned hard to get the leverage on a large person's joints to get an effective lock in. Been there, done that. Had it done on me. You get to see the weaknesses as you attempt to do techniques and as training partners of different sizes try to do them on you.

Big guys tend to use muscle a lot, which is anathema to creating effective aiki.

So, Takeda may just have been figuring "Well, the big guy doesn't really need aiki, and it's harder to get him to relax enough to do it anyway."

Just a guess.

Meanwhile, Takeda famously said that Daito-ryu could be taught to women and children. I doubt that he was referring to the jujutsu aspect. He was saying that aiki is the tool for the small and (relatively) weak.

Too, aiki isn't a miracle pill or a magic spell. It's just one component of what were larger martial systems back in the day. A number of koryu systems taught aiki as just one aspect of what might have included sword and other weapons, jujutsu, and other physical skills. Aiki was meant to be a "performance enhancer" that one could apply to already-effective systems of armed and unarmed combat. Alone, those systems were perfectly fine. With aiki added, they become even more powerful.

My two yen.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/08/07 08:47 AM

bamboo

Then if aiki is a "performence enhancer" then why would not it be useful for pretty much anyone to learn?

Professional warriors looking for an edge against other professional warriors would naturelly be VERY interested in ANY training that would give the edge they needed to survive.

Makes little sense that only small men and women would be the sole recepients of aiki----if it makes that much difference.....and depending on how you define "aiki."

Re: kondo sensei - 10/08/07 10:44 AM

I'd say that during the time that clans had their systems and were living in periods of warfare, warriors got all of it as needed to do their job.

But now we're talking about Takeda Sokaku, who although of warrior-clan ancestry was living in post-warrior, even post-Edo times. Remember that in the Meiji era, samurai and all ancestral warrior tribes or clans were stripped of their privileged status as a weapon-bearing martial caste. Takeda was under no obligation to follow a clan formula for training warriors and feudal retainers. He could decide for himself who got what, and that's evidently what happened.

I'm just trying to sketch a plausible train of thought he might have had in his very subjective decisions of who got jujutsu and who got aiki.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/08/07 11:14 AM

bamboo

And all I'm trying to do is point out that if that is your train of thought then there is no reason what-so-ever for it to matter whom has "aiki" and whom does not at this point in time.

If Takeda didn't think somebody needed "aiki" based upon their physical size, then somebody not having "aiki" was no big deal him......and should not be to us either as the "average" Westerner is much bigger than the "average" Japanese of Takeda's time so there is no reason for many Westerners to need to know "aiki."

Re: kondo sensei - 10/08/07 01:56 PM

Some interesting points there bamboosero.

However, Sogaku Sensei, did in fact leave the system to his son, Tokumune. Upon Tokumune's return from the war, Sagawa stepped aside, and Tokumune took control of the system.

I've said it before on this board, and I'll say it again, the first Hiden Mokuruku is meant to be Jujutsu techniques. It's in those techniques that one builds the foundation for Aiki.

As for Sogaku Sensei, teaching diffirent things to diffirent people, I've read the same. However, who's to say that he didn't pass down the 'real' techniques to his son. No one knows. In fact, no one knows how Sogaku moved.

Also, I'd be interested to hear how you trained with Sagawa's people, because as far as I know, only one Westerner ever has, and it was no easy task. Unless of course you're native Japanese.

The fact is, is that very few people in Japan, and even fewer outside of it, can accurately comment on who has the "real" Aiki. Invaribly, the criteria one uses to judge the Aiki of one school is colored by the opinions of ones own school.

--Chris

Re: kondo sensei - 10/08/07 07:46 PM

The troubles started with the grandkids, Chris.

"training with Sagawa's people" sometimes happens through the back door. And what makes you think that it's non-Japanese and Westerners who have passed along some of his refined aiki?

I'm assuming you're talking about Paul Wollos as the lone Westerner. Under Kimura, the Sagawa dojo is a little more "open" than it once was, meaning that Japanese students no longer have to come from the immediate locale. And, a Westerner has entered the halls. Go figure!

As for the "real" aiki ---- I feel I can comment objectively on it because I've felt it from several sources. And let me make this clear: it's ALL aiki, and it's ALL good. Roppokai, Kodokai, Sagawa-ha. But Sagawa seems to have taken it to a higher degree of refinement with smaller movements and much sharper, shockier effect. That doesn't mean that the others are "inferior grade" aiki; they are perfectly effective. Just different.

Add to that the aiki of Chinese internal arts on a high level, and we find that aiki isn't limited to Daito-ryu or its descendents. However, it is not in all Daito-ryu lines, including the so-called mainline.

BTW, the Hiden Mokurokku was not Sokaku's idea. He didn't write down or codify a damned thing! That came from the next generation. He just taught what was in his body and mind.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/08/07 07:57 PM

I suppose that in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter who has aiki or not, that's true. But the OP mentioned that he felt that Kondo was all muscle, and that's what I was responding to. I pointed out that Kondo IS all muscle because he has no aiki. He muscles his jujutsu, and doesn't have the aiki needed to do the relaxed but powerful aikijujutsu, or the amazing displays of aiki-no-jutsu which would not work at all if "muscled".

But I do agree with you that aiki is useful to anyone, certainly. Big guys would be even more effective with it. I don't know what went on in Takeda's head, of course, but we can see that he gave the "complete package" to only a relatively small handful of students. Perhaps because they were the only ones to really work it and learn it (I've seen would-be students practically hand-fed aiki training by a willing teacher, only to have them blow off doing the work and subsequently not developing the skills... and even quitting. That represents the majority of students in any discipline, I'd say.). Or maybe he was just a cranky guy who didn't want to cast pearls before swine. Who knows?

But I can say that aiki rocks, adds a degree of power I'd never imagined possible, and is intellectually and physically challenging and intriguing. You could spend a lifetime investigating the potential of the human body to generate optimal power with minimal effort, and aiki is a bridge to that study.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/08/07 09:31 PM

I never meant that 'real' Aiki is found only in the West.

Having seen videos of Kondo as well as the Hokaido guys, I agree that there isn't much softness apparent in their technique. What I disagree with is that this, by extension, means that Tokumune Soke had no aiki. The head of the branch of DR I study, Okabayashi Shogen Sensei, manifest Aiki, without muscling it. So do his top students, whom have performed techniques on me. Seeing as how Okabayashi Sensei was trained by Tokumune, I have to infer that Tokumune did in fact have aiki. I also think, that though there is Aiki present in the first waza, that they are still meant to exist on the Jujutsu level.

As you said, theres the head of a system doesn't HAVE to leave the system to his child. However, Sogaku did pick a succesor, and the greater DR world seemed to agree that this succesor was Tokumune Takeda. That doesn't mean he was the best, but it does mean that he had a good understanding.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/08/07 11:00 PM

Several of my dojomates have felt Kondo, watched him demonstrate his highest level skills, and more, and reported that he just doesn't have "it."

As for Tokumune, I wouldn't insist that he didn't have aiki, of course. But of the existing DR systems, only the previously mentioned three have any reputation as being "aiki rich."

Re: kondo sensei - 10/09/07 09:57 AM

BTW, there's more to aiki than "softness" and lack of muscle. Softness is just a quality that describes the lack of hard movement on the actor's part. To the recipient, the actions feel like a steel wall.

From what I've seen of Kondo myself, and heard recounted, it's not just that Kondo "muscles" his jujutsu and is not "soft" ----- he has no idea how to create aiki, which requires a specific kind of use of one's own skeleton and its connection to both the recipient and to the ground. It is learned through a specialized set of training methods, and if one doesn't get those, one doesn't get aiki, period.

There is so little understanding about what aiki is (in RE: Daito-ryu aiki), that words such as "soft" and "not muscling" mean precisely... nothing that actually relates to aiki in most martial systems claiming to have "it."

Re: kondo sensei - 10/09/07 12:42 PM

bambooo

Yeah, but the problem with the "grand scheme of things" is that YOU have already established that Takeda HIMSELF had a very different view of the relative importance of "aiki."

If your to be belived, Takeda decided whom to teach aiki to was based on how big you were.

So "aiki rocks" in YOUR opinion---again, if your posit is to be held as true and accurate--then YOUR opinion conflicts with TAKEDA"S opinion....ie that if your were a big enough person---by Japanese standards in pre-WW 1 then it wasn't needed.

Now between you two guys---which one do you think people should be treating with more authority????

Besides, what do think consits of the "whole package?"

The weapon arts?

Is the art he passed down incomplete without the in-depth weapons skills?

Sure students need to do the work---but IMO, we could all do with less finger-pointing about the supposed/claimed lack in OTHERS people/groups practice and more focus on ones own training.

Just a suggestion.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/09/07 02:39 PM

What does it matter, cxt? Takeda taught hundreds of seminars and had no brick and mortar dojo. He traveled around Japan and gave private sessions with royal family members and aristocrats, high-ranking military officers, police forces, and other society members in good standing.

He was known to "trash" top level judoka, jujutsu guys and fighters of every stripe, some of whom became his students

And yet, of all those hundreds, maybe thousands, of students, only a handful got The Stuff. Who knows why? I'm not claiming insider knowledge, only reflections on what I have been told by "inside" people and gotten from more public sources such as Stanley Pranin's research and writings, and other shared materials.

If you're looking for a contentious debate because egos have been ruffled over who "has it," I can only state that I have a pretty good idea who does and doesn't based on hands-on experience and exposure, including my own.

The best way to determine what's what for yourself is to seek out and train with, feel, those purported to have aiki on higher levels. Paul Wollos did. I did. Others did. One won't learn these things in a vacuum, from the perspective of just the system they're training with. There has to be comparison and contrast. If it's that important to you to know, you'll seek it out.
Posted by: howard

Re: kondo sensei - 10/09/07 06:53 PM

Paul Wollos...

Would that be the same Paul Wollos whose name appears on this website?

http://www.wbfbudofederation.com/worldbudo.php?sector=stylelist&task=detail&style_id=84

So, he's associated with John Williams (in Canada) of the Saigo-ha group?

Re: kondo sensei - 10/09/07 07:21 PM

Quote:

Paul Wollos...

Would that be the same Paul Wollos whose name appears on this website?

http://www.wbfbudofederation.com/worldbudo.php?sector=stylelist&task=detail&style_id=84

So, he's associated with John Williams (in Canada) of the Saigo-ha group?

Howard,
What I see is that Mr. Wollos' name and dojo are part of a listing of known DR schools (and wannabe DR schools and teachers) around the world, not schools that are necessarily associated with John Williams. I have a suspicion that Mr. Wollos doesn't even know his school is mentioned there. I notice that Senseis Miguel Iberra (Yamabushi-kai) and Roy Goldberg (Kodokai) are on Williams' list too, but how likely do you think it is that either is affiliated with Saigo-ha?

Mr. Wollos lives in Tai-chung, Taiwan where he teaches internal Chinese arts and Daito-ryu, among other things.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=242

Re: kondo sensei - 10/09/07 10:39 PM

bamboo

So essentially your basing YOUR finger-pointing on the works of other people....with almost no first hand experience of your own?

Like I said, less chat and more mat would probably be a better use of time.

I say that because:

A-I have yet to see/hear/read anything from you....other than cryptic statements about you "knowing" stuff.

B-How do any of us know that you have any idea about what your talking about?

C-How are we to determine if you would know "it" if you felt "it."

D-Most importantly--by your OWN story, Takeda himself didn't feel the need to reach "aiki" to anyone big enough--by the standards of Pre-WW1 Japan BTW.

So either your wrong in your posit, or you have put YOURSELF in a postion to pass judgement on Tekada's choices and opinions.

Either way, something is not adding up.

You seem overly invested in showing how "some" people might not have been taught the "stuff."

Which of COURSE, you no doubt personally have been taught "the stuff".

Me?

I could care less about what is essentially a "big johnson contest" between you and other people.

I simply get fed up listening to unsupported claims made by people on-line about the realtive....and largely UNTESTABLE claims BTW, made by people on-line.
It gets tiresome to have to keep reading baseless attacks made at people and entire organizations.

If your getting "contintuous" here....its because YOU brought it here with your unsupported claims and self-negating, weird reasoning.

My suggestion that you stop parroting the works of others and do more training yourself seems to be falling on deaf ears.

Too bad really.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/09/07 11:32 PM

Quote:

BTW, there's more to aiki than "softness" and lack of muscle.

[...]
[Aiki] ... requires a specific kind of use of one's own skeleton and its connection to both the recipient and to the ground. It is learned through a specialized set of training methods, and if one doesn't get those, one doesn't get aiki, period.

This is exactly the definition of softness, as it's applied to internal martial arts. It's a well known meaning, and I'm sure Kondo understands it as well you (who has been in DR for how long now?) Whether he uses it or not publicly? I can't say and neither can you. To my beginner eyes, I can't really tell. There's certain things about the way he moves that are very diffirent from the way we're taught. But then again, I don't really understand the way we move yet, because I'm a beginner. If I fully understood the way I'm supposed to move, if I fully understood the PHYSICAL meaning of 'softness' I would be a master of Daito Ryu. I'm not. Neither are you.

--Chris

Re: kondo sensei - 10/10/07 05:37 PM

Nope, sorry Chris. Kondo just doesn't have or know it. Really. Aiki guys from other lineages have tuned him at seminars, completely innocently thinking that Kondo had aiki. But he doesn't. Sorry.

And I'm not a master, but I'm not a newbie either. And I have pretty damned good aiki. It came from hard work, but also from excellent instruction and transmission from someone who has it. That's the only way you get it. Kondo wasn't privey to it, for whatever reason.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/10/07 05:44 PM

I'm not pointing fingers, just stating fact based on very reliable sources who have been there, done that with Kondo. I do appreciate that you don't know me from Adam, and have no idea of my skills, so of course I would expect skepticism. This is an Internet forum where anonymity is the norm. It frees people up to say things they might not otherwise be able to say, for good or ill. When you train in systems that can be secretive, it is an advantage! For that, I say "Hey, believe me or don't." I don't have axes to grind or any vested interest in who has aiki or not. Just stating what I know to be fact, because the original poster of this thread made an observation about Kondo, and I acknowledged it.

Quote:

bamboo

So essentially your basing YOUR finger-pointing on the works of other people....with almost no first hand experience of your own?

Like I said, less chat and more mat would probably be a better use of time.

I say that because:

A-I have yet to see/hear/read anything from you....other than cryptic statements about you "knowing" stuff.

B-How do any of us know that you have any idea about what your talking about?

C-How are we to determine if you would know "it" if you felt "it."

D-Most importantly--by your OWN story, Takeda himself didn't feel the need to reach "aiki" to anyone big enough--by the standards of Pre-WW1 Japan BTW.

So either your wrong in your posit, or you have put YOURSELF in a postion to pass judgement on Tekada's choices and opinions.

Either way, something is not adding up.

You seem overly invested in showing how "some" people might not have been taught the "stuff."

Which of COURSE, you no doubt personally have been taught "the stuff".

Me?

I could care less about what is essentially a "big johnson contest" between you and other people.

I simply get fed up listening to unsupported claims made by people on-line about the realtive....and largely UNTESTABLE claims BTW, made by people on-line.
It gets tiresome to have to keep reading baseless attacks made at people and entire organizations.

If your getting "contintuous" here....its because YOU brought it here with your unsupported claims and self-negating, weird reasoning.

My suggestion that you stop parroting the works of others and do more training yourself seems to be falling on deaf ears.

Too bad really.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/11/07 11:13 AM

bamboo

"I have some pretty damend good aiki"

Of COURSE you do dear.

I expected nothing less that claim.

And you can prove this exactly how?

AGAIN, since YOU already claimed that whom got "aiki" was a matter of how big and muscular a person Takeda himself thought you were----by Pre-WW1 Japanese standards I might add, whom "got" aiki seems pretty unimportant to me.

If Takeda didn't think a person needed it......then why should it matter in the slightest what some no name, faceless guy on the web thinks?

That is of course if your ahm..... "reasoning" is to be belived.

I suggest less mouth-waza and more training.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/11/07 11:43 AM

I don't have a problem with more training. In turn, I'd advise you to seek out people who do have "it" and will let you feel it. You could still feel Okomoto's Roppokai aiki if you had the inclination. He does U.S. seminars once or twice a year. Howard Popkin, one of Okomoto Sensei's American students, is registered on this forum. Go feel Okomoto, then go feel Kondo. Then report the difference back here.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/11/07 01:45 PM

bamboo

And of COURSE your in a postion to determine the skills of people training longer than you have probably be alive?

Like I keep saying---IF, your line of ahm......"reasoning" is to be belived then Takeda picked whom to give "aiki" too based on how big and muscular they were--to him, by Pre-WW1 Japanses standards.
If you were big and strong your argueing that you didn't need aiki at all.

So following YOUR LOGIC here, it does not matter in the slighest whom has aiki and whom has not.

Your logic dicates that TAKEDA himself didn't deem it needed for effective use of techniques.

So AGAIN, all you have done is establish that whom has "aiki" is essentially irrelevent---as aiki itself is less important than body type.

BTW, why should I do your legwork?

Its interesting to me that these "my sensei is better than your sensei" threads almost always are started by some no-name part-timer with little mat time with anyone.

Its almost NEVER some name teacher or expert.

And its almost never some offical student of anyone......most of them behave better...and most of the teachers would be mortified that one of his/her students was running doing the whole mouth-waza thing.

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Popkin would be deeply embarressed at your linking your sloppy logic and superious claims with his name.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/11/07 02:22 PM

cxt,
You're justified in being skeptical, but not for being so amazingly rude.

I never said anything about what Takeda thought or didn't think. I was just having what I thought was a hypothetical case/ Aiki is what it is. Without it, jujutsu is perfectly effective, though easier to apply if you're larger and stronger than your opponent. With it applied to jujutsu, it neutralizes the need for superior strength. Takeda did not teach formally in a daily dojo setup, he taught in seminar format, which wouldn't permit a stable and consistent curriculum. He could decide what to teach based on the capabilities of those training with him at any given time. That's all I'm saying.

Also, I never said anything about someone being better than someone else. You are transferring your own insecurities into an objective comment I made about some people having a set of skills called aiki skills, and some people not having them. It doesn't make someone "better" than another, only in possession of a different skill set.

You also are deciding to yourself that I somehow implied that body type dictates who can utilize aiki effectively. I said nothing of the sort, and in fact, if you had read my posts, stated that everyone can benefit from it.

Just go feel someone who has genuine aiki training and will show it, and compare it to descendents of Tokemune and to Kondo. That's all it takes. I make no claims of my own, but the truth is the truth regardless of who is stating it or how credible you deem them to be. It won't go away when I stop talking about it, but it will just not be expressed, and you'll be free to go about your previous beliefs, which seem to grow more distorted by every post.You accuse me of sloppiness, but your misinterpretation and distortion of everything I've written is the penultimate in sloppy.

Instead of looking to "shred the opposition," why don't you put your skepticism where your mouth is and go feel aiki so you know what you're analyzing. Your experience is too narrow, judging from your responses here. There is no shame in going to experience other sources of this skill, and I doubt that Mr. Popkin would disagree with my interpretation of aiki, were we to meet and have a friendly session on the mats or even just a chat session over beers.

I'll leave you to discuss amongst yourselves. Got too much of my own training and testing to do. Take care.

Re: kondo sensei - 10/11/07 04:00 PM

bamboo

And I think your being "amazingly rude" to kick start a topic thread that had been dead for months in order to finger point about whom has "aiki" and whom does not.

Esp when you, yourself presented some highly suspect reasoning about Tekeda using body type to determine whom what taught what.
If you can't follow and be consistant with your OWN logic, then please stop wasteing peoples time.

I have no "insecuriaties" what-so-ever.
That is what is known as "projection" where a person accuses SOMEone ELSE of feelings/thoughts/emotions etc that they PERSONALLY have.
You quite clearly are deeply insecure as to your own skills and training because you spend so much time finger-pointing about a supposed lack in others.

What I do have a problem is AGAIN, is nameless, face-less, e-people finger-pointing as to whom has what.
Esp since we have absolutly no way of knowing if you have any idea what your talking about.

The more so since you already admitted that you were mainly just repeating YOUR impression/interpretation of what other people have said and written.

Case in point, you mention AGAIN, Mr. Popkin...and your essentially speaking for him....asserting what he would and would not say.
I gather that he is able to speak for himself and does not need you to make claims about what he would/would not say.

My guess is that he would be deeply embaressed by your finger-pointing and be rather offended that your using his name, without checking with him, to bolster your posts.

Dude,please please pretty please get a grip, above you say:

"I make no claims of my own"

But BEFORE that you also said:

"I have damned good aiki skills"

See, you can't even keep YOUR OWN story/posts stright, yet here you are passing judgement upon others.

And you wonder why people are "skeptical" of your claims...sheesh
Posted by: howardpopkin

Re: kondo sensei - 11/18/07 09:15 AM

Hello,

I just saw the thread and was a little surprised that my name is all over it. If you have questions about Roppokai. Please contact me directly.

Mr. Bamboosero,

Not too many people have been to my dojo. Please e-mail me.

Thanks,

Howard Popkin
NY Roppokai
popkinbrogna@yahoo.com
www.popkinbrognaselfdefense.com

Re: kondo sensei - 11/18/07 03:55 PM

Mr. Popkin

I'm sure that you have read thu the thread and know that your name was dragged into it and named dropped by somebody else.

Any questions I had were related to that person, their statements and their postions.

I have no doubt that you would answer any questions directly and with aclarity.

For what its worth, allow me to express my sympathy for someone "namedropping" you in the course of fractious discussion.
I hope you understand that nobody here confused you with anything that was said by the other person