POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA

Posted by: Prizewriter

POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 04/07/07 10:25 AM

Please tick which style you study or have studied. I have included Tomiki Ryu with Shodokan, as they are virtually the same and were created by the same person. For the sake of the poll, Aikikai/Traditional Aikido constitutes Aikido as Ueshiba taught it. I am aware not everyone within the Aikikai teach as Usehiba taught, but they are closer to it than others!

If you pick Other, then please specify.
Posted by: Ames

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 04/08/07 05:18 PM

I started with Yoshinkan when I was 14 years old. Now I practice Hakuho Ryu Aikibudo.

I also ticked Iwama, Ki society, and Yoseikan, because I've gone to seminars in those styles. But I never studied any of those in any kind of deep way.

--Chris
Posted by: iaibear

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 04/09/07 11:08 AM

The style Aikido practiced at our dojo is Hombu which is traditional, according to Google.
Frankly, I don't care.
Posted by: Loco

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 04/12/07 07:18 PM

I do Yuishinkai, sort of an off shoot of Ki society, founded by Koretoshi Maruyama.
Posted by: SBudda

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 05/22/07 06:17 PM

I train in Suenaka-ha Tetsugaku-ho Aikido founded by Roy Seunaka who trained with both O Sensei and Koichi Tohei and is recognized by both Aikikai and the Ki Society.
Posted by: A.J. Bryant

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 05/23/07 09:12 AM

I started in an Aikido Schools of Ueshiba dojo under George Bevins sensei for about four years, starting in 1991. Heavy emphasis on weapons, including iai. I now study and teach Dentokan Jujutsu, an offshoot of Hakko-ryu, which is the "other" child of Daito-ryu. No kumitachi, but we practice a variant of Toyama-ryu as our "aiki-ken".
Posted by: SunRod

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 06/11/07 08:25 AM

I have only ever train Iwama but love that Saito Sensei taught my teachers the aikido that he was taught by O'Sensei for the 23 years that he studied under him in Iwama.

I also, love the weapons syllabus. It's nice to have a way to train without having to find a willing partner...the bokken & jo are always willing!
Posted by: 1964tkd

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 07/13/07 03:20 PM

Yoshokai which is Kushida Sensei's style.
Posted by: Joseph_Webster

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 08/05/07 04:29 AM

I will be learning Tomiki style off the jiyushinkai dojos. At the Jita Kyoei Dojo in dallas,TX.
Posted by: nainokami

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 08/09/07 04:14 PM

Study KiShinKai.

We use the Suenaka style of Aikido.
Posted by: pilgrim

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 08/22/07 10:52 AM

My wife and I practice Tomiki Aikido in the Jiyushinkai organization. http://www.jiyushinkai.org/
Posted by: uchi_deshi

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 08/31/07 02:13 PM

i only found one person that knows how to spell yoshinkai aikido right...

and yoshinkai is not kushida's style it is what he teach's... for one japan only recognize yoshinkai aikido...

for the most part there are only 4 style of aikido in the world... aiki kai, yoshinkai, tomiki, and ki... the others are just from people that got throwen out the group cuz there is 1 here in the state that yoshinkai striped him of everything...
Posted by: hayduke13

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 09/11/07 04:16 PM

i study suenaka-ha tetsugaku-ho wadokai aikido as taught by roy y. suenaka sensei, who studied with both o'sensei and tohei sensei.
Posted by: Noble_Silence

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 09/12/07 03:09 PM

KiHara Aikido of The Fugakukai International Association of Karl Geis from tomiki Aikido
Posted by: tomh777

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 09/24/07 10:55 PM

Nafsirrruh Aiki Bujutsu. Created by Khalid Abdul Shakoor of Detroit. Shakoor's main instructors were Professor Florendo Visitacion/Vee Arnis Jitsu...apparently it was still called Vee Jitsu Te when Shakoor studied under him, and Seku Bomani (a student of Moses Powell/Sanuces Ryu). This is very much a hybrid style, that borrows from various forms of ju jutsu, aikido/aiki jutsu as well as other martial arts. Appearance wise it looks similar to aiki jutsu with simplified footwork and more strikes...but even that description doesn't quite do it justice.
Posted by: BodhiHuss

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 09/26/07 08:12 AM

Suenaka-ha Tetsugaku-ho Aikido
Posted by: Panzerhaust

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 12/27/07 03:13 PM

Yoshinkan aikido
I study under Stephen Ohlman sensei

-who studied under Ando Tsuneo Shihan (Yoshinkan's technical director)

--who studied under Gozo Shioda sensei.
Posted by: TexasAikido

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 07/23/08 03:34 PM

I began my study in 1971 in Naha, Okinawa under Suenaka Sensei prior to his formation of Suenaka-ha Tetsugaku-ho Aikido in Charleston, SC. The past 7 years I have studied under Marr Sensei whos style comes from Rinjiro Shirata Sensei.
Posted by: Aronious

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 11/26/08 10:25 PM

I study Kinokawa Aikido founded by Hanshi Michael Wirth.
Posted by: AdamAlexander

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 01/28/09 06:08 PM

I trained in Yoshokai. I haven't been to a proper dojo in some time, but still practice their techniques.
Posted by: Canyon

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 03/02/09 01:20 PM

I've studied Iwama aikido at 3 different schools over the last 7 years. However, I also love to train with students of other styles; I always learn something interesting.
Posted by: Tony2776

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 02/20/10 05:04 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but I just started Kokikai Aikido. Is that an offshoot of Aiki or is it a separate style?
Posted by: paul40

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 02/20/10 06:40 PM

the developer of the style shuji maruyama was aiki trained at the hombu in japan under tohei.he came to america in the 60,s sometime to teach aiki, but, he didnt develope his style until he was in the u.s

I am not famliliar with the style but i will ask the right people and get some answers for you.

He is japanese , he is well trained in aiki, so i would say its aiki. thats the style, cant speak for the school.

whats the name of the school?

btw
tohei himself was a student os ueshibas but was also a rebel who was always trying to impose his ideas on ueshibas art,so his version of aikido is watered down from the original teaching of ueshiba.he was actually told by ueshiba he wasnt aloud to teach his ways of doing things while he was there. so after ueshiba died he left and created his own style.

not saying its bad but it isnt authentic aikido.i am usehiba trained 100 percent so im not familiar with toheis version . i do know it is considered the sport version,
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 02/21/10 10:29 AM

Paul is right in that Kokikai is an orginization seperated from Tohei's Ki Aikido. They seem to follow the same ideas though.

Paul, I'd be curious as to hear more as to how you believe Tohei "watered down" his Aikido? Certainly he seems to have been one of Ueshiba's top students and teachers. By all accounts he was promoted to 10th dan by Ueshiba himself.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/blog/2010/02/02/koichi-toheis-10th-dan-promotion-by-stanley-pranin/

I am starting another thread about all of this Paul, so PM or post there as this isn't really a thread for this sort of thing!
Posted by: scbhattarai

Re: POLL: AIKIDO STYLES REPRESENTED ON FA - 01/18/11 03:13 AM

Aikido as a great martial art, demands a great patience while it practiced. but, Aikido it not only sport training and technique learning by train. Also, Aikido can be a great way to live the life of great peace inside your spirit and body together... it includes meditations and philosophical with religious views and beliefs and it can be something that you can read about to get more understanding.

Aikido Video Aikido Video will help you to get to know the aikido better and will let you open your mind for new aikido styles, techniques, believes and also as a general Aikido performance improve - Reading Aikido Articles will help you to know more and by this improve you aikido theoretical knowledge and skills.