Minoru Mochizuki

Posted by: Prizewriter

Minoru Mochizuki - 03/13/07 06:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf39s46Qxcg

And here is a clip (well, the first half) of Minoru Mochizuki. Again, you can see the Judo influence here, especially with the Supine/Aikido cross over at the end.

Posted here along with recent Kenji Tomiki and Shioda Gozo threads, re masters of Aikido who created their own styles.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Minoru Mochizuki - 03/16/07 01:52 AM

I can see a lot of judo there.

At 02:25, that's a very common technique in the Goshin Jutsu.

@ 02:37, very similar to an O-soto otoshi.

@ 02:54, that's a combination of morote-gari and osoto-gari. The difference being in the hands holding the upper body, and the leg reaping like an osoto-gari.

From 03:00 forwards, I see LOADS of sutemi waza.

First one being a modified daki-wakare. Usually done when the uke is on the floor, this one is being done while the uke is standing. Very nice. Notice the details though. In a normal Daki-wakare, the tori will hold the body, this one the tori hold the uke like in a Yoko Otoshi. Very nice indeed.

After that, I see another modified yoko wakare mixed with the theory of kosoto gake.

The third one is yet again another modified Judo technique. Very similar to Kani Basami, but instead of falling down on the spot, he forces the uke to roll with him. This is classified as a sutemi waza.

Hmm. . . I see where Minoru Mochizuki sensei was skilled in Judo. A lot of his techniques are based on Judo, or at least the ones shown. Show the techniques to a judo-ka, and he'll have no problems doing it. But I do see a difference between this and mainstream judo.

Kuzushi. Minoru Mochizuki doesn't rely on kuzushi, he relies on aiki. See how all the throws are lead from using aiki principles, not by kuzushi.

Very interesting indeed.

-Taison out
Posted by: xuzen_628

Re: Minoru Mochizuki - 03/16/07 02:38 AM

Hoi Prizewriter,

Whats with you and all these long dead old man? You having a hard-on on geriatrics? Just kidding... Ha ha ha.

Kenji, Gozo and Mi-ru are some of my good pals that I look up to. See I am on first name basis with them.

X wf.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Minoru Mochizuki - 10/29/07 05:43 PM

-----------------------------------------------------
Kuzushi. Minoru Mochizuki doesn't rely on kuzushi, he relies on aiki. See how all the throws are lead from using aiki principles, not by kuzushi.
-----------------------------------------------------
really....???? i'll probaby get flamed for this, but there isn't an aikidoka out there who will throw me without first getting kazushi...and if there is...well then...he/she must have got kazushi! (the first principle in moving someone)
Posted by: mateo

Re: Minoru Mochizuki - 11/08/07 10:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oCu3RQN1zA

Here's another clip.

Of course Mochizuki was sent by the founder of judo to study under Ueshiba and was once asked to be Ueshiba Morihei's successor should Kisshomaru not return from the war.

I trained at the Yoseikan Hombu in Shizuoka for a short time near the time this video was taken.

The Yoseikan was famous for its sutemi waza which was inspired both by the sutemi waza of people like Mifune Kyuzo (to whom Mochizuki was for a time a live-in student) and a classical form of jujutsu which he had studied incompletely in his youth.

All of the footage here was taken not only when Master Mochizuki was at an advanced age but also after he had suffered a stroke which left him with difficulty with moving one side of his body.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Minoru Mochizuki - 11/09/07 10:07 AM

Mateo, what a privilege to train at the Yoseikan Hombu! No doubt you got to experience Washazu Sensei and Kenmotsu Sensei while training. Are you affiliated with the IYBF under Patrick Auge? We've trained with Roger Roy in Sherebrooke, QC and Michel Martin in Montreal under Aikido Mochizuki, and most recently with Alan McGrath's group in Ontario who splintered off of Patrick Auge.

We are a small group in Pittsburgh, still dedicated to keeping the art alive and do not subscribe to Hiroo Mochizuki's direction. The competition and ridiculous foam bats is, in our collective opinion, and insult and utterly contrary to what Minoru Mochizuki Sensei was teaching.

In reading the posts above, it's funny how opinions are made, regarding kusushi, judo, et al. All one really has to do is either read Stanley Pranin's articles or wikipedia on Yoseikan Budo, and they'll have better understanding of what Master Mochizuki was saying in that clip. Also, as you've pointed out, a lot of aikidoka have no idea how close Mochizuki came to taking over for Ueshiba. In the end, I'm glad he didn't.

As you know Yoseikan/Sefukai (politics on name usage forced Shizouka Hombu to change their name as a result of Hiroo taking over) style is very different, much more combat oriented, an obvious harder style.

We've had a lot of aikikai students visit and none of them have stayed and left their aikikai style. I presume a great many aikidoka don't like being off-balance when it's time to switch to judo or groundwork when you're first, second or even third aikido technique doesn't work. Judo is hard on the body and most aikikai practioners just really don't like getting slammed to the mat. Ratchet falls are one thing, but the feedback the ground gives from sutemi waza takes a long time to get used to.

With the incorporation of the Katori Shinto Ryu sword arts in Yoseikan Aikido, we've had a chance to train with Doug Tong in Toronto and his satellite group in St. Catherine's . http://tokumeikan.com/home.htm and on occasion with Yukihiro Sugino Sensei as well as Sozen Sensei, the last disciples of Master Yoshio Sugino.

Still...you're experience at the Shizouka Hombu is something I'd like to experience....one day

Glad to see someone on these boards also appreciates the teachings of Minoru Mochizuki.