aki-jujitsu or judo for a disabled person

Posted by: warman

aki-jujitsu or judo for a disabled person - 02/14/07 02:15 AM

you see the problem is I have limited mobility on the right side of my body and can't decide wich would be better suted for me
again the limited mobility prevents me from being as felxable or mobile as a normal person
any input on wich would better for me would be apreciated thanks
Posted by: Supremor

Re: aki-jujitsu or judo for a disabled person - 02/14/07 05:27 AM

Go and talk to both instructors and see what they think and how much of a problem they think it will be. Both arts are quite capable of being practiced by someone with less mobility, although a few techniques might be harder to perform. See if you feel comfortable in the class and make your decision based on that.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: aki-jujitsu or judo for a disabled person - 02/14/07 10:38 AM

Judo is more readibly available to most people. There are only around 50 legit Aikijujutsu teachers outside of Japan. So you will find it easier to track down a Judo school.

As Supermor said, because of the techniques involved and principles in both arts (that of "Ju" of using a persons effort against them) you should be able to cope very well with Judo or AikiJujutsu with good instruction.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: aki-jujitsu or judo for a disabled person - 02/19/07 11:57 AM

Hello Warman:

As the moderator & others have suggested, definately speak with the instructors of each specific class/school, see which if either seem the best "fit" for you!

Something else you might consider, post to other message boards (sorry Mr Caille ) whose members have the same condition/mobility issues which you possess... (provided there is such a group/groups, and 99.5% likely there is.... )

There at minimum you will attract somebody's response, "...hey I am a X year practitioner of... with RHS mobility issues..." my guess, my guess would be Judo in so far as Internationally (as an organization) they have been around a long time, consequently might well have someone in the main headquarters who could refer you elsewhere with deeper experience more locally.

Jeff
Posted by: warman

Re: aki-jujitsu or judo for a disabled person - 02/19/07 12:34 PM

thanks for the posts they gave me some needed advise and ideas
Posted by: Supremor

Re: aki-jujitsu or judo for a disabled person - 02/19/07 01:21 PM

good luck
Posted by: Ames

Re: aki-jujitsu or judo for a disabled person - 03/03/07 05:36 PM

Another thing--Tokimune Takeda, the last Soke of Daito Ryu, had a serious stroke in his sixties. He was partially paralyzed, but was still able to perform Aikijujutsu.

Aikijujutsu or Aikido should work, as long as you have a teacher patient enough to work with you. In the case of Aikijujutsu, the techniques are meant to work even if you're injured, so I don't see why they wouldn't work in your case. Just be realistic in your goals.

Good luck.