Weight Placement

Posted by: Aikinewb

Weight Placement - 01/17/07 07:48 PM

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum so excuse me if this has been addressed before; i tried doing a search but didn't see anything obviously covering it.

My question is where on your foot your weight should be placed when practicing aikido, and does this change depending on what you are doing. My understanding has long been that your weight should come down on the heel of your foot. This makes sense to me since it is a stable position and doesn't rely on any force generated by the smaller muscles that control the ankle joint (weakest link in the chain).

Recently however I started taking Judo classes as well, with the intention of doing a few competitions to test my technique under pressure. I was surprised that my Judo teacher says your weight should be held forward on the balls of your feet.

I'm wondering if one of my teachers is incorrect, or if this really is different between the two arts. And if it is really a difference between the two, how have others of you aikidoka who have cross trained in judo or jujutsu reconciled this.

Thanks, I much appreciate any input any of you have to offer.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Weight Placement - 01/17/07 07:55 PM

Weight should be on your big toe.