Looking to make the switch

Posted by: Zlarin

Looking to make the switch - 01/13/07 06:13 PM

I am moving next fall, and I found that there will be an Aikido dojo only a block away, so I'm tentatively going to try and join. It's not an absolutely sure thing at the moment, but it's probably going to be very likely. Aikido has fascinated me for quite a while, so I'm excited to give it a try. The only problem I see with it is that my martial arts experience has mainly been in Shaolin Long Fist kung fu, and I heard that switching to Aikido from other arts can be quite difficult. (Not that making the switch to any other art isn't difficult, but I hear Aikido is especially hard to do that with) I know Aikido has many joint locks and such, and while I have trained joint locking, how different is joint locking in Aikido than Qin-na locking, if at all? Has anybody else here switched to Aikido from a different martial art?

Best Regards,
Zlarin
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Looking to make the switch - 01/13/07 08:36 PM

Went to Aikido more or less straight from TKD. As their are a lot of differences between the two, I didn't have too many problems.

A guy who recently joined our Aikido class had studied Goju Ryu for 10 years, and Tai Chi Chuan for 4 years. He took to aikido like a duck to water.

Just go in as an empty cup. Any previous experience you had will in all likelihood help, rather than hinder, your aikido.
Posted by: ErikCalderon

Re: Looking to make the switch - 01/16/07 09:23 AM

Have you ever read the zen story about the zen master serving tea to the wan-a-be studnet.

Bruce Lee used it in one of his movies....Your tea cup is like your mind, how can you add anything into it if it is already full....

Anyhow, I did switch also to Aikido, 16 years ago, and am super happy about it.

I don't think it's much about technique, but more about teaching style. Like you said, a joint lock is a joint lock, a punch is a punch, how different can they be.

Well, the teacher, with his own individual perspective can teach it in a completely different way, which can really help you understand more of what you've already learned and at the same time, really frustrate you (if your cup is full.)

One great proverb that I always think about, "When in Rome, do as the Romans."

Good luck.
Posted by: kangaroo

Re: Looking to make the switch - 01/17/07 04:02 PM

Well over half the people I have trained with in Aikido have come from other arts

Karate
isshinryu
Shokan
wing chun
Kungfu

I mean the list goes on and on that I have worked with that trained in other arts