aikido in physical conflict

Posted by: aikidonut

aikido in physical conflict - 01/04/07 10:20 PM

has anyone had to use an aikido technique in an actual physical situation, ie bar fight etc..and how, and was it satisfactory to you?

if so was it combined with techniques from another martial art? Which was more effective, and why? did your attacker have experience in a MA too, and were they armed, and if so how? has anyone ever used weapons technique ( offensive or defensive)?

know this topic seems a re iteration of aikido in the real world"... but that turned into a huge flameout insult slinging brawl, so here goes again...
Posted by: BodhiHuss

Re: aikido in physical conflict - 01/05/07 12:25 PM

I was a bartender for nine years and used Aikido on several occasions. The most recent was an irate drunk who tried to attack me behind the bar. As he approached, I put my hand up to stop him and he grabbed my arm. He obviously had some type of wrestling or grappling experience because he tried to take me right to the ground. I grabbed his arm with one hand and his neck with the other, then turned my body and pulled him forward and down (sumi-otoshi). He dropped like a sack of potatoes and took half of my glassware with him. He ended up in jail and I was considered "the victim". I have also used Aikido techniques to control, remove, and even choke-out unruly bar patrons. To me, the question of whether Aikido is effective or not is moot--it works if done properly. However, many Aikido schools (like many martial arts schools in general) teach a watered down version of the art. O'Sensei's Aikido was and is very powerful and very effective--we should use his example when studying Aikido.
The other benefit of using Aikido in the real world is that the techniques are designed to do the least amount of damage necessary to control the attacker. That doesn't mean that Aikido techniques are not damaging--it is actually quite the opposite. However, the defender is able to control the amount of pain or damage inflicted on his attacker. I have studied Karatedo for almost 20 years but I have never fully used it in the street because of the damage it can do. I do not wished to be sued by some ignorant drunk who ended up getting his nose busted. It just makes more legal sense to use Aikido in many situations.
That being said, if the Aikido you have seen or studied does not work, go to a different school. Do not practice Aikido in a school that does not use atemi-waza and off-balancing techniques. Also, be careful of schools in which the attacker is overly passive or throws himself/herself before the technique is even applied. It is very simple to find out if your Aikido works--relax. If you can perform the techniques relaxed while your partner is genuinely attacking, then you are doing the technique correctly. Have you seen any videos of O'Sensei? If not, you should.
James Huss
Nidan, Suenaka-ha Tetsugaku-ho Aikido
Posted by: aikidonut

Re: aikido in physical conflict - 01/06/07 12:04 AM

how did you feel during and after the conflict? did u feel always in control, was there a rage within you, did you feel disgust afterwards, or triumph. did it make you want to practice more?

Re: aikido in physical conflict - 01/09/07 10:13 AM

During the conflict, everything was in slow motion. This was the second time (after about 15 years of training) that this happened during an altercation. I was actually able to think clearly and process information in my mind throughout the incident. I remember being in total control, looking at possible striking targets, but also telling myself to wait. I never had to hit the guy because I was able to completely control him with Aikido techniques. After I threw the guy twice and began to walk him out of the restaraunt, the entire kitchen crew came running out and seperated us. My friend grabbed me thinking he needed to calm me down, but I was already calm. My heart rate never increased and my friend told me I was so relaxed that I felt like a "rubber band". He had broken up fights before and never experienced that. I felt neither disgusted nor triumpant, but extremely pleased with how I reacted. I was also happy that after my attacker was arrested and found guilty of assault, he caught up with me afterwards, shook my hand, and apologized. I don't think that would have happened if I had broken his nose. I'm already pretty dedicated, so it didn't necessarily make me want to practice more (or less).
Posted by: ErikCalderon

Re: aikido in physical conflict - 01/16/07 09:09 AM

I've actually used Aikido in a few situations. And very interestingly, when I used it, it worked.

First time, I was 20 years old, and it was kind of sorta a bar fight. I just started Aikido a few months earlier and got jumped by five, yes five real human beings, out to get me.

Let's see, two of them tried to jump me, funny, at the same time. I did a tenkan and went right through both of them, they ran into each other a fell to the ground.

Third guy came at me with a punch to the face, again did tenkan and he fell straight to the ground (He was really trying to knock me out in one punch.)

The fourth guy, I did some tae kwon do and kicked him so hard in the abdomen, he just fell.

The fifth guy was hughe, like twice my size and very strong looking...so this is where I messed up and got a little egotistical.

I got right up in front of him looked him down and started talking to him, you know, like a movie actor would...Now you think your big and you think you can take me out...etc....

Well, as I was doing that I forgot about the other guys and they grabbed me, pulled me down to the ground and started, trying, to beat the living crap out of me.....this is where I started using my ground skills. Every kick, every punch,etc I blocked. About 30 seconds later, a good friend of mine noticed what was going on, he started screaming, "police" and the guys took off running.

I got up with only one small scratch and no bruises.

This was the first time I had to use it. The only time I really lost my mind, zanshin.

All the other times, it worked great. But better to remember the times I failed and talk about them to learn and not forget.

And it's not the only time I've been attacked by multiple people.

Sometimes, I think luck might have a lot to do with it.
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: aikido in physical conflict - 01/18/07 09:31 PM

Who here believes EricCalderon's story?

Re: aikido in physical conflict - 01/19/07 12:11 PM

Not it!
Calderon's story is pretty unbelievable. I was a bartender for nine years and I've studied martial arts for 19. I don't buy it.

"First time, I was 20 years old, and it was kind of sorta a bar fight. I just started Aikido a few months earlier and got jumped by five, yes five real human beings, out to get me."

--Just a few months of Aikido and he can already beat five guys? He should be teaching his own fighting style because he sure as Hell wasn't using Aikido techniques in a real fight if he had only studied it for a few months. Don't insult Aikido or our intelligence by making such claims, Calderon.

"I did a tenkan and went right through both of them, they ran into each other a fell to the ground."

--"I did a tenkan and went through both of them"? What are you even talking about? Sounds pretty vague.

"The fourth guy, I did some tae kwon do and kicked him so hard in the abdomen, he just fell."

--You "did some tae kwon do"? Maybe you mean a front kick?

I could be wrong--I don't know Calderon personally--but I hate it when people make these ridiculous claims. They should be called out for giving martial arts a bad name. Anybody agree?