Aikido's reputation and representatives

Posted by: Umbra_777

Aikido's reputation and representatives - 09/23/06 12:24 AM

I've done aikido for about 3 1/2 years but my college doesn't offer it so I'm going to give TKD a shot. On the application for the club they asked about previous martial arts experience and such so I mentioned aikido and the bit of kickboxing I'd done. In my first class we where doing knife edge strikes and lots of kicks, when I had a little trouble with them the instructor was surprised that we hadn't done them in aikido. When I said that we mainly did throws and joint locks he commented "But I see Steven Stegal(Sp?) beat people down all the time."

I dunno, I found this kindof funny. I think Aikido needs a new mascot
Posted by: Kysogkram

Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives - 09/23/06 06:57 AM

Must... find... different... dojo!!!!!!!!!1
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives - 10/24/06 09:36 PM

When people think the movie martial arts are real, it's time to send them to rehab... Maybe he thinks that people can fly like they did in all the Chinese flicks too...

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Open head
2. Install new brain
3. Restart

Posted by: TeK9

Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives - 10/24/06 11:47 PM

Great to have you back Wristtwister.

His instructor could have meant that he was surprised that he was unfamiliar with attacking techniques such as kicking and punching. Seems to me he practiced more defensive techniques against grabs.

Remember we had a conversation about aikido having the reputation of only being seen as a passive art. When infact it can be used aggressively and blends well with your jujutsu.

-Tek
Posted by: neb1979

Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives - 10/25/06 02:42 AM

Hi Umbra,

I have found that a lot of people that study Aikido as their first Martial art don't really know how to punch or kick very well and if these people move onto another art that is prodominatly a striking art they are usually lost. Reason for this is that Aikido doesn't really focus on striking. Even though a famous person said that Aikido is 90% atemi it depends on what "style" of Aikido that you study to whether or not you will learn atemi.

I have a background in striking arts and thought it strange that my ukes weren't punching correctly and with out proper force, then it came to me not everyone has studied other arts so they wouldn't have a clue how to strike.

Aikido does need a new mascot although you must give it to Steven Segal as it was largely his movies in the early eighties that got a lot of peope interested in Aikido

Cheers
Ben
Posted by: MushinKaika

Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives - 10/29/06 09:52 PM

It depends on the Sensei wether or not you'll become skilled at striking. My sensei has studied a alrge assortment of arts and we've been taught alot of hard stikes along with the moves of Aikido. It mostly comes into play when we cam, direct the persons arm and follow through with a cross punch or elbow strike to the ribs. So maybe Steven Sagal isn't the best Aikido rep, but he's good at reresenting how Aikido can compliment other martial arts.
Posted by: djemboy2

Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives - 11/06/06 08:47 AM

Hi
Thought i would give this topic a reply as i noticed that Steven Seagal's name mentioned, i completely understand that movies are'nt real, but what i think a lot of people forget is that Steven Seagal is Actually a very acclompished Aikidoki, and it is safe to assume that what you see on film has the potential to work, i can hear the cries of "have this idiot committed" or "don't listen to this fool", but hear me out, i have watched not only his movies, but also some footage of him giving Demo's and classes, His Aikido is impressive, and he has knowledge enough to teach, what the novies are portraying is a style of aikido that can potentially work, if you watch them in slo mo you will see that all the Technique such as kote-gaeshi, Tenchi Nage, irimini Nage and so on are performed correctly, i have a lot of respect for Mr Seagal, as he brought a style into the public eye that was not there before, Bruce Lee did pretty much the same thing, i think that you have to take the esscence of what you see in a movie and look at it logically, with the will this wont this work attitude, try out the technique you see and then if it will work practise it and make it part of your instinct, if it doesnt then discard it, to say that someone is not a good ambassador because they are in a movie is very limited, if you think that the only place you can learn is in a Fixed place, with a man or woman who wears a nice clean Gi and bows out of respect, then what you are learning is as hampered as much as sayong that because its on a film it has no merit.
it does'nt matter where you learn as long as what you learn produces the desired result.
Posted by: neb1979

Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives - 11/06/06 09:01 AM

Hey djemboy2,

I don't think the fact that Steven Segal is in movies is the reason for saying that Aikido needs a new ambassador. Don't get me wrong Steven Segal is a very knowledgeable and experienced Aikidoka. I think the reason is what has been said about his life/lifestyle outside of his Aikido/Dojo. Also have you noticed in his video Path Beyond Thought and in his movies that his uke is about 5 foot tall and not very built?

Cheers
Ben
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives - 11/07/06 10:46 PM

Hello Wristtwister:

<<Maybe he thinks that people can fly like they did in all the Chinese flicks too...

Your Sensei didn't teach you those secrets too... I was sick that day myself...

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Opening head
2. Installing newer-larger brain
3. Restarting

[Wondering what I did wrong... not really noticing any differences... oh wait a minute I've got to USE my brain to make it work.... grrrrrrr ]

Jeff
Posted by: djemboy2

Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives - 11/09/06 02:00 PM

i have read about Mr Seagals lifestyle outside of the Dojo and i have to say that as the press never gives a false account of a celebrity, or hounds said person night and day or god forbid should invent things about said celeb, then i have to agree Aikido needs a new representative, we certainly dont want to be affiliated with an individual who has knowledge, skill, and a prescence that brings Aikido into the public eye.
i'm sorry to sound sarcastic, but what has his pesonal life got to do with His Aikido, as far as i can see you are basing the assumption that he is an immoral character on what you read in the tabloids, i think that this man has done as much for Aikido as Bruce Lee did for Kung fu and nunchaku's, his outside life has nothing to do with his representation of Aikido, i know i am coming off as a steven seagal fan, and thats probably because i am and a very big one, i rate him alongside Bruce Lee, higher than Jackie Chan, jean claude van ballet dancer or Jet li, he has what others lack and thats screen presence, so as an ambassador for Aikido, i doubt you will find anyone who has the ability to produce the excitement that he does, and i dont think thats a bad thing, most people started Kung Fu to immitate Bruce Lee when he hit the cinema Screens, look into his background, he was a habitual Cannabis user, neglegent of his wife due to work commiments, used to be a thug in Hong Kong and so on, and as far as his uke's being 5' tall, i think they might be slightly taller than that but i do take your point, i am sure that he does'nt only practise with japanese size people.
Posted by: belvedere

Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives - 11/26/06 03:30 PM

This is a very interesting thread! I know why Segal Sensei has received a "negative rep" in the majority of the Aikido world; and maybe it is deserved. I don't Segal Sensei personally, so I can't say one way or the other. But like others have said, Segal Sensei's movies have brought Aikido more into the public awareness (just like Bruce Li and Chuck Norris' movies did - I wonder if their Seifus and Senseis felt the same way about them?), and without them, it is safe to say I would never have found this wonderful martial art that has had such a powerful impact on my life, and many others'.
Posted by: aikidonut

Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives - 12/27/06 08:46 PM

that's true, aikido doesnt teach how to kick or punch, no matter what everyone says about true attacks. however, that is not what aikido is about. aikido also doesnt teach you how to use a shotgun, or shoot arrows from horses, but would you fault it for that too? I learned how to kick by hitting bags at a TKD dojo for a year. I can punch. I am not sure a black belt aikidoka could evade a Muay thai kick.... I know, I was in a ring with one, on , and I saw how fast those guys are....given half a chance,they also beat all the tkd and karateka I've sparred with.and you know why,? most of these guys are dirt poor, and they devote everything to it. most karateka and US martial artists aremiddle class wage earners! no comparison. !They wouldnt give up everything, they got families and jobs! not the folks at real muay thai, in thailand! but that's not what it's about. If i were to list everything I got out of aikido, which is my MA, it would take pages. Yes, I saw some great kicking and punching, in other arts, but ...so what?... to quote miles davis....,I don't have to prove myself. In this world, most people will not have to prove themselves in a physical fight. Even if they do, is it worth years and thousands of dollars doing somethi8ng as boring as punching a bag? I was attacked once, after a fender bender. by two people. I showed them a little irimi nage, and the both turned tail, went running into their car, hurling racial insults out the window. Loovely situation. My point is, I will not train to look forward to that kind of day. I was not proud, although, if I had been a sensei on that day, I would have given myself shodan on the spot.I had to experience it to learn that. Before that event, I would have welcomed a fight, just to see if aikido worked. Well, it did, when I was a YELLOW belt level, and it didnt make me feel good..dont train for conflict, dont look for conflict,...but that may be a lesson everyone has to learn the way I did,....on the road....