Yamada Sensei

Posted by: wristtwister

Yamada Sensei - 05/14/06 10:11 PM

Just curious, but have any of you trained with Yamada Sensei based in New York?

Posted by: iaibear

Re: Yamada Sensei - 05/15/06 09:30 AM

I have only watched him at a seminar. Very impressive.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Yamada Sensei - 05/15/06 11:04 AM

my kids just started classes with one of his students. seminar schedule for Yamada Sensei is here:
http://www.nyaikikai.com/seminars.asp?InstructorID=1

Re: Yamada Sensei - 05/15/06 06:32 PM

I trained with him at a seminar in Atlanta a few years ago. As your friend says, his technique is impressive. We did koshi waza (hip throw techniques) for almost 5 hours.

The next morning, I couldn't walk down the stairs at the house where I stayed (without help). My hips were beat into a pulp, and driving back to South Carolina was a real adventure.

When I got back, I went back to training and thought I was having trouble with an old leg injury, and trained for almost a year with a broken hip without knowing it. By the time my chiropracter x-rayed it and found the fracture, it had healed... but it was an adventure for 12 months or so.

It was the only time in all my years that I couldn't go on the 2nd day. Must be getting soft...

Posted by: JimH

Re: Yamada Sensei - 06/15/06 04:42 PM

I have opportunity to train at the Yamada Sensei at the Aikikai.
Class is brought to attention,Yamada sensei comes out,respects paid and then Yamada Sensei demos a technique on a senior student,it is done fast,slow and then gats again,roughly three demos per technique then he sits and the class works the technique with seniors going round making corrections ,then back to Yamada Sensei to Demo another technique.

Classes are always packed or they were when I trained in Aikido.

Re: Yamada Sensei - 06/23/06 06:24 PM

That was pretty much how his seminar went as well, but clearly he had "the technique" to teach. He did some techniques where he was in a wide straddle stance and his hips were almost level with his knees... tremendous extension for anyone his age to be able to push their butt that far down between their legs in a standing position.

I would have loved to train with him long term, but he's in New York, and South Carolina is more than just a "short drive". If you have the opportunity, I'd certainly take advantage of it.