Humbleness and Respect

Posted by: frankbri

Humbleness and Respect - 03/11/06 06:30 PM

I recently started to learn Daito Ryu Kodo Kai under Roy Goldberg whom I highly recommend. While only being a student for two months, I have never felt more comfortable in a martial arts class because of the respect I am given. If I make mistakes, and I make plenty at age fifty, I am corrected with courtesy and respect. I had taken classes in another style for seven months in which some black belts would roll their eyes at me or express frustration with me. This never helps! However, humility and gentleness go a long way. Quite by accident I discovered that within my own home town of Mamaroneck, NY, an experienced Daito Ryu sensei was offering classes. I hope others will discover this school (East Coast Martial Arts). Mentors are hard to find and Roy is one of the best.
Posted by: Ukraine

Re: Humbleness and Respect - 03/11/06 09:40 PM

Sensei Bob and Sensei Mitch RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Humbleness and Respect - 03/12/06 06:01 PM

Most people fail to realize that the courtesy in martial arts is twofold. It is both from the culture that fomented the arts, and from the military that used them.

Courtesy in martial arts is military courtesy. If it were polite courtesy, they wouldn't be fighting at any point.

As for humility, it is borne of skill. There's no reason to be arrogant and bullish if you can kick the soup out of everyone in the room, which is one of the main reasons that the higher ranks should show that kind of discipline. I was taught that "a black belt is not only the mark of skill, but that of a large and forgiving heart". Anything less than that would make martial arts less than what they teach.

I've taught a class many times and said "you can't teach kindness in a martial arts class, but you can teach forbearance". I expect my students to conduct themselves like ladie and gentlemen off the mats, and good sports on the mats. I also expect them to go "full tilt" when they practice and when they fight.

Posted by: trevek

Re: Humbleness and Respect - 03/13/06 05:31 PM

I don't know if it because I was in the army but I have always made a point ofapproaching and treating my instructors with respect. Even if I only train at a place for a few weeks as a passer-by or a guest.

I find this shows them they can also treat me with respect and humility. I don't think I'd stay around if this didn't work. Mind you, I've not had the misfortune to train under anyone who didn't have my respect.
Posted by: Ninja_H

Re: Humbleness and Respect - 07/10/06 02:53 PM

Where I train, we are taught that training partners must have full trust in each other in order to practice without concern about vengeful retribution. So, we all end up being humble and respectful when practicing. And, surprisingly or not, this humillity and respectfulness extends beyond training as well.

There really was only once, where another one from the dojo I train in was acting cocky. I train Ninjutsu, and sparring (close combat) is part of the school's curriculum. It was funny though, since I have quick reflexes, I managed to block/dodge his flurry of blows, and pat him in the forehead whenever I got the chance to explore his openings. He really looked ticked off when I managed to do that. The funniest thing of all is, I was a white belt (still am... being slow to graduate...), and he was a brown one.

Sorry if it felt like I was bragging, but I was googling up Daito Ryu, and found this thread, and it reminded me of this story.
Posted by: elin12

Re: Humbleness and Respect - 07/10/06 05:24 PM

That's a pretty cool story it seems like you are a white belt because you are taking the time to learn your craft, and in the end you will become a more powerful warrior. Very smart, very admirable.
Posted by: Ninja_H

Re: Humbleness and Respect - 07/11/06 03:16 PM

Hehe, actually I'm a bit of a slacker in ordinary practice. I should really work a lot harder.

Back on topic now, everyone.
Posted by: AnthonyJr

Re: Humbleness and Respect - 11/12/06 05:56 PM

Does anyone have the phone # or address of Sensei Goldberg's dojo in Mamaroneck, NY? Thank-you.