Kokyu vs. Ki

Posted by: Joe Jutsu

Kokyu vs. Ki - 12/12/05 09:38 PM

Hello-

I was wondering if anyone out there could make a distinction between kokyu and ki. I know there definitions, but could anyone be kind enough to elaborate a bit.

Eyrie, in another thread, alluded to the fact that ki and kokyu are definable and can be cultivated. He also alluded to talking with Mike Sigman, who seems to have some working knowledge in the subject, but to his discredit on the recent threads that I've seen him contribute to, he sort of goads everyone else without really contributing much to the discussion (he probably is a great uke ).

Sorry if it looks like I'm taking a stab at anyone, that's not my intention. I just participated in a wonderful seminar, where sensei explicitly said that kokyu and ki are different, but I didn't seize the opportunity to have him elaborate. That's why I am asking all of you.

Arigato-

Joe
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Kokyu vs. Ki - 12/13/05 12:37 AM

Tsk tsk.... that would've been the first thing to ask!

With all due respect to Mike, the reason he goads is to "force" people to ask the right questions. If you can demonstrate some level of understanding of what he is trying to talk about, then he will contribute something toward your understanding (at the level of understanding that you are at).

There is no point in him mentioning a whole bunch of stuff that would only serve to confuse. (I sometimes have to catch myself telling my students too much in case I confuse the hell out of them. Also, their asking me questions indicates the level of understanding that they are at, so I can either add to it, or steer them along an extended line of thinking).

IME, I've found Mike to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful. So let's just keep to the topic at hand.... kokyu and ki.

From what I understand, these 2 are separate but interrelated things, and together they provide the essence of martial power.

Re: Kokyu vs. Ki - 12/14/05 12:01 AM

So, then how would you define kokyunage?

And what exercises do you believe to develop kokyu, as opposed to ki development exercises?

Thanks,
-Joe

Re: Kokyu vs. Ki - 12/14/05 12:19 AM

Is kokyunage merely a "breath" throw? Or there other factors involved? Particularly with how you throw, and specifically how you use the ground force path internally? I'm not talking "no-touch" throws. How do you do kokyunage?

I have already attempted to describe these in the other thread.

What do you think the "warm up" exercises, e.g. fune-kogi undo, sayu-undo, chinkon-kishin, etc. etc. "do"? Which ones are ki development ones primarily, and which ones kokyu, and which are both?

What are you doing (i.e. training/developing) when you perform these exercises??

And how are these exercises different in substance to the "techniques" proper?

Just so we can establish if you and I are on the same page.

Re: Kokyu vs. Ki - 12/14/05 06:11 PM

Eyrie-

-Kokyunage is not merely a breath throw. Of course the literal translation of kokyunage is “breath power throw,” but it has been explained to me that kokyunage should be thought of as a timing throw. Extending breath and extending ki are not the same thing (obviously). Nothing specific is done with the breath, as the throws of have been taught to me. You as how I do the throws? Not very well lol!;) Kokyunage is an immense classification of throws in my style. But I can say that for all of them, rhythm and a strong emphasis on down, up, down (for most) in addition to harmonizing with (I’m going to say it) the universe, in this case specifically with gravity. As for using the ground-force internally, I’ve never had the question put in so many words. Could you explain how you do, and maybe I will have a better idea of the question?

I don’t know if I implied that funekogi, sayundo etc. were merely “warm up” exercises. They all can be looked at as ki development exercises, but again its never been explained to me in the dojo that we are developing kokyu.

Even in kokyudosa, the emphasis is definitely on ki development. I’ve never heard kokyu mentioned.

Again, my working definition of kokyu is timing, so I would say that the exercise set that probably best develops kokyu in the style that I train in is oneness rhythm taiso, or perhaps working through the kumi waza as training tools in and of themselves.

Could you please describe chinkon-kishin, because I am not familiar with this exercise?

As to your question about how these exercise differ in substance, can you be more specific? Physically or externally, the applications of hitori waza change from application to application, but the ki should be the same I would think. Does that answer your question?

Thanks for the response,

Joe
Posted by: csinca

Re: Kokyu vs. Ki - 12/14/05 06:37 PM

I've seen so many things described as kokyunage that I came to the conclusion that if a throw doesn't have another name, it's either kokyunage or iriminage, depending on whether you entered....

Chris

Re: Kokyu vs. Ki - 12/14/05 06:49 PM

Quote:

-Kokyunage is not merely a breath throw. Of course the literal translation of kokyunage is “breath power throw,” but it has been explained to me that kokyunage should be thought of as a timing throw. Extending breath and extending ki are not the same thing (obviously). Nothing specific is done with the breath, as the throws of have been taught to me. You as how I do the throws? Not very well lol!;) Kokyunage is an immense classification of throws in my style. But I can say that for all of them, rhythm and a strong emphasis on down, up, down (for most) in addition to harmonizing with (I’m going to say it) the universe, in this case specifically with gravity. As for using the ground-force internally, I’ve never had the question put in so many words. Could you explain how you do, and maybe I will have a better idea of the question?

Irrespective of the immense classifications, I would suggest that they are all done in pretty much the same way. It also has less to do with the breath-timing, per se, and more with how one does, say fune-kogi.... (see below).

Quote:

I don’t know if I implied that funekogi, sayundo etc. were merely “warm up” exercises. They all can be looked at as ki development exercises, but again its never been explained to me in the dojo that we are developing kokyu.

I was only asking the question, not suggesting it was implied in your response. My research leads me to believe these are "basic" kokyu development exercises. Learning to use the ground force is a large part of it. But it also involves "pressurizing" the force (with or without) using the breath and internally directing the vector forces thru the "command" and "control" centers.

Quote:

Even in kokyudosa, the emphasis is definitely on ki development. I’ve never heard kokyu mentioned.

Kokyu-dosa is both a ki and kokyu development exercise. Probably the most important one too.

Quote:

Again, my working definition of kokyu is timing, so I would say that the exercise set that probably best develops kokyu in the style that I train in is oneness rhythm taiso, or perhaps working through the kumi waza as training tools in and of themselves.

You're (Tohei's) Ki aikido, right? What "ki" exercises did Tohei emphasize that you have found to relate to aikido waza? Just curious.

Quote:

Could you please describe chinkon-kishin, because I am not familiar with this exercise?

It's a series of exercises. See Dan Penrod's article:
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/articles/chinkon.htm

The "mystical" esoteric explanations of the exercises are somewhat misleading. If you look at the "spirit" of the exercises themselves, it is quite obvious (to me at least!) what is being trained here.

Quote:

As to your question about how these exercise differ in substance, can you be more specific? Physically or externally, the applications of hitori waza change from application to application, but the ki should be the same I would think. Does that answer your question?

No, I'm talking about the internals and how it is done "internally".

Just so we're clear, I'm not looking at external appplication of technique, but rather the internal training aspects as they relate to the "techniques" themselves.

If that makes any sense?

Re: Kokyu vs. Ki - 12/19/05 12:14 AM

Dan Harden's response. Crossed-posted from aikiweb for reference:

Quote:

Timing has nothing to do with it, and the control of their postural integrity does not require specific breathing on your part either. Though there are things you can do in that regard that will enhance things .

The single most important thing in my opinion is that your body can connect with the ground and then with whatever you are connecting with in them..and with nothing stiffening or inhibiting the flow in between. Its like making a river or what we call "a current" in you-that gets transfered to them. It is hard to explain. Well it can be explained but you really have to feel it to learn it.

At a certain point you should be able to feel the stiffness in them and help them to make it go away.

Anyway, timing is...well timing. Great stuff for fighting-but not required as a piece of the puzzle here.

The Seagal single breath through multiple movements for fluidity I discount as well. You should be able to breath naturally through movement and connection and then to breath ..well differently- by choice for certain things
cheers
Dan

http://aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?p=125720#post125720

Re: Kokyu vs. Ki - 12/29/05 07:43 PM

Hmmm.... thanks for all the food for thought eyrie. I only have time to try to address a few things right now though. First, a question: Can you please elaborate on "Ground force" because I have not come across this specific phrase in my aikido practice?

I do practice Tohei's Ki Aikido, and though I've never taken a class from Tohei sensei, I would hypothesize that he would say that all of the Ki Development and hitori waza (aiki taiso) exercises relate to aikido waza. Specifically I would argue that ikkyo, tenkan, funekogi, udefuri & udefuri choyaku are hitori waza that are quickly connected to aikido waza. From Tohei's Oneness Rhythm Exercise, which is being heavily emphasized these days, the very first exercise where the arms are extended out at shoulder height and drop down to the thighs as you drop one point, keep a pause (seishi would be a more correct way of saying that, then the arms come up back to shoulder heigth. Repeat ad nauseum
This movement is a basic "classic kokyunage" movement, and the ability to move the whole body down, with gravity as a cohesive unit centered on one point is crucial to all ki aikido techniques, anyway.

And thanks for the link to the site that explained chinkin koshin. Interesting stuff.

That's all I got for now.

Joe

Re: Kokyu vs. Ki - 01/04/06 08:33 PM

Hi Joe,

Sorry for not replying earlier. Been on vacation. Too much booze and food... and not enough training.

Google for "ground reaction force" and see what comes up.

AFAIK, "using the ground" is never spoken in so many words in aikido, but it most certainly uses it. Fune-kogi undo is the basis for it (i.e. using the GRF, and the source of power for all kokyu techniques). Ikkyo is merely manisfestation of the GRF in the whole body and hands. i.e. using the GRF and redirecting it internally thru the skeletal structure and using the myofascial sheath to provide "ki", you can pretty much "extend" ki and kokyu in any of the 6 basic directions - up/down., left/right, front/back.

Also, look up "six harmonies eight methods" and it will give you some idea of how to apply kokyu. The principles are there and you now have enough to work out how to apply it in the aikido context.

Not sure what udefuri & udefuri choyaku are though. Can you clarify?

Re: Kokyu vs. Ki - 01/05/06 03:29 AM

Hey eyrie-

Yeah, I've been up to a little too much booze and not enough training myself. Our dojo closed for a couple of weeks around Christmas. to my chagrin, and now that I am (finally) officially a college graduate, I admit that I have been prolonging the celebration a bit too long, and am looking forward to getting my lazy ass back on the mat!

Anyway, thanks again for providing the fuzzy white rabbit for me to chase. I have not had to the opportunity to investigate my inquiries further, but in answer to your questions about udefuri and udefuri choyaku, they are basic ki society hitori waza, that most directly come (martially anyway)from our standard multiple person randori throw, where uke is generally coming to tie nage up by grabbing both shoulders, and nage throws by sort of leading one arm down and the other arm up while throwing along the same direction that uke is coming (zenpounage). But after rereading the previous sentence, I think that I'm misrepresenting the throw a bit, because the feeling and emphasis are very much an up (catch uke uperside), then down, as opposed to feeling like you are splitting uke with his/her arms, and really using the back arm to lead uke over the dropped hand, at least not unless that is what you need to do in situations like I often find myself where things are a little less than ideal . This way, though, would not be at least for ki society be ideal, especially for "taigi." But that's a different discussion entirely.

But for the hitori waza, for udefuri the arms start at shoulder level, in a zombie/frankenstein's monster-esque pose, then both arms drop to the left, then to the right. When swinging left, the left arm naturally wraps a little around your backside and the right arm comes to the opposite hip, then vice versa. When the arms are in the center or neutral position, they should be a little wider than shoulder width, and the same distance between the arms should be essentially maintained throughout the exercise. But the center position is only really acheived at the beginning of the exercise, when on "ichi" they drop to the left, and on ni swing across to the right side in a continuous arc. The key here is relaxation and harmony with gravity.

The choyaku, or "skipping" version, involves a deep hanmi, and nage sort of cuts as if drawing a katana and cutting at neck level, and then spinning around that point. The turn has a tenkan feel in the hips and the feet. This motion is better exemplified in basic versions of katatekosadori kokyunage, or cross-wrist grab skill-throw? . We have a link to this throw on my college aikido club website, taking with a digital camera that took about fifteen pictures throughout the course of the technique. It can be seen here: http://www.ku.edu/~kiaikido/gallery/content/jasonkokyunageseries.jpg

This is perhaps not the best example, but if you look at the first couple of shots as nage enters, that is basic udefuri choyaku, except in hitoriwaza nage begins with his hand on his hip, not extended for uke to grab, so of course the sword cutting first action is not demonstrated in the kumi waza. But, if you pay attention to nage's hips and footwork, this is the same as hitori waza, but in hitori waza there we don't do an armswing like in techniqe. Instead. the arms stay level to the ground, extended but definitely with the hands a bit in front of your shoulders, ie less than 180 degrees between your arms, more like 120-150 but can differ according to body type IMO. Basic ki tests should be applicable and passable at all logical points both in the hitori waza and kumi waza of these related techniques.

Wow, it's really hard to explain alot of this stuff online, let alone in person, which is challenging enough! But if this serves as a little insight or to illuminate some differences in training methodologies then cool. I'm always frustrated when I get on aikido forums and I can't decipher what's being discussed, as if they were speaking a foreign language. Go figure! So anyway, I gave a go at explaining what I was talking about. Hope it made a little sense. Time for more training and less "talk-kido".

Joe
Posted by: camel

Re: Kokyu vs. Ki - 01/22/06 08:05 AM

aren't kokiu related with motion of your wrist? and ki with breathing?

I don't think what we use ki while doing something like moratadori-kokiho or suwariwaza-kokiho where wrist movement in these exercises is called kokiu

I think ki is more abstract word then kokiu like concentrating your energy to any place of your body, while kokiu is more about arm and wrist

Re: Kokyu vs. Ki - 01/22/06 05:02 PM

Quote:

aren't kokiu related with motion of your wrist? and ki with breathing?

I don't think what we use ki while doing something like moratadori-kokiho or suwariwaza-kokiho where wrist movement in these exercises is called kokiu

I think ki is more abstract word then kokiu like concentrating your energy to any place of your body, while kokiu is more about arm and wrist

Er... no it's not. Kokyu specifically involves the use of the ground reaction force path and vector forces. Ki involves pressurizing the myofascial "body suit".