Complimentary Arts

Posted by: Joe Jutsu

Complimentary Arts - 11/29/05 06:09 PM

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has picked up any other martial arts to compliment their aikido. Or did you maybe pick aikido to compliment another MA. Why did you pic the particular MA that you did to compliment aikido. Was it to gain striking skills that you feel that you lacked, or maybe it was to get some idea of what it is like to be on your back in an unfavorable situation?

I will start with myself. AT roughly the beginning of the summer I started practicing Eishin Ryu Iaido. For those who do not know what that is, it is one of the oldest Iaido schools, which is basically a meditative art involving drawing a sword (iaito) from the sheath (saya), cutting in the same motion, finishing off the imagined opponent(s), letting the blood slide off and replacing the sword in a dignified manner. We do a little Katori Shinto Ryu Iaido as well, which includes work with bokken and bo. These arts were available at my dojo, so they were sort of easy to get into (except the price for an entry level iaito is about $450!!). I started it because I really admire the aikido of those who practice these other, more esoteric arts. I cannot really tell if they have been positively effecting my aikido yet, except that my bokken work has defiinitely improved. But since the training is very mental, I suppose to some degree the deep calm that we strive for has been evident in my aikido.

I'm curious as always to read your replies.

Joe.
Posted by: xuzen_628

Re: Complimentary Arts - 11/30/05 12:34 AM

A complete newbie to the art of Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo, the art of Japanese stick fighting; my base art being Yoshinkan-ryu aikido.

Jodo, IMO enhances my maai, courage i.e, improve my ability to avoid flinching from an attack, coordination, balance and footwork.

Jodo cover holes in my aikido by helping me in my offensive skill. It also improves by forearm muscle and striking power.

It also enable me to use tactics and strategies which otherwise I was previously unaware of.

Xwf.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Complimentary Arts - 11/30/05 10:59 AM

Recently tried Wado Ryu Karate. It seems to blend really well with Aikido. I suppose this is due to both arts being influenced by ju jutsu.
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: Complimentary Arts - 11/30/05 01:36 PM

Quote:

Recently tried Wado Ryu Karate. It seems to blend really well with Aikido. I suppose this is due to both arts being influenced by ju jutsu.

It depends on what you want to do with your Aikido.

Do you want to supplement your locking arts? Do you want to supplement your striking? What about Ki cultivation? Footwork? The question is, where do you want to take your Aikido, and maybe you can get a more definate answer.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Complimentary Arts - 12/02/05 07:44 AM

Good point. I think the Wado/Aikido combination works for me as it allows me to accomplish everything I want to as a Martial artist. I'll not bore you all with what I think a good martial artist should be, but Aikido/Wade helps attain this personal ideal.

From a technical point of view, I find I can blend my techniques when practicing both arts respectively. For instance, I find Unsoku useful for kumite in Wado, and I find some of the striking techniques learnt in Wado make me a very effective uke in Aikido.

So I would say that I view both martial arts as my training. I tell people I studied martial arts if they ever ask. I don't say I study Aikido and Wado. To me, they are inseparable. Not to say that they are not different martial arts, but to me personally they both run through the same conduit (i.e. me). I view them as one.

Many threads through one needle.
Posted by: sandanwanabe

Re: Complimentary Arts - 12/15/05 03:38 PM

I started to study ki society aikido in 1990. I found at the beginning the technique was very strong and the study of KI made perfect sense to me. As time went on though, I felt I needed something to round out the technique. I began to attend aikikai seminars in Toronto and surrounding area. I found that they offered more tech and less talk about KI. I had the best of both worlds. I continued to practice with both but eventually moved completely to aikikai since the ki society in ontario seemed to be running into some serious problems.

During all of this, I began to study military unarmed combat which gave me some insight into pressure point combat, grappling and weapons. The pressure point stuff is quite useable in aikdio practice from time to time.

The most complimentary I find is Traditional Wing Chun. Both arts are based on centre line theory. Move from and protect the centre. There are traps and throws in WC and when practicing, I often find that I can move into any of the aikido tech once I have broken the attackers guard.

GReat fun...all of them...

but if I had to give them up and only study one...Aikido would be the one I stick with. It has offered the most mentally for me over the years.

Just my two cents worth...
Posted by: firecoins

Re: Complimentary Arts - 12/20/05 07:23 PM

tai chi has been complimentary to my aikido training.