"Game" face?

Posted by: iaibear

"Game" face? - 10/26/05 11:15 AM

I have been made aware that my face changes when I am involved in doing a technique, either as uke or nage. It is neither a grimace nor a snarl. My face just goes blank, deadly blank. I cannot keep it from happening nor can I do it on call. I have never been able to see it in a mirror. The people in class kid about it; the newbies are frightened by it. One of our nicest instructors has it, too. Any ideas or suggestions?
Posted by: harlan

Re: "Game" face? - 10/26/05 11:24 AM

Get over it.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: "Game" face? - 10/26/05 11:32 AM

Let's imagine this scenario:

You're about to enter your first professional fight. When you get to the arena, you are given the choice of two opponents:

The first one is stalking about the ring, snarling, thumping his chest, and growling like a savage animal.

The second one is standing in his corner, perfectly still, with no emotional expression of any kind.

Which would you choose as your opponent? Me, I'd choose the snarling animal 10 out of 10 times.
Posted by: h2whoa

Re: "Game" face? - 10/26/05 10:59 PM

Quote:

Let's imagine this scenario:

You're about to enter your first professional fight. When you get to the arena, you are given the choice of two opponents:

The first one is stalking about the ring, snarling, thumping his chest, and growling like a savage animal.

The second one is standing in his corner, perfectly still, with no emotional expression of any kind.

Which would you choose as your opponent? Me, I'd choose the snarling animal 10 out of 10 times.

So would I, they are easier to predict. I would also consider the snarling one to be more sane.

*bows respectfully*
Posted by: eyrie

Re: "Game" face? - 10/27/05 12:44 AM

Get over it.

In the old man's words, the techniques of aikido should be performed in a joyful and vibrant manner - meaning your demeanour should reflect your inner state.
Posted by: csinca

Re: "Game" face? - 10/27/05 12:12 PM

It sounds like something is happening as you go through a technique. The question is: does your expression change because you are thinking/concentrating too hard on what you are doing or does it change because you are relaxed and flowing?

If this is a look of intense concentration then you may want to work on flowing more and thinking less. If this is your look of relaxation, then you are ahead of the game!

Chris

Re: "Game" face? - 11/25/05 01:00 PM

Quote:

It sounds like something is happening as you go through a technique. The question is: does your expression change because you are thinking/concentrating too hard on what you are doing or does it change because you are relaxed and flowing?

If this is a look of intense concentration then you may want to work on flowing more and thinking less. If this is your look of relaxation, then you are ahead of the game!

Chris

It happens automatically. Total zanchin. Mushin.
I thank you all for your information and advise.
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: "Game" face? - 11/25/05 01:17 PM

I have to agree with those above who have said to let the art flow more from inside, rather than contain it.

The beginner see's Aikido as an expression of self,
when one begins to learn Aikido it is a discipline of self.
Yet, when one Masters Aikido, it becomes once again an expression of self.

The old one must first have form to be formless arguement. Focus less on trying to have the perfect form of body, and try to have the perfect form of action. There is a huge difference and once you learn the difference in movement. You feel the joy in your art much more...

Thats my two cents at least.

Zanshin - "State of Total Awareness"
Mushin no Shin - "Mind of No Mind"

I always thought these two things were amusingly oxymoronic... Can one truly be totally aware of ones surroundsing while having no mind? My understanding of Mushin no Shin is that you react with muscle memory and Alpha Status mind. While Zanshin is remaining conciously aware of your surroundings. These two things appear mutually exclusive of each other.

Re: "Game" face? - 11/27/05 12:19 AM

Quote:

Zanshin - "State of Total Awareness"
Mushin no Shin - "Mind of No Mind"

I always thought these two things were amusingly oxymoronic... Can one truly be totally aware of ones surroundsing while having no mind?

Not necessarily. It is possible to be totally aware. But when the need arises for a technique that is part of muscle memory, aikido happens.

I am sorry if that sounds too simplistic, but that is the way I understand it.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: "Game" face? - 11/27/05 07:28 AM

The Founder used to speak about kami-waza or divine technique. This is where true aikido happens.
Posted by: Immortal_Highlander

I believe in the divine - 11/27/05 05:01 PM

Interesting viewpoint. Too bad I had to kill it. No anger. No malice. No hatred.

* kills post quietly, quickly and calmly *