Northern Virginia Aikido

Posted by: grady

Northern Virginia Aikido - 08/05/05 12:56 PM

Does anybody know anything about the Woodbridge Aikido Club or Northern Virginia Aikikai, Arlington Va? I have attended seesions to look it over and quite decide.

thanks
Posted by: Canyon

Re: Northern Virginia Aikido - 08/05/05 01:22 PM

Sorry I don't have info on those but I know there's also a small Iwama style school in Arlington under the name Aikido of Arlington, I believe. I'd like to hear what you have to say about these schools. Northern Virginia Aikido is run by one of Saotome's students, right? Never heard of the Woodbridge Aikido Club.
Posted by: judoka6

Re: Northern Virginia Aikido - 08/05/05 01:55 PM

I don't know anything about either of those dojos, but one I know of in the area is the Shobukan dojo in the Takoma area of DC. It's a great place with many great instructors.
Posted by: grady

Re: Northern Virginia Aikido - 08/05/05 01:56 PM

Yes, the school is called Aikido of Arlington. It is in a busy area during rush hour.

>Northern Virginia Aikido is run by one of Saotome's students
Yes, from what I read from their site.

After not doing MA for 27 years, I will probably stick with the Tang Soo Do and Danzan_Ryu for now. I don't care for the hard style, always done empty hand, but sparring is nice in the class with Tang Soo Do. We spar with the kickboxers (split class) in the Tang Soo Do.

Probably in the Spring I will move over to Northern Virginia Aikido and still keep Danzan_Ryu.

I just don't understand the emphasis on the obtaining of belts. When I was learning, ages ago, your were either white or black (student, teacher, or master). The senseis of each school, not Aikido group, don't quite understand that the learning is the elightenment. They talk about their Zen roots but I don't think they really understand the Zen concepts. O'well.

thanks for the info
cheer's