My first Lessons.........

Posted by: Tanqueraypoet

My first Lessons......... - 08/01/05 06:10 PM

Greetings to all.....

I have attended my first two lessons in Aikido and all I can say is WOW. I was looking for a hobby now that football is over and I found it. At 35, I feel like I am starting at the right time. I just have to lose my football build and work on the more sleek Aikido build! HA HA HA...

So MUCH to learn. It is definitely exciting.

peace,

Chris
Posted by: fighter91

Re: My first Lessons......... - 08/20/05 12:02 AM

thats cool...
Posted by: AkhilleusWeeps

Re: My first Lessons......... - 08/20/05 04:39 AM

Quote:

Greetings to all.....

I have attended my first two lessons in Aikido and all I can say is WOW. I was looking for a hobby now that football is over and I found it. At 35, I feel like I am starting at the right time. I just have to lose my football build and work on the more sleek Aikido build! HA HA HA...

peace,

Chris

Yay! Another Aikidoka =] Welcome and hope you stick around, gains are really slow in Aikido so do your best to not get discouraged. I honestly first had my doubts but the more time I spend on the mat the more I see how they truly relate to real world situations. Two awsome techniques are Ikkyo and Kotegaeshi they're the basics and basics always work! Especially when you practise from kata tori (shoulder grab) since most brawls start like this.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: My first Lessons......... - 08/20/05 08:12 PM

Most "brawls" start even before this....
Posted by: AkhilleusWeeps

Re: My first Lessons......... - 08/20/05 09:10 PM

Quote:

Most "brawls" start even before this....

Well....okay I guess it depends on the situation and person, for instance with my girlfriend the brawl won't really start till after a little kata tori ooooh behbeh. =]
Posted by: Chanters

Re: My first Lessons......... - 08/22/05 04:30 AM

Welcome to the beautiful world of aikido Tanqueraypoet! Glad you're enjoying your training. Like AkhilleusWeeps says as there are a LOT of techniques to learn and progress is slow but once you get there it is very rewarding, (not that I've mastered any of them yet! )
Posted by: SpeedyGonzales

Re: My first Lessons......... - 08/22/05 03:46 PM

Quote:

Greetings to all.....

peace,

Chris

Congratulation on finding what could be a lifelong hobby, even after you might lose your "football build." But may I suggest that you do not try to alter your body unless it involves losing fat and only fat? Muscle is not bad, aikido just happens to not need it as much. But in daily life and in health, muscle is a good thing and a necessary.

Many of Morihei's early students, such as Shirata, were extremely strong, and all they had to alter was how to control their muscle, not alter or lose them.

Good luck!
Posted by: eyrie

Re: My first Lessons......... - 08/22/05 06:49 PM

Hello SpeedyGonzales and welcome to the forums.