The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories??

Posted by: bushi541

The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 07/18/05 08:57 PM

Hey guys I personally haven't trained in Aikido, I've been to a couple of seminars but that's about it. Also I've read many books and own dvds on the art. I plan to enter the Shinjinkai School in Chicago, I heard it's really great and the instructors are just awsome.

Any ways the reason for this post is just to have a general discussion about the people who we mostly admire. Which are our sensies. Madmusashi has told me a couple about Moore Sensei of the Shinjinkai and I enjoy reading such stories about thier experiences and how they handle various situations. An example is by Madmusashi, personally this story says alot about a sensie.
"Here's one of my favorite stories about Sensei Moore that was related to me by my former roommate, who was out having a drink with him at an Irish pub. Apparently some big drunken jerk approached her and began to hit on her. Despite the fact that she told him she wasn't interested, the big guy wouldn't leave her alone. In desperation, she said, "I'm here with my boyfriend." She pointed over at Keith.

"What's THAT @$$*^#@&^ gonna do about it?" the guy bellowed.

Keith merely smiled, shrugged, and raised his beer. This unsettled the guy so much that he walked away. "
I think this is one of the best stories I've ever heard. If any of you have anything similar or any thing that tells about your senseis skill or any aikidoists skill please do tell.
Posted by: madmusashi

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 07/20/05 12:17 AM

Now you've gotten me started!

This is my favorite story about Shihan Fumio Toyoda (1947-2001), the founder of the AAA.

After a particularly intense two hour class, Toyoda Sensei, much to our delight, asked the students if they had any specific questions about certain techniques, etc. He rarely did this, so everyone stayed behind and pummeled him with questions.

Several people asked questions like, "What would you do against a sucker punch?" or "How do you deal with a grappler?" etc. He would call students up and show them the techniques for the specific attacks.

I raised my hand, and he pointed to me. "Yes?"

"What technique would you do if the guy had a gun?" I asked.

Toyoda rubbed his chin thoughtfully and then smiled.

In broken English, he replied, "Run."

We all burst into laughter. That was the moment I knew I was in really good hands.

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 07/20/05 03:05 PM

Madmusashi once again you've given me a great story. Mannn you must feel lucky to have trained with such great seseis. I would I mean if my sensei is that skilled and can avoid getting into fights because he knows what he can do. It's not like those senseis or instructors who just fight to prove them selves that they can use thier art in real life situations. I mean it truly is great to be taught by people who have control, wisdom, and dynamic power!!! Thanks for the story man I hope this topic will catch up.
Posted by: xuzen_628

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 08/02/05 03:38 AM

My sensei buy us rounds of beer after every grading. Now, try to beat that!
X wf
Posted by: aikidox

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 08/02/05 05:53 PM

What's a sensie anyway??

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 08/03/05 03:00 PM

A Sensei is a teaher and instrucot who guides you in the Japanese Martial arts.
Posted by: csinca

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 08/03/05 11:18 PM

Quote:

A Sensei is a teaher and instrucot who guides you in the Japanese Martial arts.

Sensei is not specific to martial arts

Chris
Posted by: eyrie

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 08/03/05 11:49 PM

Just a gentle prompt, but I think this is getting off track. Last I checked, this is the Aikido forum.

So, would someone like to contribute a story about their aikido teacher?
Posted by: ChuckM

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 11/25/05 09:27 AM

When I first started Aikido, I was vey unsure of its ways. I had come from a Tae Kwon Do background having reached the rank of 2nd Dan. My sensei's instuctor came into the dojo to see how I was doing after a few lessons. He noticed how ridged I was and asked what I thought of Aikido so far. I was honest and told him I was unsure.

He said OK, I understand. How about a little demonstration?
Sure I replied.
He sat in seiza in the center of the room, 12' from any wall. He offered his hand to me and said to assume my tae kwon do front stance. I did and then was told to hold his finger. He asked if I could roll and fall (As this was what the first lessons worked on) I said yes. He used ki and dropped his hand across his body to the floor. The next thing I know am in the air, roll, and am looking at the opposite wall! That was enough for me and have been a student of Peny Ryu bujitsu since.

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 12/04/05 04:39 AM

Quote:

Just a gentle prompt, but I think this is getting off track. Last I checked, this is the Aikido forum.

So, would someone like to contribute a story about their aikido teacher?

Eyrie, both of the first two stories ARE about aikido teachers: Keith Moore (of Aikido Shinjinkai) and Fumio Toyoda (Aikido Association of America).
Posted by: gojuwarrior

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 12/04/05 02:42 PM

really not much a story but just a praise

Proof of Point - Shihan Marty Manuel,my sensei.

An article entitled, “Certified but not Delivered, Part One and Two.” To prove my point, one must look at the facts, not fallacy. Point #1: Take a look at the Martial Arts Industry Association super show in Las Vegas coming up. This is a trade show for Martial Arts school owners. It will be held from April 30th to May 2nd. Three days. The conference has one of the most impressive list of Martial Artists from all over the world representing several different Martial Arts systems. In addition, they offer successful business classes that will increase enrollment and also help in every aspect of running a “Successful Martial Arts School.” All of this is great for those instructors who wish to attend and I am sure they will learn a great deal. My problem with the “Super Show” is that it is aiding the growing number of unqualified business Martial artists that are discrediting true Martial Arts. How this is happening is in the certification courses that are offered during the Super Show weekend. I have great respect for Mr. Frank Shamrock. I think he is one of the best fighters ever. He is the complete package. But no way do I feel that if I took Mr. Shamrock’s Submission Fighting Certification seminar for three hours and paid $499 that I should be certified in his fighting systems. Yes, I have 34 years of experience in Martial Arts. I would love to train with Mr. Frank Shamrock because I know I would benefit greatly from this outstanding fighter, but to come back to my school, have my picture with Mr. Shamrock on the wall next to a certificate would really be misleading my students, and more importantly, discrediting Mr. Shamrock as well as myself. This is just one example of the many certification courses that will be held during the weekend Super Show. There are 12 different Martial Arts certifications during the weekend Super Show. Case in point – learn as much as you can. The weekend Super Show is a great opportunity to train with some of the best, but do not lie to yourself and everyone else because you PAID $500 to be certified.
I had the honor of training at Shihan Marty Manual’s Do-Jo in Vineland, New Jersey. He is without a doubt one of the most knowledgeable Martial Artists I have ever met. A former top-rated fighter stricken with a rare disease that left him paralyzed, Shihan Manuel teaches from a wheelchair, and a more dedicated Martial Artist you will not find. He is from the old school and his school reflects that there is no hidden agenda. You are there to learn and work. You will do as he says or you will be told to leave. He is a Master of the Martial Arts personified. His black belts are some of the best I have ever seen in all my years of training and teaching. Their dedication and loyalty to their instructor and art, as well as their school, is beyond compare. Shihan Manuel is what Martial Arts is all about. He does not know how to run a business. If you go to his Do-jo you will not have to make an appointment, you will not be met with a super-salesman, you will not see that he is certified in every cool-named martial art. What you will see is REAL Martial Arts presented in a simple way – the RIGHT way.

Thank you, Shihan Manuel for preserving the tradition of the true value of Martial Arts. You are Certified and have Delivered. More than anyone else. It is an honor and privilege to call you my friend and you will always be my mentor.

just some inspiring words about my master
Posted by: Prometej

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 12/05/05 02:05 PM

This isn`t about my teacher but some other aikidoka.Funny storie.

One day he had an arguement with a taxi driver while he was driving him. The taxi driver pulled over and got out of the car trying to start a fight. Aikidoka got out too trying to calm him. When the taxi driver moved toward the aikidoka raised his hand in front of him like in dojo when practising techniques and taxi driver just stood in place confused:
- Hey , what are you doing?!
He took another step toward aikidoka and he again raised his hand.
- Put that hand down! Are we going to have a fight or what?
Everytime this one would try to attack the other one would put his hand.
In the end it resolved peacefuly. Funny thing to do but it stopped a fight.
Posted by: pickles

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 12/10/05 11:25 AM

Hey all,I just signed up and tought I would share a story although it isn't a confrontational story but inspireing none the less.We have 2 senseis at our club.One for the beinners and one for the advanced.The one who teaches the advanced class under went open heart surgery 2 months ago and this last thursday night came back and instucted(on a limited basis)the class.I was impressed and inspired.
Posted by: Mike_L

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 12/10/05 03:30 PM

See my quote, that came from my instructor! He is a very wise person. And I respect him greatly.
Posted by: stevehooper

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 12/28/05 01:22 AM

Love this quote!! I need all the wisdom I can get. Thanks.

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 02/23/06 03:56 PM

Here's a great quote from Masaji Saito Sensei in response to the question, "What's a great technique for defense against a knife?"

He says, "Step back, pivot...and run away quickly."

You gotta love that one.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 02/27/06 09:26 PM

Madmusashi,
Fumio Toyoda was a good friend of mine, and we all enjoyed his humor and joking around at his seminars. He had one particular black belt out of the Raleigh-Durham area that he literally gave hell every time he showed up at a seminar, and he would have everybody in the seminar just completely wear this guy out, and when he could barely move, he would call him out to demonstrate techniques.

He weighed about a third of what Toyoda weighed, and Toyoda Sensei would slam him like a rag doll all over the place and then give us that big laugh... "You need practice" he would tell him, and just keep on slamming him all over the place.

You could see the "outsiders" oooing and aaahing at how much punishment he was handing out to this guy, but he would bounce right up and come right back, and Toyoda just loved him to death. He would tell me later that he wanted him to beg off... just one time, and he would give him a break, but it never happened as long as I can remember.

At the "after seminar" dinners, he would just keep it up to him "You need practice", he would say, and slide a beer at him.

Anybody that knew Toyoda really misses him, and it was a tragedy that we lost such a great sensei and such a comedian all at one time. He had the best sense of humor of any sensei I have met in my 40+ years in martial arts, and I think a lot about him even today. He was a great friend to have, and I only regret not having been able to spend more time with him.

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 02/28/06 07:21 PM

Quote:

Madmusashi,

Anybody that knew Toyoda really misses him, and it was a tragedy that we lost such a great sensei and such a comedian all at one time. He had the best sense of humor of any sensei I have met in my 40+ years in martial arts, and I think a lot about him even today. He was a great friend to have, and I only regret not having been able to spend more time with him.

Yes, I was lucky to train with him for as long as I did (1998 - 2001). Sadly, he passed three weeks after I moved to L.A. and I couldn't afford the ticket back for his funeral.

He truly was a giant amongst men.
Posted by: quinn_hamblin

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 04/20/06 11:52 AM

Sugano Shihan, the chappie who brought aikido to Australia was in a motorcycle(I think)crash a little over two years ago. In the crash, he lost a foot, and had to be amputated above the ankle. Anyway, 3 WEEKS after he has the prosthetic on, he is back on the mat, teaching and rolling with everyone! This was at one of our big summer schools in Sydney, and the guy was back to practice less than one month after a prosthesis was attached...bloody amazing...

On that note, my friend Dinah was there, and during a demonstration he was giving, he (not surprisingly) stumbled and had to regain his balance. And our Dinah, mistress of sympathy let out a snort of laughter in this silent, huge dojo. Apparently everyone stolidly ignored her, and I suppose we'll never know if she is now thought to be the ice-queen of the south in over 200 peoples minds.

Also, Tony sensei, a mid-rank dan from Tasmania, when congratulating the states newest shodan on his grading said eloquently "And on behalf of the deloraine aikido committee, I would like to commend ummm.. this chap over here on his excellent performance in his shodan grading"
Kevin was fuming for weeks after.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? - 04/21/06 06:49 PM

Quinn,
I had a friend who trained with a judoka who lost a leg and continued doing judo competetively for many years. He would "grip up" and immediately go to the mat, and was a handful after you started ne-waza with him.

One of the competitors he played against was asked by a local television station that was covering one of the tournaments, "How do you feel competing against a one-legged opponent?" "Oh, I don't mind him having the advantage but I don't have the guts to get one of mine taken off..."