Shinjinkai Aikido??

Posted by: bushi541

Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 06/22/05 03:42 PM

Hey every one just wanted to know what Shinjinkai Aikido really is all about. I checked out there website www.shinjinkai.org, and they seem like a really serious school. I was just wondering if any one can give me some input about them.

Thanks
Posted by: modernwarrior

Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 06/22/05 06:41 PM

yea their in chicago i want to go their to they seem pretty cool and a legit school.

Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 06/24/05 12:51 PM

it seems they're not really known, this maybe out of topic but do you know anything about Degerberg Blend??
Posted by: madmusashi

Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 07/14/05 01:55 PM

I had the amazing opportunity of training under both Toyoda Sensei and Moore Sensei from 1998 - 2001. Shinjinkai is definitely serious and they train in a more combat-oriented aikido style (real applications) combined with Zen meditation and misogi. If you have a chance to train there, it is one of the best schools in America, hands down.

Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 07/14/05 02:43 PM

That's great to here, my brother lives in Chicago and he checked out thier intro class. He's taken a number of martial arts in the Philippines mainly Muay Thai, Escrima, and Karate. When he took the Intro class he was amazed by the richness and depth that Sensei Moore expplained, He just said that it was great. I'll defenitely train there when I get back to Chicago.

Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 07/15/05 01:23 AM

Hey Mad Musasho I was just wondering how a normal class begins in the SHinjinkai and how Moore Sensei aproach attacks like a jab, kicks, and grabs. I mean whats makes his teaching style so realistic, so combat oriented, and so dynamic??

Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 07/15/05 12:56 PM

Moore also teaches for a company called Tactical Applications. They instruct the U.S. military in counter-terrorism, modern weapons and hand-to-hand combat. He's been doing that for over ten years.

If you read some of Moore's writings on the Shinjinkai website, you'll get a little feel of how his work is combat oriented. Toyoda Sensei's emphasis was always focused on adapting the technique for real world applications. Moore has taken that a step further with his Tactical Applications courses.

In the years I was able to train with him, he taught how to deal with sucker punches, low kickers, ground fighters, boxers, you name it. He can handle all of that stuff and more. His aikido style is adapted for this.

I personally observed a class with Toyoda Sensei (about two months before he passed away, unfortunately) wherein he scolded a student for relying too much on his eyes. "Why are you looking at his hands? Don't focus on any of that stuff! You don't need it!" Then he called a brown belt up and bellowed, "Any attack!"

Toyoda continued to face the class and speak to us as the brown belt threw a punch. He redirected it and lightly "smacked" the attacker on the cheek. The brown belt kicked, and Toyoda caught it, again without having to look. He kept talking to us and the brown belt kept attacking. Each time, it would be redirected or trapped, and Toyoda would "smack" the guy's cheek. This happened for about a minute and a half. He never looked at the guy. Then he turned, they bowed, and he again bellowed, "Stop looking at the hands!" Then he laughed and broke the tension and we resumed training.

Trust me, Moore is the real deal. His style is very similar.

Also, I have neglected to mention the other Sensei there, David Miller. Not only is he an authentic lineage holder in a legitimate Zen tradition, he's a weapons-master and the only human being that I've seen who can actually stop you dead in your tracks with his kiai. Again, this sounds far-fetched but I have been the recipient of it in the dojo.

My friend Jerry faced Miller with a jo. When he thrusted, Miller sidestepped it and brought his jo in a tight circle onto the oncoming stick. He simultaneously let out a growl that sounded something like "yeeeee-it!" Jerry's face went pale and he dropped his jo. I couldn't help it and started giggling at Jerry. I jokingly whispered, "You p****." {edited by modertor for language} Miller heard me and called me over.

"What's the attack?" I asked, and Miller told me to perform a munetsuke to the chest. I thrust the jo. He sidestepped and appeared to merely flick his wrist over in a one or tow inch circle. The next thing I knew, it felt as if a ton of bricks had landed on my staff. At the same instant, I heard his "yeeee-it!", only this time it was aimed at ME. I honestly can't explain the feeling of absolute TERROR that swept through my body. My face went pale and I couldn't move. And then Miller (lightly) brought his staff down onto the crown of my head. He smiled and I felt like an ass.

God, I miss training with those guys. They are the best in Illinois. When they throw you, it feels as if you blank out for a second and then hit the earth like you fell from a tall building. But you're not hurt.

And if you live anywhere near New York, Marc Pandolfi, another direct student of Toyoda's, teaches there and he's up there with Moore and Miller.

Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 07/15/05 12:59 PM

Quote:

That's great to here, my brother lives in Chicago and he checked out thier intro class. He's taken a number of martial arts in the Philippines mainly Muay Thai, Escrima, and Karate. When he took the Intro class he was amazed by the richness and depth that Sensei Moore expplained, He just said that it was great. I'll defenitely train there when I get back to Chicago.

Moore is a fascinating instructor. He'll hang with you after class and have a beer. He's very quiet and soft-spoken but can amaze you with his breadth of knowledge. He truly is a modern warrior and a formidable instructor.

Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 07/18/05 11:37 AM

That's great i've finally gotten some one to tell me a little about Moore Sensei. If you have any more stories to tell us about your training that will be great!! I enjoy reading such stories. Tell me MadMusashi where do you live now and are you still practicing Aikido??

Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 07/18/05 05:24 PM

I live in Los Angeles and am training at the L.A. Aikikai (although there was a four-year gap in-between training that was a pain in the butt). It's a very good school, but very different from the training I am used to.

Here's one of my favorite stories about Sensei Moore that was related to me by my former roommate, who was out having a drink with him at an Irish pub. Apparently some big drunken jerk approached her and began to hit on her. Despite the fact that she told him she wasn't interested, the big guy wouldn't leave her alone. In desperation, she said, "I'm here with my boyfriend." She pointed over at Keith.

"What's THAT @$$*^#@&^ gonna do about it?" the guy bellowed.

Keith merely smiled, shrugged, and raised his beer. This unsettled the guy so much that he walked away.

Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 07/18/05 05:46 PM

Wow!!!! That says alot about Moore Sensei that's pretty cool and different. You almost hear stories abouth the master beating up the guy or the master almost killing the guy and breaking him in half. This is different though a story about a master who doesn't fight just simply intimidates the guy acting like Steve Mcqueen and just doing his stuff all cool. That's a great story this truly is a testament at how good Moore Sensei really is.

Madmusahi so Moore Sensei sounds like he's a really out going man. Going to pubs having a drink with students after class. Does he ever intimidate anyone especially the new students or is he like Toyoda sensei, big laugh and warm smile?? I'm glad I'm getting info cause this is just great stuff this makes me wana train more in the Shinjinkai once I go to Chicago for college.

Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 07/20/05 12:09 AM

He's only intimidating in the sense that he's so accomplished at aikido. He's very intense (as you can see if you look him up on google pic searches) but he also smiles. He's never lorded it over anyone that I've ever seen and is a very patient instructor. I imagine as an uchideshi you might have a different view, though (I recommend reading his articles on the Shinjinkai website so you can get a feel for what it might be like).

You are lucky to get to train in Chicago. There are many great aikido dojos in the area. Andy Sato's Kiku Matsu Dojo (http://www.aikidoworldalliance.com/) is also really a good choice. He was my other Sensei at the AAA before Toyoda passed away. I have seen some video of his dan tests and he's no one to laugh at. He may always look like he's smiling, but he's a damned imposing teacher. His ki is awesome.

Check them both out and let me know what you think!

Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 07/20/05 09:42 AM

There are alot of high quality martial arts schools in Chicago. Aikido World Alliance looks great and it seems that Sato Sensei has carried on the Seminar side of things. While Moore Sensei is more into looking at the tradiotional arts and exploring the different martial arts to get a broader concept of things.Never the less the Aikido World Alliance looks like a top notch school. I'll have to check both the Shinjinkai and Aikido Worls Alliance out when I visit chicago before school starts.
So Madmusashi how come so many of Toyoda Shihan's students formed thier own organizations and schools. I mean what happened to the AAA and AAI I know they're still teaching but why did it fragment??? Also is Sato Sensei in good standing with Moore Sensei and the rest of Toyoda Shihan's students who've created thier own organizations??

Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 07/21/05 08:51 PM

Unfortunately, I relocated to L.A. two weeks before Toyoda Sensei passed, so I don't know the ins and outs of the splits, and I don't want to speculate or talk about something that I don't really know about. It would be unfair to everyone in the three organizations if I were to do so, and I remain quiet.

All I can say is, the instructors we've been talking about here are all amazing, and are a natural reflection of Toyoda Sensei's teachings. It's true when they say that you don't know what you've got til it's gone; there isn't a day that goes by that I don't reflect on the training and teachings that I received in Chicago and thank God that I was able to meet and train with people of such high caliber.

Good luck in your training, and let me know who you decide upon!

Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? - 07/25/05 10:11 PM

I'm very sorry it has taken me a while to answer you back. I just came back from Chicago and I checked out The Shinjinkai there. It was a great experience and I really enjoyed watching the class and I was amazed by the power and instruction of Moore Sensei. It was really great and I was impressed and thrilled. I also had a chance to watch the Iaido class and that also sparked a light of interest and I was so impressed with the intensity they put. So i said to my self this school is definnetely for me. Thank you so much for all your help madmusashi with out you I would have not even bothered looking into the Shinjinkai. You've been a great help and I can't wait to stary training after I graduate Highschool. I have a year left and I'm out hopefully get accepted in Loyola or Depaul. Again thank you.