Daito-Ryu so hard to find

Posted by: modernwarrior

Daito-Ryu so hard to find - 05/31/05 09:43 PM

Yea i cant find a single Daito-ryu teacher in Illinois not one plenty of aikido but no Daito-Ryu. Even Yamate Ryu but im not to sure if thats what its called. why is Daito-Ryu so hard to come by? Is it just the area i live in?
Posted by: WarriorOfLuv

Re: Daito-Ryu so hard to find - 06/01/05 12:23 AM

there is an article on www.koryu.com that makes the claim that it is preferable to learn a classical martial art to exhaustion at the country in which the art first developed. I don't think the heads of each Daito-Ryu-affiliated organization desires for the art to be esoteric; it is just that it is difficult for people to commit to a lifetime study and instruction of Daito-Ryu. Although it is rare, I am sure there will be at least one person who can teach Daito-Ryu. I thought it would be impossible for me to find an instructor in Toronto, but gladly I found one. Tomorrow 's my first class!

God bless,

WOL
Posted by: miyamoto

Re: Daito-Ryu so hard to find - 06/01/05 05:01 AM

Quote:

Yea i cant find a single Daito-ryu teacher in Illinois not one plenty of aikido but no Daito-Ryu. Even Yamate Ryu but im not to sure if thats what its called. why is Daito-Ryu so hard to come by? Is it just the area i live in?

Yes indeed. It is very hard to find even one Daito Ryu school in localities. Maybe for the reason that, other martial arts enthusiast have their own likes and interest of what MA they want to learn. Many of whom are not interested spending even half of their lifetime just to study this beautiful and traditional discipline the DTR. Some tend to choose the much easier way to posses high ranks than what is really "just" for them, some wanted to become popular by competition and test their skills and become teachers themselves, which you can't easily find and posses in Daito Ryu schools unless you give what it takes to be a Budoka. DTR also is less appealing to people nowadays when they saw you practicing in "Idori"(in seiza) techniques...and also with Ono Ha Ittoryu(kenjutsu).But for those who have the heart for this discipline It does not matter.

In our country for example, there is only one DTR school that I know...It is under the supervision of a DTR school in Ontario.And is recognized by our government with exclusive rights to use the name of DTR(of course in particular of the organization we belong).

As we started back in 1999, we have so many students coming from different disciplines and others also who have no martial arts background at all. As years passed by, we found out from the remaining students that we have right now , they were those people who don't have any martial arts background at all...those with MA backgrounds didn't last because of what they call "slow" progress in their ranks...some didn't even finished the Oku Iri stages.

For these reason, I think this will answer a few of your reservations...
Posted by: original_tai_chi

Re: Daito-Ryu so hard to find - 06/04/05 11:47 PM

I live in toronto, ontario. I want to learn Daito-Ryu, too. It's hard to find a instructor in toronto. Can you tell me where do you train? The address? website? Thank you very much.
Posted by: Gary Gabelhouse

Re: Daito-Ryu so hard to find - 06/08/05 05:19 PM

Hello,

I have been training Daitoryu Aikijujutsu since 1994 under Kenkichi Ohgami-Sensei in Nishinomiya (a senior student of Takuma Hisa). I live in Lincoln, Nebraska (middle of the USA) and teach Daitoryu three times a week at the Sho-Rei-Shobu-Kan Dojo. Just logging in our pressence. If ever you are in the area, stop in and train with us!

Also, upon publishing of the English translation of Ohgami-Sensei's book, "In Pursuit of Dreams: My Daitoryu Aikijujutsu" we plan a multi-city seminar tour. The book is scheduled to come out Fall 2005.

Best Regards,
Gary Gabelhouse
Posted by: miyamoto

Re: Daito-Ryu so hard to find - 06/09/05 03:25 AM

Quote:

I live in toronto, ontario. I want to learn Daito-Ryu, too. It's hard to find a instructor in toronto. Can you tell me where do you train? The address? website? Thank you very much.

sorry for the delay of my reply....

I have here the address St.Catharines Thorold, Ontario Canada,L2V 5B3 look for Ms. Donna Murphy del Cueto,or Shihan Guillermo Murphy del Cueto, Randy Thiessen, Zain Dinath at Fuji Yama Dojo. or visit their website www.niagara.com/~zain

TY
Posted by: Amos Smith

Re: Daito-Ryu so hard to find - 06/12/05 08:22 PM

Quote:

You kill me.

Stop being so picky. Go join an Aiki school of some kind and get to work. Aikido, if you like, Yamate-ryu if you manage to get accepted as a student. Even Kempo will get you started on the basic movements of Daito-ryu. I studied with several instructors in several different arts (since 1977) before finding the one I would dedicate my time to learning from. I would focus more on finding the right instructor, rather than the right art. Maybe you will find the right instructor for you the first time out, maybe not...but you have no chance if you never start at all. Anything other than sitting at your keyboard will be a step in the right direction.

Worst case scenario, there is a Daito-ryu group in downstate Illinois, so get ready to travel. I'd look at the local universities for some study groups first. The downside there, is that they tend to be rather transient as the students come and go.

Lastly, consider this...I know there is bad press about Yamate-ryu on the web...and you can trust everything you read on the web...right? Go see it for yourself. Getting information about a group from the Internet is just being lazy IMO.

Amos
Posted by: mateo

Re: Daito-Ryu so hard to find - 06/24/05 09:30 PM

Check out thread #15750400 on "Daito Ryu in Toronto" for information on Joe Wilson's group, active in Toronto and St. Catharine's.

They may not be licensed by the government (then again, martial arts schools don't really do this to my knowledge in Ontario) but Joe's lineage through Okabayashi Shogen-sensei (one time senior instructor for the Takumakai and direct student of Hisa Takuma and Takeda Tokimune )is clear and verifiable.

Though I trained for a time in Daito-ryu in Japan myself I am unfamiliar with "Fujiyama"'s connection to any of the major lines of Daito-ryu.

Perhaps someone could explain the history of this school?
Posted by: Eric4444

Re: Daito-Ryu so hard to find - 08/28/05 04:11 PM

Does anyone know of any Daito-Ryu schools in the Tampa, Florida area?
Posted by: MikeC

Re: Daito-Ryu so hard to find - 09/30/05 09:10 AM

Hello Everyone

I am new to the forum

I trained with Guillermo Murphy del Cueto in St Catherines. In answer to why you can't find Daito Ryu teachers is that teaching licences from the Daito Ryu organizations are hard to come by. Most of them still use the Menkyo Kaiden licensing system, I served as a Senior Student at my Dojo but I was not a teacher of Daito Ryu.

My former teacher spent 12 years of his life in Japan to receive his licence to teach. The Daito Ryu is very particular about who they admit into there Dojo and certainly to be a teacher. Outside of Japan as Meiko Skoss has pointed out there are few licensed Teachers of Koryu systems, probably less than 50(?). There are many who have some experience like me (I do not teach it any more because I am no longer practicing Daito Ryu) and many who have done a few workshops and claim to be Daito Ryu teachers.
Posted by: serdelia

Re: Daito-Ryu so hard to find - 04/29/09 03:55 PM

It is really hard to find it. Does anyone know if there is someone in London?
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Daito-Ryu so hard to find - 04/30/09 09:26 AM

No one in London, but there is a guy not too far from Hastings as I recall.

http://www.daito-ryu.co.uk/index.php?f=data_contact&a=0
Posted by: Ames

Re: Daito-Ryu so hard to find - 04/30/09 03:37 PM

I believe there is Hakuho Ryu (technically an offshoot of DR, but you still do the waza and a very legit organization) around the London area:

http://www.hakuho.co.uk/hakuho-uk-dojos.htm

Good luck,
--Chris