what is aikido

Posted by: kyokushinkai

what is aikido - 05/28/05 10:30 AM

is aikido basically ground technique or am I completley wrong?
Posted by: butterfly

Re: what is aikido - 05/28/05 01:35 PM

Kyoku,

You are completely wrong. Go ahead and google it.
The answers are on the web.

-B
Posted by: Martin

Re: what is aikido - 05/30/05 09:38 PM

butterfly has it right, you could not be more wrong. it is all about staying on your feet, and putting your assailant at your feet.
Posted by: katana

Re: what is aikido - 01/16/10 06:11 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido at very basic level locks,throws,submissions,
Posted by: paul40

Re: what is aikido - 01/23/10 08:11 AM

Many Aikido techniques involve the ground, The uke is either thrown to the ground or taken to the ground,If the technique involves being taken to the ground,there is no ground fighting.Going to the ground is part of a technique that started on your feet.There is no half guard or elbows.Your caught in auger basically and its pulls you to the ground into a submission.So it does involve ground work but not how your presenting it.

A single aikido technique can take several seconds to complete but, its all one fluid motion that begins with an eye twitch from your opponent and ends on the ground with a nerve pressure submission.

Simply put its like watching a python hunt a mouse.The mouse moves,the python sences the movement,he catches the mouse with his teeth,raps him up and swallows him head first.when he gets the head in his mouth,thats the ground part of aikido.

If a skilled aikido-ka gets you in his control,your screwed way before you go to the ground.

There is no fight.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: what is aikido - 01/23/10 08:32 AM

If your Aikido instructor does not teach you counters, he is missing something, and so are you.
Posted by: paul40

Re: what is aikido - 01/23/10 09:05 AM

With all due respect sir,what i said was a basic overview of the mechanics of the art,explained to obvious a non- practioner, in relation his uncetain assumption aikido is a ground art.

I took it from the eye twitch to the tap for that reason.

If i was discussing it with a fellow practioner i would have explained,how i began my counter at the same time you moved,deflected your hand,as i rolled out of the line of fire.basic irimi movement.i wouldnt block or hit your hand i would only deflect it.The intention is never to hit something and knock it off balance.from there a small but direct backfist to the face,just to stun once again i dont want you to move ,just freeze.from there cut down your arm from the shoulder to the wrist,i dont want to just grab at the wrist.the control begins at the shoulder.I grab your wrist pulling slightly downward to creat motion to your body from there i pull your hand twords your face,while the other hand follows,as your arm is lifted it opens the vital areas in the arm pit.i can either deliver an atemi waza or as this technique was intended for bushido,deliver a knife wound to the only area not protected by armor but<we dont kill people like that anymore, so now as your hand reaches the face i grab the elbow with my free hand and begin to turn (basic tenken movement) to the ground.As we reach the ground i lay you flat out on the gorund arms extended outward,pin my knee behind your shoulder blade.from there lift your arm and pin your little finger in my armpit and apply pressure by leaning my weight on your arm to create pressure on your shoulder and nerve structure.
of course if you had a weapon ,i would life your arm from the elbow pin you hand backside down and push on your elbow to create pressure to your wrist,causing you to open your hand and release the weapon.(gokyo)
the above technique is called ikkyo.first control hold of the 5 major ones.gokyo is the fifth which i blended into from ikkyo.

gokyo would only be nessassary in a knife attack if i began shiho nagi and something didnt feel right so instead of forcing it i just switched techniques.

Every Aikido technique begins with a counter.not block and strike but,block before it becomes a strike and break the spirit.

I m not saying i didnt miss anything along way but, I didnt miss everything.:)