Are Aikido and Daito-Ryu mutuallly exclusive?

Posted by: WarriorOfLuv

Are Aikido and Daito-Ryu mutuallly exclusive? - 05/26/05 12:45 AM

Hi, I am a new poster here and am curious about the technical differences of Aikido and Daito-Ryu. The reason why I want to know is because Daito-Ryu practitioners have told me that there are fundamental technical differences between the two. One instructor in Daito-Ryu told, for instance, that seasoned aikidokas find it difficult to adapt to the movements that Daito-Ryu waza requires them to make. I am blessed, considering that I am not at all a seasoned aikidoka. But now I face a fork in the road; see, I want to continue training in Aikido (I still want to make this my primary art) but also--and not necessarily supplement it with--aikijujutsu (I now have the opportunity to with a qualified instructor). But having talked to different people about it, I don't know whether taking aikijujutsu is a worthwhile investment of my time and money.

So in short, will training in Daito-Ryu spoil up my Aikido? And vice versa? Are aikijujutsu and aikido mutually exclusive? Would it be ill-advised to train in both simultaneously?

Thank you for your thoughts.

God bless,

WOL
Posted by: charlie

Re: Are Aikido and Daito-Ryu mutuallly exclusive? - 05/27/05 09:26 AM

Go for it, I am sure that your aikido training will put you in good stead for aiki jujutsu. My teacher first came from a full contact jujutsu back ground and got to a very high level- he also went on to study aikido with many sensei's around the world and again reached a high level- then he went on to do an indepth study of pressure point (kyusho Jutsu) work. he now teaches a mix of aikido, aikijujutsu, and kyusho jutsu.

we study both classical aikido with nice movement and aiki jujutsu and pressure points within technique which is very direct and effective.

I think it would be a good thing for you to train in aiki jujutsu too- the founder of aikido, ueshiba sensei did too- so why not.

best wishes, Charlie.
www.lonepineryu.co.uk
Posted by: WarriorOfLuv

Re: Are Aikido and Daito-Ryu mutuallly exclusive? - 05/28/05 05:35 PM

Thanks for the response. I've decided to try it out this week . I don't know is Sensei Kondo is aikido-minded, but he says that there are no differences between aikido and Daito-Ryu, even in the tehcnical aspect. So very excited.