Announcing New Moderators for the Aikido Forum

Posted by: MrVigerous

Announcing New Moderators for the Aikido Forum - 05/14/05 06:50 AM

Dear All

Please be aware that Eyrie and KidoHae have been appointed to moderate this forum. I'm sure they will introduce themselves in short order and add to your experience on this part of the resource.

Regds
Mr V
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Announcing New Moderators for the Aikido Forum - 05/14/05 09:00 AM

Congrats and well deserved for both of them. They will make excellent mods.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Announcing New Moderators for the Aikido Forum - 05/14/05 09:47 AM

Thanks....er... I think?

For those who don't know me, I have been doing aikido for 15 years. I have also done some taiji, koryu uchinadi, arnis, TKD, and I am currently studying jujitsu. I also have an interest in Zen and TCM.

Although I have spent close to 18 years in the MA, I don't profess to know everything, in fact, the more I learn, the more I know I don't know.

However, being a moderator is not about what I think I know or don't know about aikido - it is quite a different skillset, one that I am still learning - and I hope I will be up to the task. I trust I will be fair and balanced, and moderate to the best of my abilities.

I am also honoured to share this task with KiDoHae, whose tempered perspective I deeply respect. I have no doubt, he will also introduce himself shortly.

Thank you one and all. I look forward to some lively discussions!

Ignatius
Posted by: KiDoHae

Re: Announcing New Moderators for the Aikido Forum - 05/14/05 07:55 PM

Howdy folks,

As Eyrie mentioned, it looks as though I am the third wheel on the aikido forum wagon. I read the aikido posts daily and am well aware of the quality of thought displayed here. The nature of the discussions that take place here amongst you all is a reflection of the true nature of aikido itself.

As interlopers who enter this forum in order to cause it's regulars heart burn is rare, it looks as though eyrie and I have been appointed to be more of your friendly "School Crossing Guards" and not as S.W.A.T team members.

Thanks to eyrie and MattJ for the kind words.

Although the selection as a moderator has to with the administration of the forum, it is probably worth mentioning that I too am a student of the "aiki arts". I have studied hapkido, aikido and judo. That being said I humbly bow to each of you and continue to look forward to your "lessons" on the aikido forum.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Announcing New Moderators for the Aikido Forum - 05/27/05 11:18 AM

Congrats on the appointments. It seems that the Aikido crowd are a less...contentious...lot. I find myself drawn to the art, and hope that it will pick up here (so I don't have to go to Aikiweb for my fix).
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Announcing New Moderators for the Aikido Forum - 08/27/05 09:37 AM

I am new to these boards and unfamiliar with where old topics are stored. Has anyone been discussing styles of teaching aikido?

I spend the first six years of my aikido practice in a school that drilled the basic techniques that are used in testing. I mean DRILLED until the moves were second nature, motor memory mushin reactions.

The last five years have been at a school that demonstrates and practices endless variations, sort of specialized follow-the-leader. The "basics" only appear at testing time.

Personally I prefer the first as being a much more instinctive response to a threat.
Posted by: Immortal_Highlander

Congratulations - 11/27/05 04:07 PM

I have refrainded from posting here for quite some time. In the past I have found my opinionated postings to be ill received. In short, I am glad that you both have been appointed as moderators. I have the utmost faith in your fairness and prudence. I hope that my experience and knowlege can complement your wisdom. Good luck in your new endeavor. - S