Combination.

Posted by: dynacker

Combination. - 05/11/05 10:26 AM

Right now i do Hapkido (and quite loving it), I do the odd Brazilian Jiu Jitsu every so often however my question is, would Aikidio fit into these styles. I'm quite fascinated at some of the locks/throws produced in aikido aimed not to harm.
Posted by: Joe Jutsu

Re: Combination. - 05/16/05 01:16 PM

You should give it a go. Go watch a class, if it looks intriguing try an intro class. Most dojo's have them, and they are relatively inexpensive, giving you an oportunity to feel what's going on.

Regards,

Joe
Posted by: KiDoHae

Re: Combination. - 05/17/05 01:27 PM

Hi Dynacker,

IMHO, I would encourage you to take aikido. I am a hapkido practitioner also and did aikido before my hapkido practice. I have the opportunity to practice aikido at a near by not-for-profit dojo who welcomes "occassional" students. Although there are many of the same or similar techniques/movements in hapkido the way they are executed, typically, are not as fluid as the aikido technique. For me, taking the occassional aikido class "smooths" out the same hapkido technique and adds a different dynamic to the whole thing. The size (big v. small) of the circles in executing the techniques accounts for much of the difference but there is more to it than that. I guess you'd have to take some classes to understand what I'm trying to say as it involves the " feel " of it and that is almost impossible to convery here.

Give it a try. I think you'll be glad you did