YONKI JO PRESSURE POINT???

Posted by: Ninjasaurus

YONKI JO PRESSURE POINT??? - 05/05/05 10:11 PM

ok i know there are like 4 basic controls and i think yonki jo is the 4th where you use a pressure point on the under arm, im not sure, i have troubles getting this one to work the most, and it often is more of me pressing their muscle into their bone than actually hitting the nerves i think,

So is there really nerves there and how is it that only on certain occasions i hit the nerve even tho i go for the same area everytime, and how can i ensure to get the nerves everytime against different opponents??? This seems like the least effective and i dont think i would ever try this in a real situation just because of its unreliabilty.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: YONKI JO PRESSURE POINT??? - 05/05/05 10:27 PM

There's actually 5 basic and 5 advanced controls. There's a whole lot more in the entire osae komi waza syllabus, which are more or less variations on the same principles.

This topic was already dealt with in the pressure point forum, but I can't seem to find it. Ah well...

It's not actually a pressure point. It's somewhere on the radial nerve between LU6 and 7. In fact, if you understand the principle, yonkyo/yonkajo can be applied anywhere on an appendage.

Having said that. It's not a pressure point technique as such anyhow. If you don't get the te kubi shime and kuzushi right to begin with, forget about the point, coz you'll miss it - the point, that is - no pun intended.

All can say is more practice.
Posted by: Joe Jutsu

Re: YONKI JO PRESSURE POINT??? - 05/06/05 02:28 PM

I would say the answer to the question is practice more as well. I've gotten alot better at yonkyo over the years, and have finally realised that it can be applied without pain compliance making it work. But propper body alignment and unbalancing of your partner is a necessity. Watching a kempo demo about a year ago, I realised that there is a really cool yonkyo on the inside of the calf, not too far above the ankle. Good for bringing someone down to size if you are already on the ground.

Joe