What is the worst injury taken in Aikido practice?

Posted by: Ninjasaurus

What is the worst injury taken in Aikido practice? - 05/04/05 05:56 AM

I was just curious as to how dangerous it can get in class. The worst I've had is a sore wrist that literally lasted for 2 years(the guy that did it to me is sensei kevin blok) when he was showing my partner a wrist lock. The worst i've seen happen to someone else is a sprained back and a really bad toe stub.
Posted by: AikiGhost

Re: What is the worst injury taken in Aikido pract - 05/04/05 09:58 AM

Ive seen somone get a torn ligament in their foot when somebody got thrown on it at crowded seminar, also I saw a beginner fall over badly and smash their nose flat during a badly executed ukemi from kaitenage.
Posted by: yam123

Re: What is the worst injury taken in Aikido pract - 05/04/05 12:42 PM

I have gotten wrist injuries. Currently have one that I got about a year ago during a test from a good shihonage. I think the worst injury we have had in aikido is of course the deaths. I belive the count is up to around 3 or 4 since the end of WWII. O sensei himself injured people and even accidentally killed ukes. Ninjasaurus I feal for you Blok Sensei has very strong throws.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: What is the worst injury taken in Aikido pract - 05/04/05 12:52 PM

Quote:

I belive the count is up to around 3 or 4 since the end of WWII. O sensei himself injured people and even accidentally killed ukes.

Not that I'm being completely incredulous, but do you have any evidence for this? I would be very interested.
Posted by: yam123

Re: What is the worst injury taken in Aikido pract - 05/04/05 01:03 PM

I was mistaken it was 7 from 1972 to 1985. http://www.aikidojournal.com/images/articles/injuries.gif.
I apologize for my mistake.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: What is the worst injury taken in Aikido pract - 05/04/05 01:17 PM

(the link didn't work, but I found the file searching through the site)
Very interesting. Seems as though all of the deaths except one were caused by head trauma. I would still like to see any evidence that Ueshiba himself caused the death of other people.

It also seems that these people were doing large numbers of breakfalls, is this normal during an aikido class? I have no knowledge, so I am just curious.
Posted by: AkhilleusWeeps

Re: What is the worst injury taken in Aikido pract - 05/08/05 09:03 PM

http://gedanate.com/breakfall-safely.html

breakfalling is a big part of Aikido, whether we like it or not =]

though i my self have only been in the dojo a couple of months i have a small grasp of breakfalls and they are heavily rellied upon so as to avoid injury during throws with highly skilled sempai

i have to admit though that sometimes out of no where one can beautifuly do a breakfall and not realize what the crap just happend.
Posted by: Ninjasaurus

Re: What is the worst injury taken in Aikido pract - 05/09/05 12:07 AM

i can do breakfallz from atelast 10 feet in the air and im not lying itz lal about turning downward momentum in2 horizontal momentum and spreading the impact out across the entire body that can handle impact. lotz of timez we have the 7 ft guy in my class throw me as high as he can when we do demoz and even tho it lookz fun 4 him and the poeple watching im the 1 having ht emost fun cuz it feelz like u flying

i heard of people being killed on the streetz by shiho nage cuz their head slamz in2 the ground but idk wut is the worst taken in aikido practice
Posted by: KiDoHae

Re: What is the worst injury taken in Aikido pract - 05/09/05 04:27 PM

Quote:

i heard of people being killed on the streetz by shiho nage cuz their head slamz in2 the ground but idk wut is the worst taken in aikido practice

Huh??

Do you think you can get an objective answer to that question? If that is what you are looking for anyway.

Joint pain, hyper-extentions, neck and shoulder injuries (amongst others) are all rather common in the practice of various aiki arts. That is the nature of it.

No offense, but how old are you and how many months do you have in the dojo?
Posted by: csinca

Re: What is the worst injury taken in Aikido practice? - 05/09/05 04:40 PM

In aikido classes I've personally had a dislocated shoulder, knee and wrist (all separate occassions). The shoulder and knee were from my own sloppy ukemi, the wrist should have been avoided. I've also seen a broken toe and a broken wrist. This is in addition to countless bruises and sore joints.

In other MA classes I've had my nose broken twice, seen cracked ribs and again, bruises, cuts scrapes etc....

Chris
Posted by: Murgen

Re: What is the worst injury taken in Aikido practice? - 05/11/05 02:03 PM

Broken toe, partial torn off big toe nail, sprained wrists (obviously), sore back/hips (ukemi/breakfalls) and mildly sprained knees when the mat monster rose up and grabbed my feet while doing tenkan etc...
Posted by: Joe Jutsu

Re: What is the worst injury taken in Aikido practice? - 05/15/05 03:31 PM

I'm dealing with bruised ribs right now. I was doing a non-traditional pin (in our syllabus anyway), holding uke down with my side while arm-barring him while leading class. I didn't have it in tight, because I was showing a newbie how to do the pin. While I was explaing, the uke based up to his knees and came up into my ribs. Ouch! They still hurt a couple of weeks later, but I can at least do ukemi now (it hurts way worse when I sneeze than when I take a breakfall, go figure?) I broke my little toe in a demonstration, it got caught between tatami. That was a [censored], especially because I didn't want to look like a wimp jumping around the mat. So I pretended that it didn't happen, and proceeded to limp around for the next month and a half or so.

When studying for my nikyu test, I was working with a relatively new student on keri waza, which involves a higher level of ukemi than this student had. I didn't feel comfortable about throwing him, but one of our sensei's was right there and I was going slow. When I threw this poor guy, he came down on his collar bone, luckily didn't break it but he couldn't roll for months. Considering how big this guy is though, I think that he got very lucky that he didn't break it. That's the worst injury I've seen in the dojo, and I'm greatful for that.

Joe
Posted by: Xavier

Re: What is the worst injury taken in Aikido pract - 05/15/05 11:13 PM

i've only done aikido for like 2 weeks but ive only seen someone hurt there head on a fall, sorry thats all i got, and i think thats a good thing
Posted by: AkhilleusWeeps

Re: What is the worst injury taken in Aikido pract - 05/22/05 08:08 PM

Quote:

i've only done aikido for like 2 weeks but ive only seen someone hurt there head on a fall, sorry thats all i got, and i think thats a good thing

OOOKAY! Blow to the head and you apologize for that being the only accident you have to offer?! Yikes, I'd hate to see what you consider bad. ^_^

I'm wondering if the majority of injurys occur in larger dojos. Mine is pretty small and I'm incredibly lucky to have a Sensei that can focus on all of us, usually we have a class of 4-5 students along with assistant sensei, so he can quickly spot flaws in our techniques.

I've also heard that in larger dojos that sometimes, i'm guessing newer people, get together and don't really know what to do and they must rely solely on observations in order to do a technique. Anyone start off like that here?