Itto-ryu Question(s)

Posted by: Brently Keen

Itto-ryu Question(s) - 06/22/01 03:04 PM

I have a few historical questions about Itto-ryu, particularly regarding Sokaku Takeda and his teacher Toma Shibuya.

When did Sokaku receive his Ono-ha Itto-ryu teaching license (or approximately what year)?

Who was Toma Shibuya's teacher, and how (or where) does he fit into the Ono-ha Itto-ryu lineage?

Did Toma Shibuya have other known students who carried on his particular line of Itto-ryu (besides Sokaku-den)?

Are there any known surviving public records/documents or books that have information regarding Toma Shibuya sensei? Does he have any living descendants who might be able furnish some general historical information?

I realize that answers to these questions may not be known, by anyone on this board, but perhaps some students of Okabayashi sensei could inquire of him, as he might know more.

Any help with answers to these questions, or assistance pointing me in the right direction where I could research more about Sokaku's instructor(s) would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me privately if you wish.

I'm also seeking additional information on Jikishinkage-ryu (Sakakibara sensei), and Kyoshin Meichi-ryu (Shunzo Momonoi sensei).

Many Thanks,

BK

soulsamurai@hotmail.com