Couple of generic questions.....

Posted by: Anonymous

Couple of generic questions..... - 04/11/05 01:49 AM

I just recently started Aikido and as I was trying to sleep a minute ago a few questions poped up in my mind, and thus I am here =]

My first question is of ettiquet, I have watched my sempai and done as they do (on the mat) but I am still concerned with how my relationship once class is over (off the mat) should be with my sensei? Also, should I say "Thank you Sensei" every time he helps me? These first few days I've needed alot of help from him and I think I must have said it over 30 times (hehe) should I keep on in this manner or just bow?

Also, I have about enough time to practise 4 or more days a week, does skipping a day or three really put any single student behind? I'm still a college student so I think I'm viewing my Aikido training with a syllabus type of mentality am I correct in doing so?

If I sound totally newbish, it's because I am. Not trying to offend anyone and Thanks to anyone for replying!

Oh yea, and about how many hours of class, plus practising outside atleast one hour, does it take to atleast be semi proficient and be able to do as sensei instructs with out feeling awkward or messing up (I know this answer will vary, but just trying to get a picture)

Many thanks again.

Re: Couple of generic questions..... - 04/11/05 02:24 AM

Oh ya, and about holding on to your partner do you guys use a firm grip or loosen it up? I found my self worried from time to time that I was holding my partner too tight (at times I'm way too paranoid about hurting anyone, especially my female sempai partners no offense but I'd hate to think of causing any person of the opposite sex pain)

And is it okay to see your steps in the begening like dance steps?

sorry I ask way to many questions and am completely obssesd, ha!

Re: Couple of generic questions..... - 04/11/05 03:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AkhilleusWeeps:
My first question is of ettiquet, I have watched my sempai and done as they do (on the mat) but I am still concerned with how my relationship once class is over (off the mat) should be with my sensei? Also, should I say "Thank you Sensei" every time he helps me? These first few days I've needed alot of help from him and I think I must have said it over 30 times (hehe) should I keep on in this manner or just bow?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't get too hung up on ettiquette, just remain polite as you would to any person. A little bow now and then to acknowledge sensei's advice or instruction I would think is sufficient.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AkhilleusWeeps:
Also, I have about enough time to practise 4 or more days a week, does skipping a day or three really put any single student behind? I'm still a college student so I think I'm viewing my Aikido training with a syllabus type of mentality am I correct in doing so?[/QUOTE]

Just enjoy it. As O'sensei said, "Always practice the Art of Peace in a vibrant and joyful manner". Try and avoid becoming too regimented in your training, and go as often as you feel but I'd advise you to ensure you balance your training and college studies evenly. Even if you can't make a class you can always practice basic techniques like teknan, irimi tenkan etc at home in between your studying time.

Hope this helps!

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] Chanters

Re: Couple of generic questions..... - 04/11/05 10:21 AM

Indeed.
Mucho gracias
=]
Posted by: csinca

Re: Couple of generic questions..... - 04/11/05 12:29 PM

Etiquette is going to vary so in general look at how everyone else acts in your dojo, then remember that being too polite won't get you in trouble.

As for frequency, four days a week is fine and should allow you to have some life as well. If you miss time, so be it. Sometimes you'll come back haven fallen behind and sometimes you'll come back with a fresh mind and things will make even more sense.

My recommendation is don't focus on how many days or how long. If aikido is something you intend to do for a lifetime, or at least long term, these things really don't matter and only serve to distract you from the art.

As for holding on too tightly, that depends on the situation. In my opinion, there comes a time when you are going to have to crank it up and give it all you've got. Train with the women just as you do the men. Do you really think an attacker is going to worry about hurting anyone? Keep in mind that aikido is a martial art. at some point in your training you are going to feel pain (gasp) and maybe even get hurt! It happens.

Finally, yes, the footwork is a lot like dancing. Hmmm catchy title for a book. Check out "It's a lot like Dancing" by Terry Dobson

Chris

Re: Couple of generic questions..... - 04/11/05 12:51 PM

Thanks, I my self dont really mind getting hurt and spraining/breaking anything (ok, breaking a little, ha) The book looks really interesting and like it could help me out alot. I'll be sure to check it out as soon as I'm done with Dynamic Sphere. Also, in your opinion are videos and tools of that nature good for training/practising alone?

Thanks!
Posted by: csinca

Re: Couple of generic questions..... - 04/11/05 07:47 PM

I would not recommend books or videos for a new person to attempt to train solo. First you could simply misinterprete what is going on and end up developing bad habits. Or you may end up with a video of one style while trying to learn another.

For the first 6-12 months, your solo practice time is probably best spent stretching, practicing ukemi, and get a couple of basic footwork exercises from your sensei.

Chris