Training Programs

Posted by: Anonymous

Training Programs - 03/15/05 06:12 AM

Could someone who knows about Aikido please give me a training program with regards to the gym, skills and fitness. im in South Africa and researching on this fighting art.
Thank you.

Re: Training Programs - 03/19/05 06:05 PM

Move out of South Africa? Not kidding. I wouldn't associate Africa period with martial arts. Then again, I'm an ignorant American.

When you say training program, do you mean training your body or combat training?

- Op. Skinny Ninja

Re: Training Programs - 04/04/05 08:34 AM

i dont understand were your unwilling nature to help me out is coming from.All i can say for myself is that i am a student(Sport Science)and researching on martial arts.i meant training your body,the kind of workouts you would do and why you would use then.i would really appreciate your help in this topic.Thank you

Re: Training Programs - 04/04/05 08:40 AM

And since we are on this topic could you give me a training (body)program for 3 times a week, for 4 weeks.if you also want to explain why you dont want to help any Africans i would love to understand that part too.if you know any other styles of martial arts please help.
Thank you

Re: Training Programs - 04/04/05 10:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AyoMayo:
And since we are on this topic could you give me a training (body)program for 3 times a week, for 4 weeks.if you also want to explain why you dont want to help any Africans i would love to understand that part too.if you know any other styles of martial arts please help.
Thank you
[/QUOTE]

The fact that you happen to be African has nothing to do with the lack of replies to your thread. There's a possibility that some people don't know how to answer your question. Do you not have an instructor at a gym you can go and see?

I can't give you a training programme but I do go to the gym regularly to assist in my aikido training for a number of reasons:

1. Increase fitness levels. I do this by doing cardiovascular workouts on the cross trainer and bike. you can also use a rowing machine etc. How this relates to my training is that It increases my energy levels and strength to keep up in my aikido classes.

2. To prevent injury. According to my instructors, working on the weights help to strengthen the body which helps to prevent injury. Only after a few months of practicing aikido I tore the ligaments and tendons in my left foot. I wish i could say I was doing some fantastic technique but I was just jogging back down the mat after being thrown and went over on my ankle. Since then, (touch wood) I haven't suffered any further serious injuries.

3. To increase the power in my hips. I train on the hip abductor and adductor machines which work the muscles around your hips. I also find working the abs improve the flick of the hips.

Overall I have found a mix of cardio and weightraining has improved my stamina amongst other things and therefore my performance during aikido training.

This is only my personal method and I suggest you seek professional advice.

I'd like to improve on my speed and I'll be speaking with my fitness advisor at the gym for some advice.

Good luck!

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]Chanters

Re: Training Programs - 04/05/05 04:48 AM

Thank you for the reply.(Chanters)your info really did help me.