What is the plural for Sensei?

Posted by: csinca

What is the plural for Sensei? - 02/16/05 09:28 AM

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

Chris
Posted by: senseilou

Re: What is the plural for Sensei? - 02/16/05 11:53 AM

Is this a trick question or what? What have you got up your sleeve? I know you better than this, there has to be something behind this

I think its Sensei, there is no plural like fish. One fish, many fish. According to my son, Sensei is aplied to doctors, lawyers and teachers, and they are all Sensei.

Plural for Sensei, how about 'many Sensei'.
Posted by: csinca

Re: What is the plural for Sensei? - 02/16/05 05:27 PM

No tricks this time!

At my aikido dojo we have two sensei; sometimes they are both on the mat and sometimes it's one or the other. So when I talk about things I've learned I'm never sure how to reference that there may have been two people on the mat that I would call sensei.

I'm gonna stick with one sensei, two sensei and leave it at that!

Chris
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: What is the plural for Sensei? - 02/16/05 05:56 PM

The previous posters are correct, the plural of sensei is sensei. The Japanese do not put an "s" at the end of anything to make a plural.
Sharon
Posted by: senseilou

Re: What is the plural for Sensei? - 02/17/05 12:45 AM

Chris....you can see the problem in my dojo. Someone says Sensei and all 3 heads pop up. My real little students called me "big" Sesnei and my son "little Sensei" but my son didn't like that much. So this is how I got my nickname SenseiLou. Our students call us Sensei or Shihan and add our name to it, so we all know the difference. I thought for sure you had something up your sleeve though.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What is the plural for Sensei? - 03/28/05 03:51 PM

The plural for sensei is sensei-tachi.

Usual form for addressing the sensei is Ueshiba Sensei (last-name, title), Shioda Sensei, etc.
Posted by: LastGURU

Re: What is the plural for Sensei? - 05/08/05 11:50 AM

I believe it would be Sensei-tachi. Although not widely used, I think it would be correct.
Posted by: baylin

Re: What is the plural for Sensei? - 05/09/05 05:53 AM

I dont know about sensei of equal rank but isn't the term O-Sensei used when referring to the senior person?
Posted by: LastGURU

Re: What is the plural for Sensei? - 05/09/05 02:43 PM

Quote:

I dont know about sensei of equal rank but isn't the term O-Sensei used when referring to the senior person?

O-Sensei is generally reserved for the one and the only, greatest Sensei of Aikido, Morihei Ueshiba. In other martial arts I suppose it would be appropriate