Am I too old to effectively learn Aikido

Posted by: Anonymous

Am I too old to effectively learn Aikido - 01/31/05 01:07 PM

I would like some ones opinion on whether I should pursue the study of Aikido. I am 22 years old and although I have done some martial arts(karate-DO,Kedo, Iatito) I have not done anything for a long period of time because I have not been motivated enough to do so. I find myself very motivated when I see Aikido demonstrations and the philosophy behind the decipline. What I would like to know quite frankly is, am I too old to become good and actually obtain something out of my training or am I too old to be able to master the art. Please any opinions will be most welcomed, thank you in advance for all your help.

Re: Am I too old to effectively learn Aikido - 01/31/05 02:04 PM

Sorry I meant I studied Kendo and Iaito spelling was off because I was not paying attention. Sorry.

Re: Am I too old to effectively learn Aikido - 01/31/05 02:56 PM

Consider George Leonard. He is a highly respected aikidoka, teacher and writer. He didn't begin the art until midlife. Considerably older than you. The more interesting question is are you young enough to let yourself be bad at it.

oldman

Re: Am I too old to effectively learn Aikido - 01/31/05 03:52 PM

Very nice oldman im in total agreement, no one is too old or too young for aikido, the only prerequisite for Aikido is come with an open mind, it transends all ages. Aikido will take a lifetime to 'master' no matter if the lifetime is 10 years or 100. you will always learn