First Aikido Lesson

Posted by: Anonymous

First Aikido Lesson - 01/29/05 07:39 PM

Seeing as this is my first post, i would just like to say hello to everyone here on the message boards and hope we can have some nice conversations in the future about this wonderful art called Aikido.

Yesterday was my very first (after viewing a lesson due to safety precautions)Aikido lesson. Needless to say it was amazing, even though i felt like a fish out of water for the majority of the lesson.

The training was demanding and high energy, yet extremely interesting and most importantly of all, fun. The instructors and other trainees in the dojo were all very helpful and friendly so i was able to begin training with little fear or anxiety.

The only problem is that i'm only able to train at the dojo once a week. Will this affect me in anyway? I'm prepared to train for a long time, and train hard at that, and i've already organised for one my friends (who does various styles of martial arts) to help me train Aikido in my spare time.

Other than that, i just needed to express my thoughts on this wonderful art, and if anyone could answer my queries thank you in advance.

Cheers
Dave
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: First Aikido Lesson - 01/30/05 09:49 PM

Hey good to see someone interested in taking on Aikido.

There was a story my sensei told me of a Student who was so very keen to study. Asking his teacher how long it would take to master the art if he trained two days a week the teacher replied 10 years, when asked about 4 times a week the teacher said 20 years, and when asked about 5 days a week the teacher replied 30 years....
I think that we all train in our respective arts as much as we can and whether that be 1 day a week or 5 days that we not forget about the journey, aikido i think is a lifetime journey its not easy but it is rewarding, as for is one day a week enough obviously for you at this time it is. Some weeks you may fnd yourself training more some weeks not at all, it is a matter of evertime you train putting in 100% and learning what you can. I believe Aikido is a Gift and for whatever time we have with it we should be thankful.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by davidoff:
Seeing as this is my first post, i would just like to say hello to everyone here on the message boards and hope we can have some nice conversations in the future about this wonderful art called Aikido.

Yesterday was my very first (after viewing a lesson due to safety precautions)Aikido lesson. Needless to say it was amazing, even though i felt like a fish out of water for the majority of the lesson.

The training was demanding and high energy, yet extremely interesting and most importantly of all, fun. The instructors and other trainees in the dojo were all very helpful and friendly so i was able to begin training with little fear or anxiety.

The only problem is that i'm only able to train at the dojo once a week. Will this affect me in anyway? I'm prepared to train for a long time, and train hard at that, and i've already organised for one my friends (who does various styles of martial arts) to help me train Aikido in my spare time.

Other than that, i just needed to express my thoughts on this wonderful art, and if anyone could answer my queries thank you in advance.

Cheers
Dave
[/QUOTE]
Posted by: csinca

Re: First Aikido Lesson - 02/01/05 09:58 PM

I'd agree with jarger... the people that come in talking about their commitment and excitment are usually only around for a couple of classes.

Aikido is something that you chose to do for the long haul, not something you will be good at in the near future. Take your time.

Unless your friend is studying aikido, you are likely to add confusion by working with him. Take your time and practice under a sensei when you can.

Chris