Cross-training aikido and karate

Posted by: Anonymous

Cross-training aikido and karate - 12/28/04 08:15 PM

I have been doing Aikido for about 18mths and probably average 2-3times a week. It is a wonderful art and I enjoy very much and want to continue for a very long time. About 6 months ago I also resume karate training that I had done several years before - becasue I enjoy the katas and power of this art. I beleive they both are great and have a lot to offer. Recently my aikido sensei approached me and seemed quite disturbed and annoyed that I was cross-training and said that I should decide which path I want to follow - obviously I was upset with this remark. Maybe he is right and atleast had a few years foundation in one stykle instead of trying to learn both at once when I am fairly new to both. Do people beleive that I am wrong for doing this when I personally am really enjoying both the styles and people that I have met.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Cross-training aikido and karate - 12/29/04 10:05 AM

Your Sensei is correct. I too have other arts that get some of my attension but I have been doing this for about 30 years. In the begining it's important to focus on one particular type of MA. One or two years is not long enough, grasshopper, don't try to snatch the pebble yet. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Cross-training aikido and karate - 12/29/04 05:58 PM

The Chinese have a saying: "You cannot straddle two boats with one foot".

Your sensei is correct in advising you to choose one path. Your karate sensei would no doubt advise similarly.

My advice to you is to heed the advice of "one who has gone before" (i.e. "sensei")...choose a path and be true to it.

When you have sufficiently explored that path for at least 6-10 years, then decide if you want to stay the course or follow a different path. Be aware that, should you decide to change course, you will need to start from the beginning again.

Many roads lead to enlightenment...and the journey is long and arduous. Good luck!
Posted by: csinca

Re: Cross-training aikido and karate - 12/30/04 09:12 AM

Just to put a different perspective on things... I wonder how O'Sensei felt about crosstraining???

In my opinion crosstraining can be a very good thing but as the two previous posts have pointed out, you really need several years developing a solid foundation.

Chris

Re: Cross-training aikido and karate - 12/30/04 10:28 AM

I train in both karate and aikido. my roots are in shotokan karate in which I have attained 2nd dan. for the 6/7 years I have been training in aiki jujutsu and I must say that I love both styles, they both have great attributes.

I attend aiki jujutsu twice a week and in my spare time practice my pad-bag work and kata and anylise kata applications with a fellow karateka, I have found many aikido techniques within kata- I find this very beneficial for both arts.

I practice my gross motor skills and karate for attacking and aiding muscle memory which provides good body mechanics, hip power, flexibillity, this also benefits my aikido training.

aikido is more of a complex art and takes more time and dedication to learn, it is a great art and well worth continuing and progressing with. I think it is always good to do research into other arts and pick up tips or extra techniques which you can add to your arsenal of knowledge, plus you get an idea of what others are doing, however it is true what others say in being 'a master of none' and is good advice.

Re: Cross-training aikido and karate - 12/30/04 03:05 PM

Cross-training is fine - but not at the same time. I feel it is necessary for one to at least immerse one's self in 1 art form for an extended period before exloring other avenues of expression.

I feel that this can increase the likelihood of one discovering both the similarities and differences in a different martial art.

It would not be fair to say that aikido is a more "complex" martial art - it's just different to what one would "normally" experience in say, karate. The "training method" and mode of expression is different.

However, it is no less different to, say, "cross-training" in (chinese/japanese) caligraphy.