Tomiki Vs Aikido

Posted by: Anonymous

Tomiki Vs Aikido - 12/22/04 12:34 PM

I know the answer to this question ,I just want to know not to Start trouble, how many really know , What ? is the difference in Tomiki Aikido vs Morihei Ueshiba, Aikido...Thanks Guys.

Re: Tomiki Vs Aikido - 12/29/04 06:55 PM

Kenji Tomiki sensei was one of Ueshiba's live-in (uchi-deshi) students. He broke away (left) from Ueshiba's aikido to form a "sport" variation of the art.

Whilst it is still in many ways "aikido", I do not believe that Tomiki aikido is consistent with Ueshiba's vision of what aikido was, is, and should be.

Re: Tomiki Vs Aikido - 03/31/05 11:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by eyrie:
Kenji Tomiki sensei was one of Ueshiba's live-in (uchi-deshi) students. He broke away (left) from Ueshiba's aikido to form a "sport" variation of the art.[/QUOTE]

Tomiki was never uchi-deshi to Morihei Ueshiba. Jigoro Kano sent him to train under Ueshiba in daito ry aiki-jujutsu and teach it at the Kodokan, but Tomiki was already an older man and very advanced in judo, so he did not become uchi-deshi. However, he was one of two people to whom Ueshiba gave the menkyo-kaiden in daito-ryu.

He was a prisoner of war in Siberia after WWII and developed much of his method in a prison cell, where he also lost much of his health. So he never "broke away" from Ueshiba, either, but was a licensed master in his own right and taught as he saw fit.

His aikido is probably closer to Ueshiba's aikido than most current styles.