Atemi Waza question?

Posted by: Anonymous

Atemi Waza question? - 12/16/04 08:38 PM

Some of you may know me, but if not I have a background in BJJ and Muay Thai over the past five years. I’m also a bodyguard and have taken classes at different agencies that just work with LEO’s. So I have seen Karate and Jiu-Jitsu mixed, along with Kenpo and Wing Chung and so on and so fourth.

But the best class that I took was threw Combative Concepts, which their style is, a combination, which they call Aiki-Jitsu. Aikido and Jiu-Jitsu put together. I respect it and use it more to apply applications than any other system I have been threw unless I feel different.

But the instructors did mention Atemi Waza and mentioned told us about how deadly Waza can be.

I have bought books on the subject and understand basic aspects of it, but I would like to hear from you guys that study Aikido the truth behind Waza?

OCman….www.FrankMir.com

Re: Atemi Waza question? - 12/17/04 09:58 PM

Some general information for those who don't know what Atemi Waza means (and because I'm bored):

The term Atemi Waza is formed from three Japanese words. Ate = hit, Mi = body, and Waza = technique. Atemi Waza is often translated as striking techniques.

You often see this term used in "soft" styles to differentiate striking techniques from joint locks, chokes, ect.

I think what the instructors you spoke with were referring to is simply following up with a single strike as a finishing move to leading or controlling an attacker. Strikes from a person flowing and moving with an attacker can be quite powerful. One reason behind this power is that often the attacker is moving into the strike after being redirected. There is also the whole issue of Ki projection, which I will avoid.

There is some video of O Sensei himself delivering some Atemi.

This is just my opinion, of course, but I think that powerful striking can be achieved in any style. Many Aikido, Aikijutsu, Jujutsu, and even Judo practitioners develop very devastating striking techniques as a result of first understanding concepts of off-balancing and controlling an opponent first, rather than punching a dodging, counter punching attacker.

Although I practice similar arts, I'm not really qualified to speak specifically about Aikido. Perhaps someone with some more specific background in Aikido can better answer the question instead of just the general info and thoughts I can offer.

--Dallas

Re: Atemi Waza question? - 12/29/04 07:07 PM

To understand atemi-waza, one needs a fundamental understanding of anatomy, vital points, meridians, ki, and physiological responses to such strikes.

In many cases, atemi-waza is used to get the attacker to "respond" in a certain fashion as a "lead-in" to another technique - either a throw or a joint lock. Think of atemi-waza as "softening" techniques.

[This message has been edited by eyrie (edited 12-30-2004).]

Re: Atemi Waza question? - 03/31/05 10:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dallas:
The term Atemi Waza is formed from three Japanese words. Ate = hit, Mi = body, and Waza = technique.[/QUOTE]

Not really. Ate does mean "strike" but Mi does not mean "body". It's the same "Mi" as "ukemi", "sutemi", "maki komi", etc. In these cases "mi" is sort of equivalant to "ing" as in striking, receiving, discarding.

Re: Atemi Waza question? - 03/31/05 02:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aikikiai:
Not really. Ate does mean "strike" but Mi does not mean "body".[/QUOTE]

Actually, Dallas is correct in the literal translation of 'mi' as 'body'. But the useage is not a direct translation. It works out more like 'body of' as in the body of works by Shakespeare. So 'atemi waza' would be more like 'the body of striking techniques," as in a class of techniques.

Anyway, a standard Japanese dictionary translates it as 'striking vital points.'

It translates 'ukemi' as 'breakfalls' and 'sutemi' as 'risk one's life.' 'Body' is the translation of 'mi' in 'atemi' but it doesn't really translate to 'strike the body'.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Atemi Waza question? - 03/31/05 02:13 PM

Somthing that should be considered, at least I think so--for whatever thats worth.

Is that both Ueshiba and Shioda both stated that "atemi" are a major part of aikido.
Some estimates say "80 percent."
In that throws, locks and projection are preceeded, or done in concert with an atemi blow.

My VERY general observation with is that it seems not to be focused on in many schools, in anything beyond a "pro forma" fashion.

(could always be wrong on that of course)

Ellis Amdur touchs on this is his book, "Dueling With O'Sensei."
Good read.

[This message has been edited by cxt (edited 03-31-2005).]

Re: Atemi Waza question? - 04/01/05 01:13 AM

I think atemi wasa is particularly useful, mainly for taking balance and disturbing uke. There was one incidence where I was uke and my partner was practicing tenchinage, they took my balance and atemi-ed. Unfortunately I forgot to put my guard up and received a rather painful palm strike to my mouth and nose area. Needless to say every time we practice now I make sure my guard is well and truly up!