PROBLEMS WITH IKKYO AND NIKKYO

Posted by: Anonymous

PROBLEMS WITH IKKYO AND NIKKYO - 11/15/04 09:04 AM

WHENEVER I TRY TO APPLY IKKYO AND NIKKYO ON PEOPLE WHO GROUND THEIR ENERGY OR ARE NON COPERATIVE I GET NOWHERE.
ANY COMMENTS ON THIS,IS THERE A CERTAIN WAY THEY SHOULD BE APPLIED,PLEASE EXPLAIN.

YOURS IN AIKI,JD
Posted by: senseilou

Re: PROBLEMS WITH IKKYO AND NIKKYO - 11/15/04 12:09 PM

Here is my take on this. First of all, what is the situation. Is it in class and is it done the way Sensei shows? If they know what you are going to do, and you have to do it a specific way, its easy to resist. I am currently writing an article "Principles of Locking" which talks about this very thing. First, like I said its the arena you are in. If its class and you have to go with the program, then you have to adjust accordingly. If not, there are many choices. We start with 'the lock only exists in the partucular place and time'. So if you are in class and this happens, change your alignment with the attacker(body angle) and the alignment with your hands, so instead a facing him, face say 2-3 oclock. Change your hand position as well, slide your hands down your body and attack his body from a different angle. You also can apply the lock to them, or to you, which also changes the dynamic of the lock. Now if you are allowed to achieve the lock on your own, we use atemi or geri to set them up. Shin kick will fold him for you, and make the resistance less. Also, using strikes to the thorasic area will fold them in the direction you want. Look at how you apply the lock. DO you employ a stance, if not try one, if you do, change the stance. Most people stay in a T-stance, try something else. If you elongate your T-Stance and its resembles a long stnace, your body attacks their body with the lock. Try changing the grip of your lock. There are many versions of Ikkyo and Nikkyo. For Ikkyo we put our elbow lengthwise on the attakers arm to keep them from resisting. For Nikkyo we put both hands on their hand and don't control the elbow, but the wrist instead. It all depends on your kime. There are many things you can do to help make your locks more efficient. Start with changing your positions when you start the lock.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: PROBLEMS WITH IKKYO AND NIKKYO - 12/06/04 06:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aikidoka24:
WHENEVER I TRY TO APPLY IKKYO AND NIKKYO ON PEOPLE WHO GROUND THEIR ENERGY OR ARE NON COPERATIVE I GET NOWHERE.
ANY COMMENTS ON THIS,IS THERE A CERTAIN WAY THEY SHOULD BE APPLIED,PLEASE EXPLAIN.

YOURS IN AIKI,JD
[/QUOTE]

Because you are training static i.e: without movement. With movement it works fine and you don't get a chance to ground, unless you have been training for longer.
Basically everyone has the belief that being cooperative defeats the purpose. That isn't so, how else does one learn.
For ikkyo always make sure you have their hand higher than their shoulder and their arm should be straight such that, the elbow is locked.

nikkyo uses the same principle as above except you need to have the lock applied correctly. Even if you do not have the lock on, as long as their shoulder is below their own hand height, then the moment they move you exert more pressure through the shoulder such that they go to ground.

ig
Posted by: the504mikey

Re: PROBLEMS WITH IKKYO AND NIKKYO - 12/07/04 01:08 PM

Kuzushi, or balance breaking.

If a person is flat footed, and the power from your lock travels through his skeleton and into his feet, then your technique can be resisted if he has the strength and/or is willing to take the pain.

Try this... apply the lock until "all the slack is out" of uke's arm. He's not in any pain yet, but he will be if you twist any further. Once the slack is gone, his arm becomes a solid "handle" you can use to lead him around. Using this handle, shift him an inch or two-- just enough so that he rocks on his heels or toes as need be. Don't move him too much, or he will just take a step and you'll have to start over.

As soon as he loses his balance, but before it occurs to him to step, take him down. If you try to take him down before he loses his balance it's a wrestling match. If he has no balance, he can't push against the ground to get power. You literally won't feel any resistance as he falls. Avoid the temptation to crank the lock at this point-- since he's falling, you don't get any more feedback about how much you are loading his joints. Take the slack out, shift the balance, and down him. Don't use any more power than you have to. The more of a subtle, relaxed movement you can make it the better off you will be (and the more your uke will like working with you). Hope this helps!

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]