My Girl And What Should I do?

Posted by: Anonymous

My Girl And What Should I do? - 11/07/04 02:45 AM

I am new to this site and the only thing that I want to ask is what kind of technics do you know of, that will help me to keep my girl friend safe from her ex. Who has threatend her life and is trying everything in his power to hurt her and her family. The Police are not a good source of help, here in Midland Texas. What should I do.

Re: My Girl And What Should I do? - 11/08/04 01:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David:
I am new to this site and the only thing that I want to ask is what kind of technics do you know of, that will help me to keep my girl friend safe from her ex. Who has threatend her life and is trying everything in his power to hurt her and her family. The Police are not a good source of help, here in Midland Texas. What should I do.[/QUOTE]

I realise in your post you said the police aren't any help, but I'd keep pestering them.

There aren't really any techniques which can be posted on forums that you'd be able to use just by reading them. Look for martial arts classes in your area and try a few out to see which one would suit you best. I would recommend looking at boxing, judo, and aikido. However whatever martial art you choose, every one takes time. It takes many years to become an accomplished martial artist and you must realise you are unlikely to be able to defend yourself competently in a short space of time.

Another thing to consider,try and avoid places where you know your girlfriends ex is likely to be.

Good luck.
[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: schanne

Re: My Girl And What Should I do? - 11/08/04 10:59 AM

You know what they say about Texas and steers right?! LOL

Re: My Girl And What Should I do? - 11/15/04 08:00 PM

The BEST friend of a lady in such a situation is a HANDGUN. It takes a little training to use properly & effectively, but not the hours and hours as required for
hand to hand training. For help in finding local training see the NRA website.
(I'm not merely plugging NRA, it's just the
best source on such information...)
Posted by: Joe Jutsu

Re: My Girl And What Should I do? - 11/18/04 02:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kd4yhs:
The BEST friend of a lady in such a situation is a HANDGUN. It takes a little training to use properly & effectively, but not the hours and hours as required for
hand to hand training. For help in finding local training see the NRA website.
(I'm not merely plugging NRA, it's just the
best source on such information...)

[/QUOTE]

This would be the best option, that is, if you're fully prepared to spend a significant portion of your life rotting behind bars if you ever had to use your handgun. But I won't deny that handgun training is probably the most effective martial training (not art) out there, if that is what you're into. I would be more inclined to agree with Chanters. To develop a proficiency in any martial art is going to take some serious time and effort, no matter what the art is. But you may find that even after a month or so of serious practice that attributes such as your hand-eye coordination and the level of your general awareness will increase, which can help you make wise decisions (ie lets not go to this bar because old dude and all of his boys are here). Anyway David, your situation can't be fun, so good luck in whatever course of action you decide to pursue.

Joe

Joe

Re: My Girl And What Should I do? - 11/20/04 07:05 AM

Clearly this is a case where trained MULTIPLE dogs are required for security. ALWAYS keep the animals in your (and your girlfriend's) presence. I've been in your position and I'm aghast at how UNCARING and INEFFECTIVE the police are. PS When my dogs attacked it was I who was the one dragged to court! STILL I'd do the same if needed.

Re: My Girl And What Should I do? - 11/20/04 03:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe Jutsu:

This would be the best option, that is, if you're fully prepared to spend a significant portion of your life rotting behind bars if you ever had to use your handgun. But I won't deny that handgun training is probably the most effective martial training (not art) out there, if that is what you're into. I would be more inclined to agree with Chanters. To develop a proficiency in any martial art is going to take some serious time and effort, no matter what the art is. But you may find that even after a month or so of serious practice that attributes such as your hand-eye coordination and the level of your general awareness will increase, which can help you make wise decisions (ie lets not go to this bar because old dude and all of his boys are here). Anyway David, your situation can't be fun, so good luck in whatever course of action you decide to pursue.

Joe

Joe
[/QUOTE]

Most jurisdictions would not charge her with
a crime. Places where gun ownership is prohibited like NYC, DC, etc probably would.
But, as the saying goes, "It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

Sadly many ladies in her position have been hurt or killed because the law would not allow her to possess a firearm or she was waiting out the requisite time period before acquisition. This should not be so.
As for dogs, they are awesome, indeed, but the ex-boyfriend stalker often has a gun (regardless of legal restrictions)... 'nuf said.

Handgun training is indeed an art when the shooter is a target-shooting practitioner.
Take the Olympic shooter: the mental focus and discipline required is at least equal to the great Martial Arts masters' capability. For one who's primary usage is self defense, perhaps it's not on the level of an art.

My prayers go up for the lady in this position.

Dan

Re: My Girl And What Should I do? - 12/08/04 02:59 PM

David.
I totally agree with most of the replies to your question, it would take you some time and commitment of training in order to effectively pretend to defend yourself and your lady... that's in the case of empty hand fighting obviously. I would suggest to find a self defense course or something related, martial arts are more about long time commitment discipline than merely to solve a one time problem. Also would follow the advice to avoid areas you know he and his buddies would frequent.

Don't know about guns... the damage is permanent on both sides.

Good luck in your quest!
Posted by: Salek

Re: My Girl And What Should I do? - 12/10/04 06:01 PM

I would suggest one of those blow horn things... You know the real loud one... Works almost like mace... stuns them if they are close, and you have to get them in the ear, and it always lets people know that there is some thing going on

Good luck on you girl protecting mission [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Re: My Girl And What Should I do? - 12/16/04 07:32 PM

I agree that you should continue to pester the police. Never travel alone and always carry a cell phone in case you should run into trouble. As for the self defense the best self defense is avoidance and awareness but i can list a couple of quick moves in case something comes up.

If your learning self defense elsewhere you should keep in mind that it should be easy enough to execute quickly because that is the point, stop the attack and get time to get away.

If you need to stop him quickly punch certain pressure points as in

1. hit as hard as you possibly can in the neck, it will cause a person to choke

2. the nose because it you hit it hard "upward" it can kill a person (not the best option)

3. kidneys (bit harder to hit but it will hurt like heck) (can kill)

If it is an armed attack i can't help you on a forum but I can say this, if your in a crowed place you need to be careful because other ppl have loved ones too. Don't let pride get in the way of judgement if he asks for a material item and your in a really crowded place you don't want him shooting any material item can be replaced,a life cannot. But if its just you, your girl and him thats a different story and there is self defense that can help with that

Regardless of waht ppl say self defense is meant to be easy and effective not overly difficult