To dedicate or not to dedicate

Posted by: Anonymous

To dedicate or not to dedicate - 10/25/04 04:23 PM

Hi all,

I've been practicing Aikido for a little more than two years and I'm currently a college student. I have reached a point where my training in Aikido has grasped me much more passionately than my college experience. My question is, given the opportunity to dedicate your life to the education and training in Aikido (most likely with an uchi-deshi program) with the end goal of owning and opperating a dojo would you take it? I feel that if I continue to attend college and practice Aikido at the same time I will never fully dedicate myself to either discipline. As the saying goes "A Jack of all trades is a Master of none", what do I do when I don't feel that I will be content with being the Jack of all trades?
Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Mike
Posted by: mugen

Re: To dedicate or not to dedicate - 10/26/04 12:52 AM

I experience the exact same situation as you and I often ask myself the very same question. I think that I would be a much more valuable asset and contributor to the Aikido community if I finish my education and earn a comfortable and steady income. It really depends on your own priorities though. Mine are 1. family 2. job 3. Aikido. Just go with what you believe, but dedicate and focus all your energy into it and you cant fail

Re: To dedicate or not to dedicate - 10/26/04 03:16 AM

If you think you can make a living teaching Aikido with out a college education you are delusional. Even if you go through a uchi-deshi program, what will your rank be? Why would any one pay a 20 something nidan enough money for you to make rent and pay your bills, plus health care and other expenses, when they could train with a 6th degree black belt with 20 years experience. I would suggest getting your degree now. Aikido will always be there.

Re: To dedicate or not to dedicate - 10/26/04 07:41 AM

Hey guys,

First I must appologize for not being more clear. I'm only a year and a 1/2 off from my bachelors degree so that's definately going to happen, but if I'm going to follow this path of academic education it would benefit me a little more to pursue a masters or even a PhD in this particular field. I'm at a juncture that I may be able to redirect my education in another direction that might benefit my aikido career. Although I have been told that practicing aikido for a living is a great way to go hungry I can't help but feel that I should follow what feels right.

thanks,
Mike
Posted by: schanne

Re: To dedicate or not to dedicate - 10/26/04 12:12 PM

Stick it out and get your degree first. Anyone can show someone martial arts but running a business today is complex.

Re: To dedicate or not to dedicate - 10/27/04 02:40 AM

While I'm not a big advocate of degree over experience as it applies to a particular field. I would suggest you finish your degree. The ability to perservere and complete a task to obtain a goal will bode you well in the business world.

Depending on your level of competence in the art you might try to begin to teach on the side. Take on students or start a aikido newsletter. THis will allow you to begin to get a sense of what you wish to devote yourself to while still remaining in school.

Also keep in mind that just because you have a degree doesnt mean you can run a business. They are two completely different animals. Perhaps you could use your degree to help further the aikido community? One of the biggest mistakes alot of small businesses do is fail to create value for the customer. Read, educate yourself on business ownership and running small businesses. Just some ideas, hope it helps.

Re: To dedicate or not to dedicate - 10/27/04 08:59 PM

Thank you all for your responses!
It is quite clear that finishing the degree is the important thing at hand! I'm just trying to look ahead and make decisions now that may head me in the right direction. While I am aware that aikido (and martial arts in general) is more of a hobby or something done after work or on the side, I'd like to know what could be if I made it a full time thing.
I've always been told a few things about making a living for yourself: "work hard and be diligent and $ and security will come" or "I got where I am by taking risks and sticking with them" and "If it hurts to imagine your life without something, that's what you should do". I know what I want in my life, I'm prepared to work hard for it, and I can take the risks right now to start things rolling. Just hope it won't blow up in my face!!

Thanks again,

Mike