good question?

Posted by: Anonymous

good question? - 08/21/04 11:35 PM

Hi again, my curiosity has grown by reading these forums. I love pushing my body to the limits, spite my knees, I would like to know is there any way to train at home, money isn't strong with me, and the places near us are very money or how you say McDojo's. I would love to know an intense trianing i can do with aikido, orany other martial arts. I would be most appreciative, if anyone could answer that. Is it possible to train yourself or make a new art, questions erupt in my head such as this, i want to enlighten myself by learning off everyone out there, such a feat possible, dedication and training i acknowledge, accepting the way of paccifism (sp) over violence yet knowing what true power of mind is and spirit of body, these things race through my head, and for me it seems aikido is a good way to start off learning, can anyone answer me? i would be most appreciative!!
--Rob
Posted by: senseilou

Re: good question? - 08/22/04 03:26 AM

Is it possible to train yourself or make a new art

A simple answer.......no, no way, don't even consider it!

How can you create an art if you have nothing to create it. You say you are 17, how much experience can you possibly have. To create an art you need years and years of experience. You quote 'McDojo's' which they may be, but it is a school none the less. One needs experience to create anything. If all you have is Tae Kwon Do, then you have techniques of just that, by making up new ones, they are still based on what you have. In my experience, it takes one over 10 years before he can even considering going off on their own.One needs a Sensei to guide and direct your progress and most of all, correct you, and your bad habits you may collect by training on your own.

This is becoming more and more prevalant, we just had this discussion on another post, people wanting to train themselves or create something without training. I had a student just recently that claimed to have trained in Jeet Kune Do, when pressed he had watched 2 videos and read 2 books which now qualifies him as studying Jeet Kune Do. Nothing, I repeat nothing takes the place of training and having the process of being taught. The only way to get better is to train and under the watchful eye of a Sensei. At 17 you have not had the time to experience the Martial arts, you need to find someone who will keep an eye on you and help you mature in the arts. People today want to take the easy route and just read, watch or learn on the internet, it is not the same thing as training.In many arts, there is time in grade, meaning you have to be a certain age to be a certain rank. There is a maturing process and another process ShuHaRi, in which you learn the essence of training. Until you are at the Ri level, you should never even consider desighning your own art. Sorry to tell you this, but you are at the Shu level, and will be there for awhile until you age and mature into what you want to become. One can not create anything until one has a proper base. You can not write a novel until you can spell, read, and learn how to write. You don't see novels written by 6th graders. You must define a style of writing in order to write, you define yourself and what you do before you going creating your own art. Find someone to study with, that is your best option. There is no easy way to gain enlightenment
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: good question? - 08/22/04 10:06 AM

yet again, a brillian answer by senseilou, thank you so ever very much, and sorry if i offended you with my naive attitude,my humble appologies; however, next matter of questions, is there any website or any place I could track down a real dojo here in my current spot, as I said before i know a few, but they are McDojo's around here, but nothing traditional as a lot of you speak of, and i would appreciate anyone giving me name of places here, thank you
Posted by: senseilou

Re: good question? - 08/22/04 02:06 PM

Try www.worldblackbelt.com

There is a directory of schools there that might help