Aikido worked well

Posted by: immrtldragon

Aikido worked well - 06/28/04 03:32 PM

Just wanted to post a recent Aikido experience I had. A guy was at my Judo club who I have not seen often. He is a shodan and pops in here and there to train. He is quite heavier than me (at least 30 pounds). Anyway, we were doing randori and he kept digging his fist into my neck, for long periods at a time...not just poking my neck, but literally pushing his fist forcefully into my neck. Very unsportsman like. Anyway, I told him to stop at least three times, and in my frustration, pushed him like a you would in a street fight before it starts. I apologized immediately and again, said "please stop digging your hand into my neck, that is not good Judo." He continued, with force, and it was hurting. I took Yoshinkan Aikido over a year ago, for only 3 months, but suddenly found myself pivoting to evade his forward momentum and applying a wrist lock/throw I learned there (Sorry, I don't know the name of the lock). It was the one where you would reach over top of his right fist with you left hand from the outside, then grab the meaty part of the palm near the thumb. Then, while pivoting, turning his hand over and push the knuckles to assist (sorry if that made no sense, it's hard to explain). By the time I finished, he was on his back and I still had control of his wrist. I told him our randori is over because he doesn't follow rules of etiquite...coincidentally, the 4 minute round was over anyway. My experience was effective Aikido, and amazingly I do not practice Aikido...just what I learned in my 3 months of a college class. Good stuff.

PS: I know it will come up. I am in the seniors class (I'm 23) and our sensei was also playing randori, so no, he did not see this happen. The guy and I basically avoid randori with each other now. He is not really a member of my club and only stops in once in a while.

So those who say Aikido doesn't work unless you have decades of experience, it worked for me, and no one got hurt. I wish the Aikido dojo wasn't 50 minutes from my house.

Edited for typos.

[This message has been edited by immrtldragon (edited 06-28-2004).]
Posted by: immrtldragon

Re: Aikido worked well - 06/28/04 03:44 PM

http://www.aikidofaq.com/bilder/gif89/doshu6.gif.html

This would be the style of the throw...not the pin though.
Posted by: Joe Jutsu

Re: Aikido worked well - 06/28/04 05:21 PM

I'm glad that you were able to use kotegaeishi (koteoroshi) in judo. That's pretty sweet! I've been practicing aikido in college for about 3 years, and have about three classes of judo under my belt, so our expreriences are sort of opposite but alike. The link shows the move with a spinning pin, which is a fun one for uke anyway. But I'm glad you took something positive from your limited experience with aikido, and hopefully one day you'll find yourself perhaps within the vicinity of a dojo that has both aikido and judo in it. That's a hope of mine anyway.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by: Shaolinboy

Re: Aikido worked well - 07/02/04 08:38 AM

Well maybe you should continue with your Aikido training as well as it has been invaluable to you after only 3 months of training. I do Kung Fu but I am very impressed with Aikido and I would love to learn. But the problem is the nearest Aikido class that doesn't conincide with my Kung Fu class is on a Monday evening but about 15 miles away! I have books on Aikido but they're not quite the same as its hard to learn anything because you really need a qualified instructor!
Posted by: csinca

Re: Aikido worked well - 07/02/04 12:16 PM

Hey guys, glad to see the interest in aikido! I urge you not to let distance and drive time stop you from pursuing the art of your choice or from working out at the place of your choice (within reason). If you spend two hours a day three days a week somewhere or with someone that you don't really enjoy, you are just wasting 6 hours a week of your life.

I drive 35 minutes each way to my aikido dojo because of my sensei. To get there I drive past three other aikido dojos, the nearest one is about 2 miles from my house.

I understand that everyone has different circumstances but it really is worth the effort and time if your training is important to you.

Good luck and have a safe weekend!

Chris
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Aikido worked well - 07/02/04 01:41 PM

I am beginning to educate myself of the various martial arts. I wrestled in my youth, and would like to study an art that builds on my experience, and works well in close contact. I am attracted to Jujutsu and Aikido because these two styles appear to fit well. I would appreciate any comments or advice.