What exatcly is aikido?

Posted by: Anonymous

What exatcly is aikido? - 05/26/04 12:20 PM

i cannot decide between tae kwon do karate and aikido since i dont know much bout any of them wat is aikid and wat do u use weapons feet punch?

Re: What exatcly is aikido? - 05/26/04 10:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by -speero-:
i cannot decide between tae kwon do karate and aikido since i dont know much bout any of them wat is aikid and wat do u use weapons feet punch?[/QUOTE]

Aikido is one of the newest arts while at the same time being one of the oldest arts. It is an art, not a fighting style. In short the focus is not on attacking but defending. It relies on the energy given to you by your attacker or basically relying on the malintentions of your opponent. The emphasis is not attacking the attacker but defending against the attack itself in the hopes that your attacker can be given a chance to redeem himself. It is a soft art and focuses more on movement, flow, physics, and posture while other arts like Karate or Tae Kwon Doe may require an element of speed and strength. In it's lowest form it allows you to harm another person with simple movements and in its highest form or etiquette it allows you to successfully defend yourself while allowing both you and your attacker to walk away from the confrontation unharmed. I hope this helped you somewhat or maybe it confused you. The best way to know if the art of Aikido is for you is to visit a dojo and watch the class. I have been involved in it for approximately 2 1/2 years and absolutely love it.

Re: What exatcly is aikido? - 05/27/04 11:53 AM

Thnk u very much

Re: What exatcly is aikido? - 05/28/04 07:37 AM

i cannot decide between tae kwon do karate and aikido since i dont know much bout any of them wat is aikid and wat do u use weapons feet punch?[/QUOTE]

I agree with JGG you need to see aikido in action at a dojo. I done both TWD &aikido &most of my traing has been the latter. both arts are good& you can learn alot of both.One thing about aikido I can tell you is to give yourself some time to learn its tricker than it looks.you won't regert it. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: russman167

Re: What exatcly is aikido? - 06/08/04 09:50 AM

Hey Seero,

Her is an idea take a year or so to get your Black Belt in TKD, and then you can switch over to Aikido. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Ok I'm being a little disrespectful here, but so many of the TKD schools in my area are little more than Black Belt farms. I've been to Korea, and I know that when taught as it was meant to be, TKD is a very Dynamic and effective martial art. But, let's face it that is now how it is usually taught here in the US. As a result we have a thousand 10 year old black belts running around who are under the sadly mistaken assumption that they are in a position to defend themselves.

Some of the Aikido schools that I have been to have been a little too concerned about "flowing ki" to be really effective, but on the other hand no one is going to ask you to sign a four year contract for $5,000, at the end of which you are guaranteed to be a black belt.

Good Luck.

Sincerely,

-Russ (The Judo Guy)
The JudoGi Store www.judogis.com

May your way be gentle.