Interpretations of Aikido

Posted by: senseilou

Interpretations of Aikido - 05/11/04 01:33 AM

I chose interpretations vs styles because a persons influence on their Aikido is not necessarily a style. I have studied under many Aiki Masters and much is the same, yet much is different. Tohei Sensei's interpretation is more Ki oriented, and softer than say Yoshinkan of Yamada Sensei. I trained under a Japanesse monk, Yamana Sensei whose influence was more Chin Na in nature, but definitely was Aikido. I have trained with Miyako Fujitana Sensei(Steven Segals first wife)and her Aikido was very Martial but not very hard. Kobayashi Sensei, Toyada Sensei, Saito Sensei all have their interpretations of Aikido. What do you see as the different influnces in the same art of Aikido? My first Aikido Sensei was a Judo champion and his Aikido was more Judo like, and I have seen this very often. Anyone else seen influences in Aikido that is not the norm?
Posted by: Joe Jutsu

Re: Interpretations of Aikido - 05/11/04 11:32 AM

Well, Tohei was a well regarded judoka before he started training under O Sensei, and his aikido doesn't look anything like judo. And I believe that O Sensei wouldn't take a student,at least for a long time unless they were a yudansha in another art.

But I have noticed that there is definitely different things that top aikidoka do that give them there own "style." David Shaner sensei came to my dojo to put on a seminar, and I realy noticed that he can do tenkans in a really big way to large uke's that led them very well, but if I were to do it that way then I'm sure uke would stuff my technique. Kashiwaya sensei's aikido has a very big feel to it, but his techniques look very small and direct. His ikkyo, for instance, takes place in about a foot or foot and a half verticle space, whereas the way it was taught to me involves a much bigger up and down movement.

I don't think the difference in techniques of these two Ki Society instructors comes as much from their backgrounds than from their own interpretations and body types.

But my experience is limited, but I hope to change that sometime. I've been wanting to take a road trip to visit some friends on the west coast, and I thought it would be alot of fun to take my gi and stop at some aikido dojos along the way. Who knows, maybe one of these days.

Joe
Posted by: csinca

Re: Interpretations of Aikido - 05/11/04 03:43 PM

Joe,

If that trips ever happens and it includes the San Diego area, let me know. You'd be welcome in our class or I could set up a separate workout.

As for influences in Aikido, BJ Carlisle started our dojo out here in Southern California and certainly imparted his own influences. He began Aikido with Doran Sensei when they were in the Marines together teaching H2H combat. BJ Sensei spent a number of years with Toyoda but had a major falling out years ago. Since the mid 90's our style has been greatly influenced by Sensei Don Angier. Really really are more of an aiki jujutsu and just recently changed our name from Aikido to Aiki Budo to reflect our style.

Chris
Posted by: Joe Jutsu

Re: Interpretations of Aikido - 05/12/04 12:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by csinca:
Joe,

If that trips ever happens and it includes the San Diego area, let me know. You'd be welcome in our class or I could set up a separate workout.

As for influences in Aikido, BJ Carlisle started our dojo out here in Southern California and certainly imparted his own influences. He began Aikido with Doran Sensei when they were in the Marines together teaching H2H combat. BJ Sensei spent a number of years with Toyoda but had a major falling out years ago. Since the mid 90's our style has been greatly influenced by Sensei Don Angier. Really really are more of an aiki jujutsu and just recently changed our name from Aikido to Aiki Budo to reflect our style.

Chris
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer Chris. I'm actually going to Oakland for the Northern Ki Society's Taigi Workshop/Competition in the end of May, but my ticket was bought for me, I wanted to do an open ended sort of deal but it's not going to work out this time. But I will definitely stop by if I am in the San Diego area. The idea of attending amore "aikibudo" type of school sounds very appealing. I'll keep you posted.

Back to finals... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]

Joe
Posted by: russman167

Re: Interpretations of Aikido - 06/08/04 09:38 AM

Interpretation vs Style, is a very good way to look at things. I have studied with three Sensei (actually more) who all consider themselves to be students of Steven Segal, but each of them are very different in their approach and execution of the techniques of Aikdo. Even the guys that got their black belts from him: Eddie, Craig, Ben, etc. all have aikido that looks very different.

Most of the Shihan that I have had the priviledge to speak to, or hear speak have at some point said something to the effect of "there is only one Aikido, O' Sensei's Aikido."

Yet in spite of this show of modesty on their parts, people still insist on labeling their teachings as a "style.".

Incidently my background is also in largely in Judo. As a result few if any of my fellow Aikidoka training partners execute techniques exactly like me. I guess that's because I'm doing my own style of Aikido. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

May Your Way Be Gentle.

Sincerely,

-Russ (The Judo Guy)
The JudoGi Store www.judogis.com

[This message has been edited by russman167 (edited 06-08-2004).]