31 move jo kata

Posted by: joesixpack

31 move jo kata - 03/07/04 02:14 PM

I have just learnt this. However, I want to polish it up and see if it is being done correctly. Any advice or mpegs I can watch?

A new favoutite weapon!
Posted by: Joe Jutsu

Re: 31 move jo kata - 03/07/04 02:37 PM

I love the jo too! However, the two kata in my school are only 22 moves, but the two flow together so its more like one 44 move kata. But if I find anything on the internet I'll post it.

Joe
Posted by: senseilou

Re: 31 move jo kata - 03/07/04 08:28 PM

Hi Guys
You may check and see if Panthers productions has a tape called Mastering the Jo by Ken Ota. I had this tape but its real old, early or late 80's I think. I saw Panther had reduced this tape a year or so ago for about $10. On this tape the 33 step version of the same form is done, though a bit different. I have seen this form done several ways with several steps. remember that it really depends on how you count the steps, as one Sensei may combine some steps and others count them out. I learned it as a 33 step jo form. I have seen the same thing as 40 and 42 step form but much of the form was the same just a different counting system. I learned mine from Chiba Sensei from San Diego. I understand that Ota Sensei got his Aikido from his dad but do not know much more than that. the tape I had was basically the same form but had to adapt it a bit. the pari's were different and the footwork a bit different but if you wanted something to work from you might try to find it. I have it written down somewhere the way I learned it, so if you e-mail me I will try to find it and send it to you.

Re: 31 move jo kata - 03/07/04 10:31 PM

Thanks lou. my email is in my profile.

The way I count it (can't remember what the book says), it is 34 moves.
Posted by: dazzler2

Re: 31 move jo kata - 03/08/04 05:34 AM

Try searching through iwama-ryu websites.

These guys really focus on the weapons side of aikido and you should find loads of stuff on the 31 and 13 jo katas and the accompanying awase practice.

Alternatively look for Saito sensei links.

D
Posted by: csinca

Re: 31 move jo kata - 03/08/04 09:27 AM

Joe,

You can go to www.sneakyfeetaikido.com and they have a quicktime version of the 31 jo kata

Chris

Re: 31 move jo kata - 03/08/04 04:00 PM

Thanks Chris. I can't be bothered downloading a "codex" for AVI's, why can't they all be mpegs?
Posted by: mottiti

Re: 31 move jo kata - 04/01/04 11:34 PM

I wouldn't really recommend the sneakyfeet files.
Aaah well. Learn from it!
Posted by: Aikiscotsman

Re: 31 move jo kata - 05/05/04 04:02 AM

Rememeder if you really want to perfect the 31, you need to find some good Iwama tapes of Saito sensei(as he invented the kata). Or find a good Iwama school. there are many other schools practicing the 31 as they see it on video or a seminar but you really need alot of supervision to perfect this kata its is so huge in its detail