A new friend

Posted by: senseilou

A new friend - 07/26/03 01:29 AM

I think the purpose of this post everyone will agree is to share knowledge, and our opinions. There is another product here that I never thought I would get from the board and that is a friend. Twice now, I have people visit me and train in my dojo. I met one on another thread, and we became fast friends, more like brothers, however he moved back east and we lost touch. Another happened recently, when Chris from the Aikido board visited us. We have made another friend, and hope to see him again soon. Not only does this message board open our eyes, but allows us to make some new friends.
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: A new friend - 07/26/03 02:28 AM

Hey friend, you're paying for the Qantas ticket!
Posted by: Cato

Re: A new friend - 07/28/03 08:33 AM

It is good that something like this board can bring like minded people together, and that unlooked for friendships can evolve as a result. I would like to think that there is no animosity between any of us, even when we disagree quite strongly, and that a friendship of sorts exist amongst us all.

Budo
PS Lou, the air fare is much less from England - forget that Aussie bloke, he'd much rather be playing cricket anyway...probably. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: csinca

Re: A new friend - 07/28/03 10:42 AM

Sensei Lou,

It's been busy getting caught up from my trip but it was great fun working with you!

I agree that boards like this can bring us together, hopefully to grow friendships but at least to see something different than the style and people we see in our own dojo every day.

Of course the visits are easier for some than for others (and yes I plan to visit again), but I can tell this board it was worth the effort and the trip!

Oh yeah, I also learned a few new toys!

Chris
Posted by: Karate kid

Re: A new friend - 07/28/03 01:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by csinca:
Sensei Lou,

It's been busy getting caught up from my trip but it was great fun working with you!

I agree that boards like this can bring us together, hopefully to grow friendships but at least to see something different than the style and people we see in our own dojo every day.

Of course the visits are easier for some than for others (and yes I plan to visit again), but I can tell this board it was worth the effort and the trip!

Oh yeah, I also learned a few new toys!

Chris
[/QUOTE]

sensei loo, do you have your own dojo? I train in aikido, and would like to train with some aikidoka's. I live in Georgia. I would like to train with oyu, although I am only a kid.

Re: A new friend - 07/29/03 12:03 AM

Lets get something straight, I own a dojo, that makes me a step above homeless. There will be no tickets issued outside the Phoenix area, anyone though is more than welcome than welcome to join us and train. Anytime anyone is in Arizona, please give us a call. Karate Kid, you are certainly welcome, but once again, I am not an Aikido school. You may see elements of Aikido but our approach is defintely not Aikido, huh Chris? However I can tailor what you may want to learn. Looks like I may be going to Chris, the next time.
Posted by: csinca

Re: A new friend - 07/29/03 11:27 AM

Karate Kid

I practice at an Aikido dojo that is definitely not traditional, and when I worked out with Sensei Lou, it was even farther from Aikido. Don't get me wrong, it was great stuff and I plan to maintain a relationship with Sensei Lou (if he let's me) and workout with him again as it fits the direction that I personally am looking for. I learned some principles that will add some spice to my current style!
Posted by: Karate kid

Re: A new friend - 07/31/03 09:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by senseilou:
Lets get something straight, I own a dojo, that makes me a step above homeless. There will be no tickets issued outside the Phoenix area, anyone though is more than welcome than welcome to join us and train. Anytime anyone is in Arizona, please give us a call. Karate Kid, you are certainly welcome, but once again, I am not an Aikido school. You may see elements of Aikido but our approach is defintely not Aikido, huh Chris? However I can tailor what you may want to learn. Looks like I may be going to Chris, the next time.[/QUOTE]

sensei loo, what kind of MA do you take and teach at ur dojo?

Re: A new friend - 08/02/03 02:13 AM

Karate.......what I train in is basically 2 arts right now, San Jitsu Ryu, and Lua(the native art of Hawaii). I tinker with some Hawaiian Kempo Jutsu also. I pull anything that I find from other arts that I feel is worthy, from Chin Na to Sambo. What I teach is also 2 fold. Number 1 I teach San Jitsu ryu exactly as my Sensei taught it to me. However all my Sensei say you have to have your own art-how you approach things(however that doesn't seem to be a popular position on the posts)I also teach my 'interpretation' of San Jitsu which is based on my previous training and my current training. My Sensei says he knows what I can do with his art....what he wants to see is how we use his art. Therefore we have a 'family art' what I pass on to my students. My family art consists of:
San Jitsu Ryu
Goshin Budo Jujutsu(our Jujutsu base)
Torite Jutsu Ryu
Sanuces Ryu Jujutsu
Lua
Danzan Ryu Jujutsu
Eagle Claw Chin Na
Karate
Sambo
Principles of Kosho Ryu Kempo
My family art has elements of all these arts and I teach each art the way I was taught, then I use from each art what I feel is best, then put together basics, concepts and principles from each art. The result is what I like to do, and really don't care what you call it. My Soke honored us by giving us a style under the umbrella of San Jitsu. So I teach San Jitsu Ryu and Yume-Ha San Jitsu Ryu(my dojo's version of San Jitsu)I have studied and have Black Belts in Aikido, Aiki-Jujutsu and Okinawan Karate but do not practice those arts now. My focus at the present time is the Hawaiian arts and am trying to mesh this with my Family Art.