Northern Virginia

Posted by: mrhook

Northern Virginia - 05/01/03 11:00 AM

Hello,

My name is Bill Maenza. I trained in NY many years ago under Sensei Cliff Ehren who is a disciple of Master Behrens. I have since move to Northern Virginia and am desperate to find training. If you could offer any suggestions, I would be most appreciative.

God Bless,
Bill Maenza
Posted by: Joe Jutsu

Re: Northern Virginia - 05/01/03 12:46 PM

Hi Bill-

My only advice would be to check out a strictly Aikido webpage and look for a dojo finder. I believe that there are these search engines on both www.aikiweb.com and www.aikidofaq.com . I will probably be moving within the next year too, and finding an aikido dojo wherever I move is also a concern for me too. You may end up not being able to find an aikido dojo of your particular style, but I don't think that that would stop me personally from training. Anyway, good luck to you and plus Ki!

Joe
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Northern Virginia - 05/02/03 01:30 PM

Hi there,
If you want traditional Aikido, one of O'Sensei's student is in D.C. He is Satome Sensei and he was a direct student of O'Sensei. His Organization is ASU, Aikido Schools of Ueshieba. He is in central D.C. I believe. I personally think he is an arrogant jerk, but there are many people who really like him and his approach.

Re: Northern Virginia - 05/06/03 11:20 AM

Thank you both for the reply's. I have looked at the websites and have some leads. As I am new to training (from what I can see of the posts here!) I appreciate the guidance that you have both given me.

The art that I trained in was named Sensu Aiki-jitsu - I am sure that I destroyed the spelling of that! Sorry about that. I really enjoyed the training as I wouldn't call it traditional dojo training. It was out of someones house and was free of charge. Sounded too good to be true but the goal was just to propogate the art. Naturally when I visit a school that is run like a business it is a big adjustment.

I am older now and would probably not like the rougher schooling anymore, but I would like to find a great school for my son. There are som Gracie JJ schools in the area also...any feeling on a 10 year old and 40ish year old picking up that art. I know it is not what I trained in, but is it a close second.

Please understand that this was not meant to offend anyone...I am just not very educated in this arena.

Thanks for the understanding and guidance.
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Northern Virginia - 05/06/03 02:02 PM

Maybe a coincidence or not, but my son and I started training in Brazillian Jujutsu when I was almost 40 and he about 11. However we had years of training in other arts by then. Its a great art, but it is rough and physically demanding. If you have never had anyone on top of you, and you trying to get out from under them, its a true experience and usually you are worn out after a couple of minutes. Having said that, its great for stamina training and you can last longer when standing up. Your only concern might be the arm bars and chokes being applied to a 10 year old, without the benefit of other training. I wouldn't let anyone choke out my son at an early age, I just didn't feel it was a good thing for their bodies, until a bit older.

Re: Northern Virginia - 05/07/03 07:22 AM

Sensei Lou,

Thanks for the insight. You have brought up things to consider. My son did Hwar-do training, but it was a fairly commercial experience...tests every two months, collect belts...be a black belt in two years kind of thing. Way back when I had my training there were two belts - white and black. I trained 3 years 3 times a week for about 3 hours per session and was still a white. OK, it is possible that I am not the most gifted athlete, but it was explained that he was trying to avoid yellow belt fever among all of the students. And yes, we were all *white* belts except for one student who had just received his after 6 years at that pace.

Being familiar with schools in the DC area...can you make any recommendations for a Northern Va school? I am in the Manassas area. A friend started taking classes here http://www.fightworks.net/ and really likes it. Doesn't appear to have anything for children though.

Thanks again for your guidance,
Bill