Training in a gi.

Posted by: Cato

Training in a gi. - 04/17/03 06:32 AM

Does training in a dogi give a false sense of freedom of movement? Once outside the dojo and in everyday clothing, can aiki techniques still be made to work?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Training in a gi. - 04/17/03 10:31 AM

Good question Cato.
My partner and I were discussing this very thing the other day.
There would have to certain restrictions on footwear though. I normally wear high heels to go out for the evening, but they are lethal weapons. I WOULD kick an attacker wearing them, but not a training partner.
I definitely think that women should sometimes train in a skirt (obviously for modesty's sake, with shorts underneath).
We are planning a training session soon wearing street clothes with tables and chairs set out like a pub or club with weapons availabe such as plastic bottles and picnic glasses and broom handles to simulate snooker cues.
Sharon
Sharon
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Training in a gi. - 04/17/03 10:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wadowoman:
Good question Cato.
My partner and I were discussing this very thing the other day.
There would have to certain restrictions on footwear though. I normally wear high heels to go out for the evening, but they are lethal weapons. I WOULD kick an attacker wearing them, but not a training partner.
I definitely think that women should sometimes train in a skirt (obviously for modesty's sake, with shorts underneath).
We are planning a training session soon wearing street clothes with tables and chairs set out like a pub or club with weapons availabe such as plastic bottles and picnic glasses and broom handles to simulate snooker cues.
Sharon
Sharon
[/QUOTE]

Agreed
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Training in a gi. - 04/17/03 02:12 PM

Simple solution is to practice in street clothes. We do it all the time, either outside with shoes, or inside with barefeet. We also train in shorts as that is what we wear 90% of the time here. Its a bit rough on the knees in practicing groundwork, but it does teach a lesson.
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: Training in a gi. - 04/17/03 07:17 PM

When it comes to kicking, it helps as if you can kick full force using your foot, then a shoe will be brutal.

It does make locks feel more effecitve? Well then, practice to choke down on the wrist
Posted by: raccoon

Re: Training in a gi. - 04/17/03 08:58 PM

Hehe, I am going to hijack the devil's advocate's thread.

Slightly different question: why do we always train after warm up and stretching? (or do we all?) ... I mean, in self defense, its not like the offenders are going to give you time to jog, stretch, mokusou... and THEN engage. Any thoughts?

-raccoon
Posted by: Joe Jutsu

Re: Training in a gi. - 04/17/03 09:22 PM

I always assumed that we warm up to avoid pulling a muscle, and especially stretching out the wrists so I can live to train another day. On the street... grrr, I'm starting to hate this hypothetical situation, I don't plan on getting in a wrist lock or expect the confrontation to last nearly as long as practice does, but I'm young and am flexible so it really probably wouldn't matter anyway.

Joe

Re: Training in a gi. - 04/17/03 11:22 PM

How about we all develop a new way of walking that actually incorporates some stretching exercises? Maybe an overly long stride to keep the groin stretched and an exagerated arm swing, whilst gently rotating the hips, shaking the wrists and wobbling the head from side to side? Not only would it keep you perfectly honed for any potential attack, it may well also stop people attcking you in the first place. I mean, who the hell would attack someone who's crazy enough to walk like that?? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Now, about this gi wearing business...

Budo
Posted by: raccoon

Re: Training in a gi. - 04/17/03 11:31 PM

Good idea... and similarly, I suggest all budoka start walking around with gi on ALL THE TIME [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

-raccoon

Re: Training in a gi. - 04/18/03 10:18 AM

WHAT!!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/eek.gif[/IMG] You mean there are people who don't wear their gi all the time. That's the end of this thread then. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

I was just curious to find out what those of us who practice high kicks in particualr thought of the trying them in normal clothing, which obviously restricts their movement.

It is interesting that so many sensei think it important to practice in everyday clothing, but it does beg a a few more questions.(OH C'mon, you should've known therwould be a twist in the plot eventually [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] ).

Suppose it is found that a particular kick is not practical outside the dojo, do we then stop practising it? Or perhaps practice it less and concentrate upon those techniques that do work in jeans? If so, are we then undermining the integrity of our art? And if not, what would be the point in training without your dogi in the first place if you aren't going to take anything from the lesson?

I suppose you could argue that once you know which techniques work outside the dojo you can leave out those that don't. But that would be contrary to the widely held opinion that we fight as we train, wouldn't it?

Budo

[This message has been edited by Cato (edited 04-18-2003).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Training in a gi. - 04/18/03 12:49 PM

I tend to concentrate on more practical stuff in the dojo. The flash stuff such as jumping and spinning kicks are great for body control etc. so we do those too.
I think that what is more imortant is making sure are students know which are which. I often demonstrate a technique/combination and say "this is great in sparring but not street practical" or "this combination is not very practical but it is a good exercise for...... balance/co-ordination/testing this stance etc...."
Not because I am a know-all, but because I have been lucky enough to train under people that have a lot of experienc in security work etc.
Sharon
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Training in a gi. - 04/18/03 07:07 PM

I truly believe that there is dojo art and street art. Many of the things we do is to help learn other things. We do not kick high, but we do in the dojo, practice high, apply low. So we do one thing in the dojo and another for the street. In practicing high, you stretch, and work on the kicks. Its much easier and quicker to go low, so our practice of kicks facilitates our street kicks. Same is true in other parts of training thats why we practice in clothes.
To say you practice like you play is true, but also there are things we do on the street, that you can't do in the dojo, rolling neck breaks, guillitine neck break rolls etc. So we walk through them so we have an uke the next day. Throat strikes and eye strikes are also hard to practice full force in the dojo. We do a technique that when attacked by a kick we barrell roll the persons standing leg, right up against the knee. For real, the attacker has his leg destroyed, but in the dojo we can only simulate this. Dojo art vs. street art.