what's the worst thing done/ told to you on the tatami?

Posted by: raccoon

what's the worst thing done/ told to you on the tatami? - 04/10/03 03:24 PM

What’s the worst that had happened to you on the aikido tatami? What’s the wrathiest feat you’ve witness on the aikido mats?

Of most Japanese men I’ve studied with, they won’t hesitate for a nanosecond before they smack you on the head and call you “aho”/ “baka” (stupid). The same is observed in sensei in karate, kobudo, kendo, iaido, jujitsu, and even sushi chief (yes, I am learning sushi…)

However, I’ve yet to see anything like that on the aikido mats. Does that make them softer? I don’t know. Kawahara shihan is one of the wrathiest man I’ve ever live to train with. I almost wanted to cry when he grabbed me to show my partner how to properly ni-kyo…

I just thought this is interesting observation. Sensei in budo are supposed to guide and maybe push their students (I think), but I see that this (pushing student) is done very differently in aikido. For those of you who cross train, any thoughts?

-raccoon

P.S. I just want to vent off my frustrations and maybe embarrassment. I got send home early last night from karate practice, because I was tired and had no kime, I also wasn’t kiaiing. I got clobbered on the head and told “no good. If no focus, no kiai, better no come. Go home. Bye bye”.

Most of the time, I go to aikido practice half dead from school/work and possibly karate. I never got told that. I am so hurt! ;_;
Posted by: senseilou

Re: what's the worst thing done/ told to you on the tatami? - 04/11/03 01:17 AM

I am a Sandan-you are sh*t-that is what I was told when asked how come this person could do things so easy that were difficult for me. Nice dojo atmosphere huh? In the same dojo I saw an assistant instructor, Sandan, get stabbed in the butt and all he did was laugh about it. He was stuck by a white belt, shame shame. In this same school, advance student would tell you watch my wrist-don't twist too hard, watch my elbow, don't hit it too hard. Then you would go easy and they would wiggle out or walk away from you saying your technique sucked.
Yea, venting, its a good thing, but we need to learn from it.Learning may be leaving the dojo, and moving on, which uis exactly what I did.
Posted by: Cato

Re: what's the worst thing done/ told to you on the tatami? - 04/11/03 04:46 PM

I don't think I've ever had any memorably bad things happen to me on the tatami, nor any particularly funny things either. Sorry. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: raccoon

Re: what's the worst thing done/ told to you on the tatami? - 04/12/03 05:25 AM

This has to be the first time I see anyone using a sad face while grieving the lack of bad experiences...
Posted by: Cato

Re: what's the worst thing done/ told to you on the tatami? - 04/13/03 04:58 AM

All experiences are good, even if they're bad ones [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG]

What's the expression - If it doesn't break you, it makes you stronger.